4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

G35 Exhaust Sound On A Max?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 08:20 PM

G35 Exhaust Sound On A Max?

Hey,

was leavin work today ( best buy ) and a g35 crossed my path....they sound soo damn sexy and it got me thinkin, i wonder if it's possible to make the max sound like that. Now im not into racin like that, i plan to buy like a wrx sti in a coupla year or somein nice for that, so im all about show for this i suppose. What would it take ( besides the obvious, " buy a g35 " ..." do a g35 swap " ) ..and whatnot, to make the max sound as close to that nice deep sound as possible?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:22 PM

lol i work at that terrible place also...(best buy)..... but anywayz... i love the way the g35 sounds if there was an exhaust to make it sound like that im all over it...
Old 10-30-2005, 08:59 PM

Careful..this thread may be open to flaming

Anyways youll never make your car sound EXACTLY like a G35 just because of displacement differences, etc etc...Look on the exhaust thread and see what you like. Otherwise buy an infiniti....
Old 10-30-2005, 09:01 PM

The sound of the G35s also have a lot to do with header design...
Old 10-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Maximoneypit

you need a vq35 w/ true duals.............
Old 10-30-2005, 09:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Something about that sound the G35 or the Murano makes is just so addictive. Closest way you can possibly get the Max to sound like that is by using a Flowmaster 80 series with a 22-24" glass packed resonator. Had that done to my Maxima and when it gets into 2nd gear it starts to get that G35 sounds just a lil bit but theres no way to get that "exact" sound.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:13 PM

^^^Post a clip of that!!!
Old 10-30-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Scooobay
Hey,

was leavin work today ( best buy ) and a g35 crossed my path....they sound soo damn sexy and it got me thinkin, i wonder if it's possible to make the max sound like that. Now im not into racin like that, i plan to buy like a wrx sti in a coupla year or somein nice for that, so im all about show for this i suppose. What would it take ( besides the obvious, " buy a g35 " ..." do a g35 swap " ) ..and whatnot, to make the max sound as close to that nice deep sound as possible?

good lord if u really really want one that sounds like that, then save sum money and buy urself a g35 instead of an STi

plus even though exhausts don't add much power, there under performance, not show
Old 10-31-2005, 05:23 AM

I've asked this man, your just gonna get flamed. I don't understand why people gotta be ****s sometimes but whatever. Hope someone nice actually answer's your question.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:24 AM

Some one in the 3rd gen forum did this. He used the muffler from a g35 coupe on his maxima, but since the muffler is mounted differently than in the maxima he had to cut out his spare wheel well.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:32 AM

ive said it once and ill say it again.... Get CATTMAN HEADERS, keep stock cat, then get a catback that splits at the rear section into two mufflers and call it a day. I also love the G35 sound, the one thing that makes the biggest differnce is the headers design. Thus you want an equal length design like cattmans and heck even a cattman catback aswell and will be sounding as close as possable without swapping a vq35.
The cattman headers, cattman catback setup can be found here: http://www.ceasarschariot.net/chariotexhaust.wmv sounds amazing IMO
-Ryan
Old 10-31-2005, 06:35 AM
Team Ramrod

^^^^Such a sweeeet video... that does sound very good.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:08 AM
Tha Snatcher

the g35 / 350z sound is nice, but i prefer my exhaust the way it sounds right now. I have a Greddy SP rear section and although it doesn't sound as clean as the G35 / 350z exhausts, mine does sound a lot deeper which i like
Old 10-31-2005, 08:58 AM

haha i work at good ol' Best Buy too! damn lots of people huh.Yeah G35 sound is pretty tough to get,but that cattman setup on CaesarsChariot sounds badas$!
Old 10-31-2005, 09:18 AM
Maxima Owner

there are many factors that go into that particular exhaust note.....the obvious is the pipng (headers back)....but displacement...cam lift and duration....timing...i love the sound soo but its not worth the hassle to try and get it to sound like it.....just get a y-pipe....full 2.5" catback and an apexi WS series universal muffler and you will be happy
Old 10-31-2005, 09:32 AM
.org window licker

ok here is what i found and why i did what i did ...
all u have to do is cut the spare tire out put 3" all the way back
the cool thing about the z or 35 exhaust is that it converts to dual exhaust when it hits the muffler all u need is the resignator from the z or 35 and the muffler i have it done to my car i just reciently got it on there and i love it to death...
i was tired of hearing all of the rice exhaust and i dont want anything that is really loud i just wanted the euro sound...
yes i must say that caesar's sounds good but i just couldnt do it i had a car that had exhaust befor and i really dont want to hear it unless i am at 4500 and bangin on the throttle...
everyone can hate on me for it but i love it i will go out some time soon and get record the sound so that u can make ur decision...
btw i picked the full exhause from the z-car for only 100 bucks u just gotta find someone that has aftermarket arround ur area i actually stopped some guy that i saw with a z-car and asked him if he still had the stock...
btw it did cost me arround 250 to get it put in so all together it ran me arround 350 but i like it and belive that i spent the money wisely
Old 10-31-2005, 10:35 AM

Wow 350 for everthing sounds like you made out good. Definatly post some sound clips soon I've always been interested to see if it would sound the same on the max. Somebody should post a link to some 350z/g35 forums to see if anyone is selling thier stock exhaust.

