4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Windshield questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Windshield questions

I have two questions regarding the windshields on our cars.

First of all, does anyone else have a lot of specks in their windshield that make it hard to see at night, especially when it is raining? Is it worth replacing the windshield just for this reason? How much is a windshield? I also think the fact that my windshield has a lot of specks might be why the windshield wipers make an annoying rubbing noise, even when I have just replaced them (within a month afterwards).

Secondly, does anyone know how to re-aim the windshield washer streams? My passenger-side washer stream has been aimed incorrectly since I first bought this car in 1999 (it squirts over the roof unless I'm at highway speed). It never bothered me b/c when I get to highway speed, the stream would be forced down into the windshield, but since I now live in the city and don't drive more than 2 times a week, and its usually local driving, I want to fix the aim finally, if it's possible.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

YES, it is worth replacing the windshield. Mine was pretty much covered with tiny and medium chips, and when it suddenly developed an 18 inch crack, I replaced it. Wow, what a difference. As far as I'm concerned, it was probably the best $150 I've spent on my car. I should have replaced it when I first got it 4 years ago.

The difference is like night and day.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:23 PM

to reaim your washer just take a needle and put in the hole on the washer and use it as a handle and turn the hole to where you want it.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Yes - my windshield is pitted and I get an INSANE amount of glare from on-coming traffic lights being dispersed through the glass. In rain, when you add the reflection off the pavement, I'm just driving blind - following the car in front of me basically... I can't see sh*t - no road marking paint, no reflectors, etc. I really need to replace mine too...
Old 01-15-2006, 04:39 PM

ive noticed that too at night. and my wipers make that horrible noise also even with brand new blades it drives me crazy. is there anything that can be done about that noise besides a new windshield?
Old 01-15-2006, 04:43 PM
suicidalspd99

Originally Posted by mjb95maxse
ive noticed that too at night. and my wipers make that horrible noise also even with brand new blades it drives me crazy. is there anything that can be done about that noise besides a new windshield?
Yeah don't use your wipers.
If you have insurance then just get a new windshield. I do alot of driving and I get one almost every year. It will not make your insurance go up. I would go with a local well known company and not big name glass companies. Most larger companies use crappy windshield. Just my .02

Old 01-15-2006, 05:50 PM

Yeah I got that problem. thousands of little chips in the glass no bigger than a pin head. I have mad glare too. It's annoying.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by suicidalspd99
Yeah don't use your wipers.
If you have insurance then just get a new windshield. I do alot of driving and I get one almost every year. It will not make your insurance go up. I would go with a local well known company and not big name glass companies. Most larger companies use crappy windshield. Just my .02
Unfortunately, in many states, insurance does not cover the windshield with a zero-deductible. I have to pay my regular comprehensive deductible if I want to replace the windshield. The laws (insurnace converage) vary from state to state.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:11 PM

Hey mikeg75,
if you have full coverage insurance do what I did. I'm in the Army and when I picked up my Max from its return boat ride from Germany my windshield looked like ****. I had been paying my insurance faithfully for 6 plus yrs without making a claim so I brought that to their attention. They agreed and paid for a new windshield. BTW my insurance company at the time was State Farm. As for the wiper jumps try using a little Rain X, you'll be amazed how good it works, especially when you're going 125 mph plus (like you can in Germany). Hope this helps. MaxGig
Old 01-16-2006, 06:06 AM

I assume any body shop can do windshields, correct? My mechanic is also a body repair place so I think when I bring the car in for inspection in Feb., I'm going to ask for a new windshield at that time.

Maxgig, thanks for the advice. I'm going to ask my insurance rep that question.

And I'll try Rain X too.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:54 AM

Mikeg75:

By "specks", do you mean you have deposits on your windshield or are they pin hole chips caused by stones? I had a similar problem with my Max where I couldn't clean the windshield thoroughly and the wipers would chatter and "gum" up and then stick. It ended up being road grime and tar on my windshield from highway driving. I bought a can of Tarminator, yes, that is the name, made by (you'll love this name) Stoner products. You should be able to get it from Autozone or PepBoys.

Spray it on and take a scotchbrite pad to work it in the the glass and wiper blades if they are a little old. Then, wash the entire windshield and wipers too with regular car wash solution. You'll be amazed at how clean it makes it. Plus, the water will bead off the glass. You can also use this product to remove tar on the wheel wells and rockers. Good luck and hope it works in lieu of replacing your windshield, which can cause rust inside the upper windshield seal and possibly leaks later on.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:51 PM

I'm fairly certain that the specks are from tiny stones hitting the windshield - I know I've driven by plenty of large trucks on i-95, i-76, and other roads around here. I even remember once passing a dump truck on i-95, with the sound of all the little stones hitting me.

When I got the car in '99, there was one larger speck that I noticed even before I bought the car. Since then, it's like a galaxy of little stars have sprung up all around it.

It's gotten mighty cold again here so I don't think I'll be tarminating it before Feb., when I take it in.

Is there really a large risk of a leak when a windshield is replaced? I certainly don't want that, since I take very good care of my Max.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:03 PM

Not so much a risk on springing a leak, but my fiance' had her windshield replaced three times and each time the mechanic pulled off the upper weather strip, it caused the very center of the molding where it meets the roof to begin rusting. Now, I have to keep using a dremel to remove the rust as close as I can to the strip and then touch it up. Usually every three to four months. The reason is that the rust is coming from underneath the windshield molding. Good luck with the pitted windshield. Besides a windshield restoration kit (try Eastwood.com) I don't know of anything to permanently fill in chips. At least removing the film should help cut the night driving glare. You could buy a can and take your car to a indoor hand carwash until it gets warmer. Just a thought.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:22 PM

Is it really only about 150 to replace cuz if it is I just might do that.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:18 AM

I'm currently shopping around for a new windshield as well, to see who has the best price.

I've given up on trying to fix mine. I have this horrible glare when it rains, it's almost like trying to look through stained glass. I've tried everything except this "tarminator". I've tried - ammonia, turpentine, acetone, alcohol, bug/tar remover - I think turpentine (aka paint remover is stronger than tarminator). And my windshield still looks like complete crap when it rains.

I'll probably do this pretty soon and update you guys on what price I paid for the new windshield.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:02 AM
I30"T"

Mikeg and phillymax:

I live in Northeast philly and if u know the area, there's a place called steves auto glass at red lion ave and bustleton ave........i got mine done there for like 165 or so.....they are really good..........my old one had a crack from one side to the other.........and i got it back the same day.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:22 AM

Thanks Preet, for the info. I'll give them a call sometime and see what they can do for me.