4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tires Help Asap

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 10:27 AM

Tires Help Asap

well, i now need new tires a lot sooner than i had hoped. stepped out of my car today when i got home from school and heard hissing. turns out there's a big hex head screw stuck in my front right. now my car is riding on rims in that corner. my rear left also has a nail in it but ive had that for a few months. HERE IS MY QUESTION... What are the BEST all year round tires? I live in NJ and a Cold COLD winter is supposed to be coming. I want really nice tires with the best grip on wet surfaces, snow, and dry roads for summer. But i also can't spend an arm and a leg. I would like to have them by the end of this week if possible, so please help me guys! you all have been such an enourmous help in the past, and i know you will this time too. thanks so much!
Old 11-16-2005, 10:32 AM

it's really up to what u can afford.....right now im switchin from NITTO 555 to KUMHO they're both good tires but i think im kinda liking the KUMHO'S better.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:35 AM
kormax97

spend about 500 bucks for all 4. you'll get a nice set of tires for winter. the brand and model all depends on you. i'm on nitto right now but it's for only summer. i have set of stock infinity rims for snow with goodyear or firestone on it... i forget.. i never paid attention.

also this thread should be in wheel/tires

Old 11-16-2005, 10:40 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by kormax97
spend about 500 bucks for all 4.
Not if he's on stock 15's
Old 11-16-2005, 10:42 AM
kormax97

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Not if he's on stock 15's
True.

Unless of course if he wants to.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:46 AM
dot dot dot ...

But he doesn't have to,

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...68&rd=15&ar=60

this is what I have on my stockers. ~275$ for all 4.

BTW, Wrong forum .... this has been asked before, look in the appropriate forum. (Wheels/Tire)
Old 11-16-2005, 11:37 AM

BTW, Wrong forum .... this has been asked before, look in the appropriate forum. (Wheels/Tire)
oops sorry, i was kinda panicking and didn't look cuz i was in school. but thanks for the help guys! *yeah im on them stock 15's... i just need something to get me by till next year when i can afford rims to go with my new suspension
Old 11-16-2005, 11:46 AM

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...d=006821&ar=60

these falkens look nice, only 50 bucks a pop, but will they look weird on my 15's? i don't have my car lowered or anything and i just have ****ty hubcaps.
i was also looking at these:
and these
Old 11-16-2005, 01:34 PM

I would recommened the falken 512s, great all season tire.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:48 PM

***** UPDATE ****** so i went shopping around to JustTires, Pep Boys, and Firestone. nobody had the yokohama avid h4's that i wanted, and many said they were over-rated. I thought about getting the Falkens, but they had to be ordered and i can't wait the day or two for new tires. So, i went to Goodyear. They have the most POS tires i've ever laid eyes on. AND overpriced as all hell. So, one last trip, i went to STS and turns out the Falkens ARE really good tires, contrary to my skeptisism. but nobody around here sells them. BUT i did ask if i could get a set of Toyo Proxy 4's. Apparently they're discontinued. x( STS was however having a sale of Toyo Proxy TPT's buy 3 get 1 free, and the guy told me in the 20 yrs of selling tires, these were his favorite! so, to make a long story short, 430 bucks later, im ridin on a brand new set of Toyo Proxy TPT's.
OMG THEY ARE AWESOME! i went and tested them out for an hour or so, and here's what i've concluded. My 3 mismatched tires SUCKED BUTT. These tires perform 10fold better wet than my old ones did dry. The overall ride is MUCH improved. Noise is reduced. Cornering grip is CRAZY! 25 mph around my street, which is more than 90 degree turn, no loss of traction! No hydroplaning either! i just have to say, if u have shtty tires, get ridda them! k thx
Old 11-16-2005, 10:01 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by eyesack killa
25 mph around my street, which is more than 90 degree turn, no loss of traction! No hydroplaning either!
Looks like another member will be putting themselves through a mailbox soon ...
Old 11-16-2005, 10:45 PM

Looks like another member will be putting themselves through a mailbox soon ...
thx for the reminder... i should watch myself but like i said i was just testing
Old 11-16-2005, 11:23 PM

your not just replacing the tires cause of a nail and screw are you... I mean they can be patched... unless it's through the sidewall... then it might not be patchable...
or if it's just a huge gapping hole.. but if the air was leaking out and you could hear it hissing then it's prolly not that big...
eh.. i dunno
winter tires?
wouldn't know much about that here
Old 11-17-2005, 02:31 PM

hehe 3rd man ur right, except these tires were bald and i was really just getting used to sliding around corners (dry roads) at 8-10 mph... an yeah the screw was about the diameter of my forefinger and flattened the tire in less that 10 minutes. It was just time for a change. but i def reccomend the toyo's. great shoes!
Old 11-17-2005, 03:26 PM

cool. I have wondered about TPTs for awhile... I still think I am gonna try out the ziex 512s though (prolly got 4 or 5000 miles before my proxes wear out... which will be after only 15000 miles on them!)... since they're so cheap and TPTs are a little much
Old 11-17-2005, 04:09 PM

tru. good luck finding the falkens, at least in my area they are tough to find... what's the tread life on them? mine have 65,000 i think
Old 11-17-2005, 04:37 PM

