4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to 'Sack out your emblems! (or just black them out)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 11:25 PM

How to 'Sack out your emblems! (or just black them out)

Ok. Here's my writeup on how I 'Sacked out my emblems. i call it 'sacked out cuz im eyesack killa, and im cool like that lol jk... but here goes:
Step one: Removal of Emblems
Take fishing line,preferably the strong kind (higher test weight = stronger i think). I used crappy stuff that i found from when i was younger, but it kept snapping and was annoying.

Wind it around your finger tips like dental floss

With a sawing motion, get in between the body and the emblem and saw through the glue holding it on. You're done! The grill emblem has two pins holding it in, so i took a screw driver and popped it out.

Step two: Painting the Emblems
Go to local hobby shop and buy these things:
1. Testor's "Colors by BOYD Smoke Grey Pearl Enamel Paint spray
2. Testor's "Colors by BOYD" Dusty Rose Pearl Enamel Paint spray
-you can use any other color pearl, but this is what i chose. Blue or green might look cool too, depending on what color car you have
3. Testor's Gloss Cote spray
4. Quick Grip All purpose Permanent Adhesive (comes in a yellow and green tube)

Now that you have these materials you need to put them to use!
4. In a garage or other well ventilated, and i mean WELL ventilated, unless ur into the nausiating headache that comes with a spray can 'high', lay newspaper down on a table or other flat surface
5. Spread emblems across paper; make sure they're flat
6. Take the cap off the Smoke Gray Pearl paint. Hold the can about 10 inches above the emblems. Proceed to spray them with a light coat. make sure you get all angles too!
7. Immediately take the other color paint (Dusty Rose Pearl in this case) and apply in the same fashion. You'll notice that the more you spray on, the more of the color you'll see in the black. It's up to you how much color saturation you want. I was going for a reddish 'tint' in the black, so i used the red a little less than the black.
8. On the "Nissan" hamburger emblems: Use a cotton swab to wick away paint from the letters to make it look cleaner. You can opt not to do this, but it won't look as good.
9. Repeat steps 6-8 about 10 times to get a nice thick layer of paint on there. They say to wait to apply multiple coats, but i like to lay it on thick.
10. Wait until the paint is dry at least on the top layer so it has a 'skin' to apply the clear coat. Spray on a nice thick layer to protect the paint and make it look extra shiny.
11. *Between coats of paint, i recommend using very small tipped tweezers (took them out of my dissection kit) to move the emblems around so they don't stick to the paper*
12. Leave emblems for a few hours (or overnight) to dry. DON'T TOUCH THEM OR ELSE YOU'LL HAVE FINGERPRINT MARKS ON THEM! if you do tho, just take your finger LIGHTLY and smoothe over the marks to erase them. if this doesn't work, you'll have to apply more paint.
13. With a mixture of hot water and dishwashing soap, use a sponge, not brillo or anything that'll scratch up ur beautiful paint, try and scrub some of the old glue off until there's no stray pieces. rinse off the soap and water. dry it with a microfiber or other towel.
14. When your emblems are dry (youll know because the paint won't be squishy anymore), use the Quick Grip to stick em back on. Use this stuff sparingly. You should apply little beads of it inside the crevices of the emblems so there's enough that when you push them against the body of your car it'll smush out to cover the rim of the emblems, but not enough to drip all over the car. This stuff dries really fast, so be quick and don't put them on crooked. (i messed up my 'a' a little bit but ill fix it on a day off) X(
15. Congratulations! you now have nice, cool looking emblems!
* Paint codes *
Smoke Grey Pearl: 52924
Dusty Rose Pearl: 52917
Gloss Cote: 1261
Total cost: around 20 bucks
***Look for pics below***
Old 11-25-2005, 11:27 PM

Pics!

enjoy!

Old 11-26-2005, 12:15 AM

dont know what is it but i think i perfer using a gunmetal or pure black over that, looks kinda redish or somthing but maybe thats how its supposed to be. It is the first time ive seen that though so for that. Goodjob!
-Ryan
Old 11-26-2005, 01:36 AM

yep, i wanted to do something that wasn't the same black'ed out emblems. i wanted something original because i like to call my car my own. i chose to mix the black and red to try and make a red tinted black out. i like how it came out. but not everybody will, that's what modding is all about yeah? making your car YOURS. 1 step out of many for me...
Old 11-26-2005, 04:23 AM

looks like santa's maxima to me..
Old 11-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Team Ramrod

Can't say I like the way it looks with the color of you car, but like you said... you're making your cars yours. Good job.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks pink to me.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

pink nuttsacked out
Old 11-26-2005, 11:04 AM

That does look like "sack" great work
Old 11-26-2005, 12:21 PM

lol thanks guys. i think pink is cool... and no im not gay.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by eyesack killa
I disagree

I think its a weird color, but whatever its your car
Old 11-26-2005, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
pink nuttsacked out
quoted for the truth.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:33 PM
The original VQ...

check the sig
Old 11-27-2005, 01:52 PM

Location: a charming town in Connecticut first settled in the 1600s
points for creativity! got a pic from a little further away?
Old 11-27-2005, 02:16 PM

most dont need a writeup to paint their emblems
Old 11-27-2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
lolll
Old 12-01-2005, 12:20 AM
VIP

You should have buffed it before you put them back on. See the difference in the paint? But cool, you're making your maxima custom to your likings, are you going to paint your car that color too? That would be interesting.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:37 AM

lol Digital, i DEF need a buff job... a whole car detail would be nice. i've been playing with the thought of trying to work at nissan's detail shop this summer xDDD just to get some free buf***e outta them. hell, they've robbed me enough already! lol and i have been thinking of how cool it would be to make my max that color. i don't think i will, but i am def considering at least doing the center console and vents and stuff that color to match. yeah...... NEEEEED a buff job. you know of any good / cheap places wait nm ur in CT... lol but how much does a total car buffer usually cost u think? ill go ask the detail forum, but Thanks For The NON-FLAMING feedback! (seems to be a problem lately...) i was also thinking about, if i EVER get enough free time, which i don't ever expect, doing my chrome colored door handles and possibly my weatherstripping... i think that might be taking it one or two steps too ricey tho. i guess the only way to see is to photochop or actually try it. Again, i deeply appreciate your feedback and others who didn't flame and just put their opinion.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:43 AM
VIP

The price varies by shop, I'm sure you can get it done for under 100 somewhere, unsure where though. I haven't needed to have either of my Maximas buffed out as of yet.