Originally Posted by 96nismomaxi
ok here is what i found and why i did what i did ...
all u have to do is cut the spare tire out put 3" all the way back
the cool thing about the z or 35 exhaust is that it converts to dual exhaust when it hits the muffler all u need is the resignator from the z or 35 and the muffler i have it done to my car i just reciently got it on there and i love it to death...
i was tired of hearing all of the rice exhaust and i dont want anything that is really loud i just wanted the euro sound...
yes i must say that caesar's sounds good but i just couldnt do it i had a car that had exhaust befor and i really dont want to hear it unless i am at 4500 and bangin on the throttle...
everyone can hate on me for it but i love it i will go out some time soon and get record the sound so that u can make ur decision...
btw i picked the full exhause from the z-car for only 100 bucks u just gotta find someone that has aftermarket arround ur area i actually stopped some guy that i saw with a z-car and asked him if he still had the stock...
btw it did cost me arround 250 to get it put in so all together it ran me arround 350 but i like it and belive that i spent the money wisely
Old 10-31-2005, 10:48 AM

actully thats a pretty expensive stupid thing to do imo. If you havent seen or relized no matter what setup you have if its a more open catback than stock they all sound the same, some being louder than others. The catback has to be the volume controll NOT the sound maker itself. The big differnces is Y pipe/headers, cat, and resonator and not so much the muffler. Bigger piping will make a bassier note but still the same nasty grumble none the less. It prolly looks pretty cool and everything though i can give you that but i dont see it on your car domain. And i dont think its very smart to say your sick of rice exhaust because a maxima really cant have anything ricey about the exhaust, putting down the "loud" cars is your opinion only. Thats kind of hard to belive considering you have a fake cold air, tripe gauge pod, and white rims... just a thought but kudos

-Ryan
Old 10-31-2005, 11:53 AM

hack ur airbox and ur car will do the gurgly thing like a g35.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by cefiro8701
hack ur airbox and ur car will do the gurgly thing like a g35.
lol gurgly thing
Old 10-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you're all retarded...
Old 10-31-2005, 10:11 PM
.org window licker

Originally Posted by joosdawg
actully thats a pretty expensive stupid thing to do imo. If you havent seen or relized no matter what setup you have if its a more open catback than stock they all sound the same, some being louder than others. The catback has to be the volume controll NOT the sound maker itself. The big differnces is Y pipe/headers, cat, and resonator and not so much the muffler. Bigger piping will make a bassier note but still the same nasty grumble none the less. It prolly looks pretty cool and everything though i can give you that but i dont see it on your car domain. And i dont think its very smart to say your sick of rice exhaust because a maxima really cant have anything ricey about the exhaust, putting down the "loud" cars is your opinion only. Thats kind of hard to belive considering you have a fake cold air, tripe gauge pod, and white rims... just a thought but kudos

-Ryan
wow all of this because ur $hit sounds like u put on a furby launcher...
well if u ever looked at what u are talking about the 350 and the g35 have a difference of 6 psi in the exhaust therefor makein the same sound kinda...
well let me break it down for u the z and the 35 have 2.5 all the way back by changing the exhause on the max to a 3." it changes the sound now i understand that u may not like it because it dosent have the same rev as the z but hey i dont have cams or anything like that so i cannot produce that fast rev but as for the exhaust with "STOCK" headders and the resignator and the muffler for the z it sounds quite similar i enjoy my sounds and for someone that hates on other maxi's i have nothing to say to u the guage pod has a reason i put it on for the stillen V2 supercharger which is to be put in within the next month and the white rims well i like them and i would love to "spank that azz" on the autocross whenever u want *muah*
peace out Biach!!!!!
shall we have a ear of the furby launcher?????
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...EzZGZkMzF5NTQx
nice one bro try again next week
Old 10-31-2005, 10:17 PM
.org window licker

o and btw what is a real Cold air intake that makes HP.... common tell me... o wait nm u cannot that fukin airbox that u put on ur car dosent do **** besides take up space when u get something that makes ur car go *wooosh * send me a message and u can talk **** again
Old 10-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Wild for Width

o and btw what is a real Cold air intake that makes HP.... common tell me... o wait nm u cannot that fukin airbox that u put on ur car dosent do **** besides take up space when u get something that makes ur car go *wooosh * send me a message and u can talk **** again
English much?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:39 PM

well....interestin..back to thread...i like the idea of taking the z tip, for the most part, you just replaced the tip and you ( to your best ) was able to emulate the sound of it?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:51 PM
.org window licker

