4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Acetone in your gas tank!!!!! EVERYONE READ THIS

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 09:11 PM

Acetone in your gas tank!!!!! EVERYONE READ THIS

here is a link to something i found very interesting. at first i was extremely skeptical but when i did a google search, i found MANY results. everyone check this out. just to let you know, i have filled up my tank three times and put acetone into it, and i really do see an improvement!

http://www.industrialnewsupdate.com/...ices/index.php
Old 09-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No Thank You

I read an article once that said add water to your engine and wait for results...If it was benifitial, you would see manufacterurs doing it from the factory

-matt
Old 09-18-2005, 11:13 PM

Unless there is a huge conspiracy, and they dont make their cars to their fullest potential. Gas companies are in cahoots with automobile manufacturers...
Old 09-18-2005, 11:15 PM

looks interesting ... i wonder about these things
Old 09-19-2005, 05:09 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You can put K1 Kerosene in your fuel tank and the car will run well and it will clean the fuel system.

Do you think it's wise to do? I sure don't....

Your engine is "designed" to run on pump Gasoline, and most importantly, so is the fuel management software in the car's ECU.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Interesting read. I don't thing 2-3 ounces of acetone is going to hurt the fuel system. Granted it doesn't have the fuel system lubricants that gasoline does, the amount of acetone is extremely minimal. The motor won't know the difference. I've used one gallon of toluene in my old Maxima to raise the octane of 4 gallons of gasoline. I noticed no ill side effects. The only thing I noticed was far more consistentecy at the track.

Someone should give the acetone test a try. Run a couple tanks before and after under similiar driving. Personnally, I think a 30% increase in MPGs is a little far reaching. I could believe 10% though.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B
Interesting read. I don't thing 2-3 ounces of acetone is going to hurt the fuel system. Granted it doesn't have the fuel system lubricants that gasoline does, the amount of acetone is extremely minimal. The motor won't know the difference. I've used one gallon of toluene in my old Maxima to raise the octane of 4 gallons of gasoline. I noticed no ill side effects. The only thing I noticed was far more consistentecy at the track.

Someone should give the acetone test a try. Run a couple tanks before and after under similiar driving. Personnally, I think a 30% increase in MPGs is a little far reaching. I could believe 10% though.

i vote you.....take one for the team buddy.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:20 AM

yeah, im good with seafoam in the gastank, crankcase, and brake booster. Ill stick to 93 octane, and leave it at that
Old 09-19-2005, 09:47 AM

The only thing I've ever heard of people putting in their tanks is denatured alcohol. The only purpose was because it burns hotter that gasoline and will help clean out the engine. A guy I know had an 86 truck and he did it so he'd pass smog inspection. He passed with flying colors, like it was brand new car or something. Although I know in california they can catch that stuff. However is it good for the car I don't know. Probably not.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

unh unh...
i know that toulene is commonly used as a way to raise octane. Gnenerally they say to use it with marvel mystery oil, to alleviate the drying out of seals and such, but to put nail polish remover in the tank? i wouldnt trust it, and although its a small amount who knows what the breaking point, or even flash point difference could be in changing this..
Old 09-19-2005, 10:01 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I started a thread in the Fluids and Lubricants forum:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=425545

So who's going to try it out?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:16 AM

makes me wanna **** in my gas tank and see what happens next....
Old 09-19-2005, 11:46 AM

I woudn't want to be the first to try this.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by wikidminds
makes me wanna **** in my gas tank and see what happens next....

I am LMAO off from this statement.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:37 PM

Hey Guys this may not be exactly the same but this old fart at my job told me to put rubbin alchol in my gas tank and i did , let me tell you i got some good power increase out that. but i think i mess up my rear 02 because i got code 0707 not sure is that what it was but anyways wat im tryn to said is when you go to the gas station look at that yellow warning thing you see they put some alchol in the gas but very minimal i put a 1/4 of a little bottle and full tank.
i hope i help a little .... go for it ... Green 97 CT
Old 09-21-2005, 05:55 PM

None of adding this or that or **** etc etc to the gas will affect the catalytic converter? I'd NEVER add anything but Chevron fuel injection cleaner to my gas, but for the rest of the people who are more open minded and acctually are willing to add crap to their gas, think of your cat and how it can clog up or get messed up.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:56 PM

Techron, FP and gas ONLY, acetone WILL **** with any plastic in your fuel system.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:14 PM

..... I hate it when people use definitive words such as WILL, and IS when they have no clue what they're talking about. For people like these people, we have made words such as "maybe" and phrases like "I would think." So "****"-ing use them!

At any rate, acetone sure will desolve cheap plastics. Hey guess what? So does gasoline. Hmmmm.... good thing your fuel system is made out of a combination of rubber hoses, metal lines, and high grade plastics if any.

Basically as long as you follow the directions on that writeup you're pretty safe, acetone won't hurt anything... that's what some carb cleaners and TB cleaners are made out of. The can usually reads something like "with engine running, spray generously into the opening of the throttle body." I'd say it's safe.

And comparing it to using seafoam, seafoams solvent that it uses is Naphtha, and gasoline is technically a form on naphtha so I'm going to assume by previous comments that gasoline is safe to go through your fuel system, so is acetone, so is naphtha.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by filter27e
..... I hate it when people use definitive words such as WILL, and IS when they have no clue what they're talking about. For people like these people, we have made words such as "maybe" and phrases like "I would think." So "****"-ing use them!

At any rate, acetone sure will desolve cheap plastics. Hey guess what? So does gasoline. Hmmmm.... good thing your fuel system is made out of a combination of rubber hoses, metal lines, and high grade plastics if any.