I actually just got the Goodyear Assurance Triple-treads (not comfort-treads) and I love them. They have a very nice aggressive look and truly grip in dry and wet from experience and in snow and ice if tirerack.com was right. I paid 510 for a set mounted and balanced etc.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:48 PM

tru. good luck finding the falkens, at least in my area they are tough to find... what's the tread life on them? mine have 65,000 i think
25 if your lucky on the falkens
Old 11-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

any help here?

whats the biggest size rims that can fit on the 4th generation maxima...96 or 97 that is without having problems with handling and taking turns, and wats the biggest size rims that can be put on with performance lowering springs that would lower 1.5" at front and 1.3" in the back? it theres a difference.
thx for responses if any =)
Old 11-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Maintenance Monster

***** UPDATE ****** so i went shopping around to JustTires, Pep Boys, and Firestone. nobody had the yokohama avid h4's that i wanted, and many said they were over-rated. I thought about getting the Falkens, but they had to be ordered and i can't wait the day or two for new tires. So, i went to Goodyear. They have the most POS tires i've ever laid eyes on. AND overpriced as all hell. So, one last trip, i went to STS and turns out the Falkens ARE really good tires, contrary to my skeptisism. but nobody around here sells them. BUT i did ask if i could get a set of Toyo Proxy 4's. Apparently they're discontinued. x( STS was however having a sale of Toyo Proxy TPT's buy 3 get 1 free, and the guy told me in the 20 yrs of selling tires, these were his favorite! so, to make a long story short, 430 bucks later, im ridin on a brand new set of Toyo Proxy TPT's.
A few things to note:
1) Tire guys love to sell tires they have in stock, or models that they routinely sell. They make more money on those models. If you tell them specifically what you want, they will often try to pump a similar model they have for that reason. However, if they are a reputable tire dealer, there is some value in that they will not recommend crap tires, and they have hundreds of installed sets to base that judgment on, which is often more concrete than the advice that set you with the non-stock model you're asking about. So listen closely and see *why* they claim such-and-such is overrated, or why the SuperMegaGrips they have in stock are supposed to be better.

As for people's ability to rate street tires, it's very questionable too. Depending on what my last set was, and how and how long I've been using my new set is, my opinion on the new tires will vary greatly. So if you read the reports on Tire Rack, etc, take every opinion with a grain of salt. Keep in mind what kind of driver they are, what their values are, what conditions they drive in, how long they've had them (tires are almost always best when brand new, and they lose their performance as they age and wear).

2) You will find wide variation in pricing and availability. The more chain-storish the place, the more likely they will not carry the standard brand models, but some similar, cheaper models by the big brands. I personally stick to the local tire guys who stock the full retail models of the big names. I like to use tirerack.com to find a couple of possible sets, and call the local stores for a price quote. Saves everyone a lot of hassle, and since they know me they will order them and schedule my install without delay.

3) All brands have very good and very cruddy tires. Michelin, Goodyear, Toyo, Falken, etc. Anyone categorically dismissing a brand without getting specific about the tire model and intended application is not very intelligent. Since you didn't tell me which Falkens and which Goodyears, it's hard to make a judgment on whether people were giving you good input.

OMG THEY ARE AWESOME! i went and tested them out for an hour or so, and here's what i've concluded. My 3 mismatched tires SUCKED BUTT. These tires perform 10fold better wet than my old ones did dry. The overall ride is MUCH improved. Noise is reduced. Cornering grip is CRAZY! 25 mph around my street, which is more than 90 degree turn, no loss of traction! No hydroplaning either! i just have to say, if u have shtty tires, get ridda them! k thx
Old, mismatched tires? I think you would have seen an improvement with just about anything. Particularly in rain or snow. Hopefully the siping is cut deep, and they hold up well so this performance lasts. [soapbox] Tires are the jock strap of driving. If you're riding on crappy tires, you deserve to get your ***** crushed. [/soapbox]

Dave
Old 11-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
[soapbox] Tires are the jock strap of driving. If you're riding on crappy tires, you deserve to get your ***** crushed. [/soapbox]

Dave

ha ha ha Dave.. thanks for the laugh...
Old 11-22-2005, 08:22 PM

these falkens look nice, only 50 bucks a pop, but will they look weird on my 15's? i don't have my car lowered or anything and i just have ****ty hubcaps.
i was also looking at these:
and these
oh yeah lol rofl i agree with the ball crushing thing!