Originally Posted by Fr33way
English much?
ya know not to hate on u but i havent seen u post anything but that same thing over and over again
Old 10-31-2005, 10:53 PM
.org window licker

Originally Posted by Scooobay
well....interestin..back to thread...i like the idea of taking the z tip, for the most part, you just replaced the tip and you ( to your best ) was able to emulate the sound of it?
no what i needed to do was change the piping and put the z resignator and the z exhaust in to make the sound
i hope that i will acheve the same rev speed when i put the supercharger in
Old 11-01-2005, 07:32 AM

cmon guys stop ripping on each other, but ya im looking for the same thing. i want a deep mellow sound, that grumbels, i kno its almost impossible to get it to sound like a 3.5, but i will try my best to do it. and 96nismomax plz do put ur clip of ur car
Old 11-01-2005, 07:44 AM

+1 about waiting for the soundclip, id really like to hear this. Im just going to disregard your whole post because you obviously have no experiance in maxima exhaust or maybe not enough to know what differnt clips sound like vs your own and why you did what you did. if you havent noticed ive had almost every y pipe, catback, and cat setup there is in search of the greatest tone, they ALL sound very similar again just differnt volumes, if you have a chambered muffler like the 350 one it will be nice and toned down with that small grumble and deeper ect and you obviously know what it sounds like when you open it up. BTW i thought this thread was how to make it sound like the G35/350? having the catback from one may be a cool visual mod and sound good but it does NOT contribute to sounding like one, you MUST have the Cattman Header system at the least. not trying to start a fight like you are but when false information gets posted i need to say somthing so the first post knows there may be another truth that hasent been explored by yourself.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Custom User Title

Calm down man, leave all that garbage at the door.

no what i needed to do was change the piping and put the z resignator and the z exhaust in to make the sound
i hope that i will acheve the same rev speed when i put the supercharger in
Rev speed? My 3.0 revved better than my 3.5. Does the 3.0 make more power? Nah. Rev speed doesn't mean much.

And with what Joosdawg said, in order to come close to sounding like a G/Z, imo headers will get you there closer than any combination of muffler/catback/cat will. Ofcourse it helps if you have the same engine as the G/Z
Old 11-01-2005, 08:30 AM

i think dude is a complete idiot. Using the CAI into the fender with the stock airbox creates more hp, doesnt take away. But onto the real topic at hand, even with the V2 set up, for some reason im thinking that 3" wasnt necessary. Why wouldnt you just wait for this crap *** exhaust set up? Joosdawg has the same exhaust set up as me, and Ive never heard my ish sound like a furby launcher. go back to middle school, and learn how to use punctuation and proper use of grammar. retard
Old 11-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
Calm down man, leave all that garbage at the door.

Rev speed? My 3.0 revved better than my 3.5. Does the 3.0 make more power? Nah. Rev speed doesn't mean much.

And with what Joosdawg said, in order to come close to sounding like a G/Z, imo headers will get you there closer than any combination of muffler/catback/cat will. Ofcourse it helps if you have the same engine as the G/Z

well technically if they made the same power at the same RPM intervals...then rev speed would matter....more power at a kwiker rate theoretically = faster car
Old 11-01-2005, 08:47 AM

dude a gear is a gear it doesnt work like that, i think the issue is rev not how short the gears are. if you want a faster rev you need a lightweight flywheel nothing else. Obviously the more power you have the faster and harder the engine will turn everything and then be faster reving through the gears sense more power is there to drive it through the gear but again a gear is a gear and its not going to change unless you change it.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NCSU_MAX
you need a vq35 w/ true duals.............
Thank you! That comment should have ended this thread.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:53 AM

man lots of hostility here.... calm down fellas...
Old 11-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
well technically if they made the same power at the same RPM intervals...then rev speed would matter....more power at a kwiker rate theoretically = faster car
His concern was he wanted to make the same "rev speed" as a Z/G after putting on an SC. I like to put it as making the same "power" as a Z/G after adding the SC. If they made the same power at the same RPM intervals (which is highly unlikely), rev speed wouldn't matter because they would have the same "rev speed", unless like joosdawg said with the addition of a lightened flywheel. Additional factors would also contribute to this.

The reason Z/G's seem to wind out gears faster is because they are 6spd. We are 5spd, and in his case a 4spd auto.

Again, "rev speed" is an inefficient way to measure the output of an engine, as my 3.0 revved better than my 3.5 does.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:48 AM

compton *** terry owns everybody. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Custom User Title

Back on topic, IMO Steven88's car (3.5) with a full Cattman exhaust sounds most like a G/Z

http://www.nemuijokyo.org/videos/car...mabackfire.mpg

And yes that includes Cattman Headers.
GodStr3ngth

i dont like exhaust systems that make noise at all anyway

just thought id add one more best buy employee that loves the sound of the g35/350z's

also with a warpspped y-pipe modded cai with hks filter ,and a frankencar catback, i sound very much like a 350, just a lil wimpier

Quick Reply: G35 Exhaust Sound On A Max?