4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Squeeky suspension... What could be the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 01:53 PM
nycmaximas member

Squeeky suspension... What could be the problem?

I've noticed that when I go over bumps or rough road my suspension squeeks and its getting annoying and embarassing... People say " that car looks nice and clean but it sounds old and worn" What could be the problem? Any advice?

Thanks,
Old 10-31-2005, 01:55 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Could be ball-joints... could be worn spring isolators, could be a bad strut... is that the original suspension on your 98?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:59 PM
nycmaximas member

No, I have Tein S-Tech and AGX's on her from about 1 year and a half. The roads in NY are pretty harsh...
Old 10-31-2005, 02:00 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Well, it could be a bunch of things , but check out the ball joints if they are the orginals.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:05 PM
nycmaximas member

thanks ball joints Ill add that to the O2 sensor replacement and carpet shampoo appointment this month... Thanks again
Old 10-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by BORQUA79
thanks ball joints Ill add that to the O2 sensor replacement and carpet shampoo appointment this month... Thanks again
I assume you mean that you'll have the ball-joints inspected - don't replace them on the advice of some random fella giving advice over an internet forum
Old 10-31-2005, 02:19 PM
nycmaximas member

lol nah definatly... Im gonna get it checked but i just wanted to know what to look for.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:26 AM

I think i remember reading somewhere on here about the upper strut bushings cause creaking when wheels are being turned
Old 11-04-2005, 06:54 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

The chamfered deflector isolation shims on your johnson rods are probably worn. Call the dealer and order some new ones. They shouldn't be more than $20 each (you'll probably need 3 of them).
Old 11-04-2005, 10:47 AM

I have the same squeak on mine, the balljoints are all good and the struts and mounts are only a year old, but it sounds like it's coming from pretty high up on the suspension. I'd just take the thing to a mechanic and have them diagnose it and just do the work yourself. Most shops will tell you everything that's wrong with your car and then you can just go fix it yourself.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If it's squeaks you're getting, and not creaks, then it's most likely caused by one or more bushings. As a test, get under the car and spray some silicone dry lube on all your bushings (control arm bushings, tie rod end bushings etc.) and see if that makes a difference. Also check to make sure that none of them are falling apart. Your bushings take a bigger beating with a stiffer setup. If they are, I recommend investing in some Energy Suspension bushings.

You may also want to make sure that all the bolts that hold your struts in place are tight and torqued to spec. Just don't over torque them.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:13 PM
nycmaximas member

Originally Posted by rocco5446
If it's squeaks you're getting, and not creaks, then it's most likely caused by one or more bushings. As a test, get under the car and spray some silicone dry lube on all your bushings (control arm bushings, tie rod end bushings etc.) and see if that makes a difference. Also check to make sure that none of them are falling apart. Your bushings take a bigger beating with a stiffer setup. If they are, I recommend investing in some Energy Suspension bushings.

You may also want to make sure that all the bolts that hold your struts in place are tight and torqued to spec. Just don't over torque them.
I guess checking the torque is something that I could do ASAP... Whould anyone know whats the torque specs required??? I do have a strut bar and I didnt have any specific torque??? Ill also look into that silicone dry lube...

Besides that I have an appointment with my mechanic... i might as well do my tune-up while Im there...
Old 11-08-2005, 07:18 PM
nycmaximas member

Originally Posted by mzmtg
The chamfered deflector isolation shims on your johnson rods are probably worn. Call the dealer and order some new ones. They shouldn't be more than $20 each (you'll probably need 3 of them).
WOW... I feel like im lost in a lecture on stem cell regenerative hydrophysics class... j/k

Whats a johnson rod or chamfered deflector isolation shims???

Im totally clueless... and very much a novice on those parts aswell as others...

Thanks
Old 11-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BORQUA79
WOW... I feel like im lost in a lecture on stem cell regenerative hydrophysics class... j/k

Whats a johnson rod or chamfered deflector isolation shims???

Im totally clueless... and very much a novice on those parts aswell as others...