Basically as long as you follow the directions on that writeup you're pretty safe, acetone won't hurt anything... that's what some carb cleaners and TB cleaners are made out of. The can usually reads something like "with engine running, spray generously into the opening of the throttle body." I'd say it's safe.

And comparing it to using seafoam, seafoams solvent that it uses is Naphtha, and gasoline is technically a form on naphtha so I'm going to assume by previous comments that gasoline is safe to go through your fuel system, so is acetone, so is naphtha.
good enough for me!!! they've been told! hahaha
Old 09-23-2005, 08:39 PM

hey... just don't spill any on your car as you go to put it in
Old 09-24-2005, 07:25 AM
我爱台湾

Originally Posted by Germr497SE
Hey Guys this may not be exactly the same but this old fart at my job told me to put rubbin alchol in my gas tank and i did , let me tell you i got some good power increase out that. but i think i mess up my rear 02 because i got code 0707 not sure is that what it was but anyways wat im tryn to said is when you go to the gas station look at that yellow warning thing you see they put some alchol in the gas but very minimal i put a 1/4 of a little bottle and full tank.
i hope i help a little .... go for it ... Green 97 CT
On the rubbing alcohol. Aircraft mechanics have used this stuff for years when testing out the engines for US fighter planes. My neighbor who worked on aircraft for over 30+ years says he puts 1 bottle of it in their family car (a 95 Buick) and 2 bottles in his truck (a 75 Ford). Never once had problems and even helped him past smog. I put a bottle in the Max and all I will say is Damn, the pep it gave the car was unbelieveable. Car has been running fine, with no problems and the tank is about 3/4 was empty. Will put another bottle in when I fill up to mix it in well.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:45 AM

i saw on another site, if you put acetone in your gas tank itll make your car backfire
Old 09-24-2005, 10:20 AM

my cous dad is a scientist and told me this awhile ago. You might get 2-3 more miles to the a gallon max if that

walshy
Old 09-24-2005, 10:25 AM

I watched Mythbusters on Discovery Channel and they added mothballs to a tank of gas from an old caddy. The octane was in fact raised and added some pep to engine....maybe we should start adding mothballs to our gas if ppl are throwing other crap in it.

Acetone, instead of purchasing it at like a hardware store or soemthing, just pick up a few bottles of acetone based nail polish remover. It'll add a flowery scent and raise your octane at the same time!
Old 09-24-2005, 10:34 AM

ive used toluene just to see if it would do anything, so i added 2 gal. to 1/8 of a tank, car ran fine. but as far as acetone goes a mostly hear of that goin into bags...not tanks
Old 09-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Z

There's a whole page dedicated to this. It's full of testimonials and other info. This sounds pretty legit... :\

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive
Old 09-24-2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by filter27e

Interesting, i hate when people suggest that i know nothing yet they have never met me and have no knowledge of my education, not to mention they have a whopping 40 posts, anyway just to clarify

almost all fuel systems are made out of a material called Viton, i believe the maximas to be no different, there is of course a variety of other materials used but viton and rubber are the main ones,
Acetone is found in almost all gas at a ocncentration of aprox.~0.234%, whereas toulene and xylene make up 15% or more.
But what is acetones effect on the fuel system?
Acetone recieved the following ranks for damage to the following materials:
Acetone
Rubber: C-Fair
Viton: D-SEVERE.

Now will adding a few ounces of it to a few gallons of gas hurt your fuel system, defiently not for the first bunch of times but eventually it may have an effect, but is it a risk im willing to take, no.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Haibert88
None of adding this or that or **** etc etc to the gas will affect the catalytic converter? I'd NEVER add anything but Chevron fuel injection cleaner to my gas, but for the rest of the people who are more open minded and acctually are willing to add crap to their gas, think of your cat and how it can clog up or get messed up.
can you answer me how ur cat can get clogged by a fuel burning more efficiently and cleaner? and chevron stuff can cause more of a buildup in your cat than rubbing alcohol or acetone. just think of the carbon deposits loosening up and coming out then getting clogged in your cat
Old 09-24-2005, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by CreativeDesignz
can you answer me how ur cat can get clogged by a fuel burning more efficiently and cleaner? and chevron stuff can cause more of a buildup in your cat than rubbing alcohol or acetone. just think of the carbon deposits loosening up and coming out then getting clogged in your cat

Actually with techron the carbon breaks off the intake valve or injector or wherever and falls into the CC where it is blown into tiny tiny tiny particles that should be able to go right through the car, and with FP the carbon is dissolved slowly.

I dont know what effect acetone will have on a car or even on o2 sensors once it is burned up but i know i wouldnt want it on mine in its full form, and therefore id like to keep it away from them in its combusted form.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:00 PM

No flames, I'm just posting 15 times so I can actually start a new thread.

Don't do it!
Old 09-24-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by turbojeff
No flames, I'm just posting 15 times so I can actually start a new thread.

Don't do it!
Old 09-25-2005, 02:52 AM

howbout I take all items and toss them in one tank of voracious hell-fuel. it will be a mixture of acetone, 92 octane shell gas, toluene, denatured alchohol and mothballs, with a touch of 102 octane jet fuel.

. .. my car is gonna fly beotches!
Old 09-25-2005, 03:00 AM
Team Ramrod

I filled my gas tank with moose ****... BIG IMPROVEMENT.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:46 AM

this will only work if you have the tornado turbo air filter off ebay for $49.99!!!!

please don't do this shiet to your car. if it works, the honda ricer retards would have done it a long time ago.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:27 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

hmmmm http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum.../March/05.html
Old 09-25-2005, 05:30 PM

hey wanna do a couple rips
Old 09-26-2005, 03:53 PM

ya call me back or just swing bye when ur car runs...mxz