And be aware of what's rice and what's Maxima. Be tasteful with your modding, you will thank yourself later. Again, you are not driving a Honda.

Np on the feedback, anytime.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:22 AM
.org window licker

ya know that is a very nice idea
i personally would have gone to a paint shop and found a white with a metalic pearl or something like that to paint them emblems would have made them stand out more
but even though its not the color i would have chosen i like em gives em a metalic look great job!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 01:23 AM
.org window licker

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
ya know there are peeps out there that dont want to mess up things and would like to c that someone else had tried it and suceeded b for messing something up
just my 2 cents
Old 12-01-2005, 01:27 AM
.org window licker

Ok. Here's my writeup on how I 'Sacked out my emblems. i call it 'sacked out cuz im eyesack killa, and im cool like that lol jk... but here goes:
Step one: Removal of Emblems
Take fishing line,preferably the strong kind (higher test weight = stronger i think). I used crappy stuff that i found from when i was younger, but it kept snapping and was annoying.

Wind it around your finger tips like dental floss

With a sawing motion, get in between the body and the emblem and saw through the glue holding it on. You're done! The grill emblem has two pins holding it in, so i took a screw driver and popped it out.

Step two: Painting the Emblems
Go to local hobby shop and buy these things:
1. Testor's "Colors by BOYD Smoke Grey Pearl Enamel Paint spray
2. Testor's "Colors by BOYD" Dusty Rose Pearl Enamel Paint spray
-you can use any other color pearl, but this is what i chose. Blue or green might look cool too, depending on what color car you have
3. Testor's Gloss Cote spray
4. Quick Grip All purpose Permanent Adhesive (comes in a yellow and green tube)

Now that you have these materials you need to put them to use!
4. In a garage or other well ventilated, and i mean WELL ventilated, unless ur into the nausiating headache that comes with a spray can 'high', lay newspaper down on a table or other flat surface
5. Spread emblems across paper; make sure they're flat
6. Take the cap off the Smoke Gray Pearl paint. Hold the can about 10 inches above the emblems. Proceed to spray them with a light coat. make sure you get all angles too!
7. Immediately take the other color paint (Dusty Rose Pearl in this case) and apply in the same fashion. You'll notice that the more you spray on, the more of the color you'll see in the black. It's up to you how much color saturation you want. I was going for a reddish 'tint' in the black, so i used the red a little less than the black.
8. On the "Nissan" hamburger emblems: Use a cotton swab to wick away paint from the letters to make it look cleaner. You can opt not to do this, but it won't look as good.
9. Repeat steps 6-8 about 10 times to get a nice thick layer of paint on there. They say to wait to apply multiple coats, but i like to lay it on thick.
10. Wait until the paint is dry at least on the top layer so it has a 'skin' to apply the clear coat. Spray on a nice thick layer to protect the paint and make it look extra shiny.
11. *Between coats of paint, i recommend using very small tipped tweezers (took them out of my dissection kit) to move the emblems around so they don't stick to the paper*
12. Leave emblems for a few hours (or overnight) to dry. DON'T TOUCH THEM OR ELSE YOU'LL HAVE FINGERPRINT MARKS ON THEM! if you do tho, just take your finger LIGHTLY and smoothe over the marks to erase them. if this doesn't work, you'll have to apply more paint.
13. With a mixture of hot water and dishwashing soap, use a sponge, not brillo or anything that'll scratch up ur beautiful paint, try and scrub some of the old glue off until there's no stray pieces. rinse off the soap and water. dry it with a microfiber or other towel.
14. When your emblems are dry (youll know because the paint won't be squishy anymore), use the Quick Grip to stick em back on. Use this stuff sparingly. You should apply little beads of it inside the crevices of the emblems so there's enough that when you push them against the body of your car it'll smush out to cover the rim of the emblems, but not enough to drip all over the car. This stuff dries really fast, so be quick and don't put them on crooked. (i messed up my 'a' a little bit but ill fix it on a day off) X(
15. Congratulations! you now have nice, cool looking emblems!
* Paint codes *
Smoke Grey Pearl: 52924
Dusty Rose Pearl: 52917
Gloss Cote: 1261
Total cost: around 20 bucks
***Look for pics below***
dont want to step in ur thing but i would suggest pulling the emblems off and painting them once they are done than go get some more 3m double sided sticky tape and put them back in there stock place!!
just a suggestion, but when doing this u must use the fishing line trick if u do that than when u heat the emblems up they will not rinkle (the crome paint on tip will rinkle if u bend them off when they are hot)
once again great job!!
Old 12-01-2005, 01:47 PM
^ Jeff™

NO WAY I am painting over my already uber-elite titanium colored badges...
Old 12-01-2005, 01:51 PM
^ Jeff™

...another suggestion for your write-up...

Remove all glue and clean up the emblems right after you take them off of the car, rather than trying to remove it all after you've painted them.

Also, by cleaning them prior to painting you are giving a MUCH better (read: smoother) surface than not cleaning beforehand.

Another suggestion would probably be to provide a coat of primer to help the paint stick on better.