Thanks
It's orgers form of entertainment...
Anyway, just replace the strut bearing.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:03 PM
nycmaximas member

Originally Posted by JwaxMax99
Ohhh I understand... Smart Donkeys huh

LOL... Anyway thanks for the advice Jwax

Im gonna test the olde Johnson Rod now
Old 11-09-2005, 07:47 PM

I had creaks and squeeks and clunks coming from my suspension too. (GC and AGX set up)

What I found:
I replaced the upper strut bearings. This fixed the clunking sounds. This sound occurs when you are turning, and the worn bearing causes the upper strut seating to not turn. Because the seating isnt turning it causes it to turn the spring and work past the torque of turning the strut, on the stuck strut bearing. Just make sure that when you lift your car that these are in the proper spots and that they will seat in right when the car is lowered back down)

For the creaking and squeeking:
The GC set up comes with eibach springs but no spring wrap. So where the spring coils are close to each other, you will have contact on these areas (metal on metal = creaking and squeeking) As a tip from a fellow orger I went to Home Depot (or Lowes) and got this wire rap. It is pastic and comes in a cut coil. Very easy to warp around the spring even when springs are still on the car. Put this at the top and bottom of the springs where the coils get close to each other. Not on the part where the spring sits tho.

This should alleviate your sounds...if it sounds like the problems i was having.

-Steve
Old 11-09-2005, 08:05 PM
PM me for LCA's!

S Cranaw speaks the truth. It's the spring isolators, aka the spring wrap. Most new strusts/springs have enough paint that they don't squeak right away. Give them about 6months to a year and they will wear off enuff powder coat to hit raw metal against each other. It will sound pretty bad.

If you look where the spring meets the strut you will see exactly what I mean. There is probably paint being/been worn off the strut--and it's squeak like hell.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by S Cranaw
I had creaks and squeeks and clunks coming from my suspension too. (GC and AGX set up)

What I found:
I replaced the upper strut bearings. This fixed the clunking sounds. This sound occurs when you are turning, and the worn bearing causes the upper strut seating to not turn. Because the seating isnt turning it causes it to turn the spring and work past the torque of turning the strut, on the stuck strut bearing. Just make sure that when you lift your car that these are in the proper spots and that they will seat in right when the car is lowered back down)

For the creaking and squeeking:
The GC set up comes with eibach springs but no spring wrap. So where the spring coils are close to each other, you will have contact on these areas (metal on metal = creaking and squeeking) As a tip from a fellow orger I went to Home Depot (or Lowes) and got this wire rap. It is pastic and comes in a cut coil. Very easy to warp around the spring even when springs are still on the car. Put this at the top and bottom of the springs where the coils get close to each other. Not on the part where the spring sits tho.

This should alleviate your sounds...if it sounds like the problems i was having.

-Steve
I thought my Max was the only one having these problems. My 97 SE squeaks AND clunks over every little bump. I had a new pair of stock struts installed earlier because one of them had blown, but I didn't replace the mounts.

I also had some popping sounds when turning and a loose feeling steering wheel, turns out I needed a new ball joint on one side, and a new inner tie rod on the other. I went ahead and replaced both lower control arms (including ball joints) and I replaced both inner and both outer tie rods. It feels so much better now...

But that damn squeaking and clunking is getting embarassing, especially where I live where every street in my zip code needs to be resurfaced.... I'm going to get the mounts replaced which will hopefully eliminate the clunking sounds like you said. Will I need to have the wheels aligned after I do this?

And also, about the spring wrap... I want to buy some and put it on, but I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for or asking for at Home Depot, is there a more specific name for it??

I appreciate any help I can get...

Thanks
Old 11-10-2005, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by JwaxMax99
Bad Strut Bearings dont cause a squeaking noise
Old 11-10-2005, 08:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by rsly33
Bad Strut Bearings dont cause a squeaking noise
OK, you have spoken.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:52 AM

I have a similar problem...when I back down my driveway, at the end over the curb, the left side makes a loud noise, like a spring type of noise... err - eee. I had the strut bearning replaced a few months ago and that fixed the banging noise while turning as explained above. Any ideas on this? It kind of sounds like a similar problem that was mentioned originally. Everything is stock and original ('95, 205k miles).
Old 11-10-2005, 11:38 AM

im getting that same high pitch eee eee noise over bumps, put in new isolators (old ones missing) and it didnt do a thing. i just happen to order new coilovers, just gonna replace evrything

and how can u tell if ball joints are good by looking at them?
Old 11-10-2005, 11:57 AM

look at the spring isolators