4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Questions about Coolant Flush and 60K Service Status

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 08:30 AM

Questions about Coolant Flush and 60K Service Status

So, I did most of my 60K maintenance (Stealer only wanted ~$850 AFTER a 10% discount).

Questions about the coolant replacement.
  1. Is it absolutely necessary to get the coolant out of the front and rear banks? Just flushing the radiator won't work?
  2. Will a gallon of unmixed coolant be sufficient?
  3. Is there a way to flush out the coolant in the banks without opening up those two drain plugs?

Please see the status of my 60K service.

Here is the status per the instructions located at:
60K Service - http://web.archive.org/web/20011109...0k_service.html
  1. Spark Plugs: 6 NGK Platinum spark plugs are required for the tuneup. Platinum plugs do not need to be gapped. If you use copper plugs the gap is .044. Put anti-seize on the spark plug threads and torque to 18 ft/lbs. The spark plug socket is 16mm or 5/8. The spark chambers are very deep as you will find out. A magnet will help to remove and install the plugs. Also a couple of socket extensions are necessary. Remove the spark plug cover(Nissan V6 3000) to reveal the front three plugs. The rear three plugs are behind the exhaust mainfold. The last picture shows an approximate location.
    Completed
  2. Oil Change: Make sure the car is on a flat surface. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. The filter and plug are behind a panel in the passenger fender well. There are about 4 phillips head screws holding the panel in place. There is one more phillips head screw under the front nose of the car that needs to be removed. Once the panel is removed you can see the plug and filter. Remove the drain plug (turn left) and make sure that you keep the crush ring that is on the drain plug. Nissan recommends that you replace the crush ring ever oil change. The ring should be good for about 3-4 oil changes. Remove the old oil filter and then reinstall the oil plug. Put fresh oil into the new filter and install. When the filter gives slight resistance turn it another 2/3 of a turn. Tightening the filter by hand is all that is needed. Add 4 quarts of fresh oil and then start the car. The car takes 4.5 quarts but make sure that you do not over fill. The Nissan filter # 15208-31U00.
    Completed
  3. Fuel Filter: The filter is located against the fire wall near the brake fluid. There is no real easy way to remove the filter. It has a hose clamp at the top and bottom of the filter. The hose clamps are tightened with phillips head screws. The problem is Nissan did not leave alot of room to get a screwdriver in there inorder to remove the filter. If you want to attempt to change the filter here are a few tips. Leave the car running. You will need to remove the fuel pump fuse. The fuse panel is under the steering wheel on the left. Locate the fuel pump fuse and remove it. In about 5-10 seconds the car will stall. Try to start the car at least one more time. This releases the pressure in the fuel line. Turn the car off completely. Now try and remove the top and bottom hose on the filter. When reinstalling the filter make sure that you don't install upside down. When new filter is installed put the fuse back in and start the car.
    Completed
  4. Transmission Fluid: The drain is under the transmission near the driver's side of the car. The fill is in the front of the engine and looks like a large square opening. In order to open that fill plug you need a 1/2" ratchet with out the socket. The transmission takes 4.5 quarts of MT-90. I have provided a picture from the shop manual to show the location of the drain bolt and fill plug. Easy way to fill the transmission is to get some plastic tubing and tape a funnel to one end.
    Not Completed because the Stealer had done a complete flush at 42K
  5. Radiator Coolant: The radiator takes 9.5 quarts of fluid. The mixture is 50% coolant and 50% distilled water. There are 3 drains that you need to find. One is the radiator drain which is directly under the radiator. The second is in front of the engine dead center near the exhaust manifold. Third is in back of the engine. Here is a picture of the third drain bolt. If you take off the passenger front tire, look on the left side of the front shocks and turn your head a little to the right. That is were the picture is looking. The bolt is in the top right of the picture left of the black wire. I had the dealer to it for under $50.
    Not Completed Have questions in this post regarding this.
  6. PCV Valve: The location of the valve is not longer a mystery. Located near the throttle body.
    Not Completed Should I do this?
  7. Belt Replacement: The '95 has two accessory belts. One is the alternator and the other is compressor/power steering. This jobs took me over a hour to complete. You will need long combination wrenches and sockets. The sizes are 12 and 14 millimeter. Please note how tight the belts are because you have to adjust the belt accordingly. It's call "deflection" so please push on the belts and remember. After the install you need to get the belts close to the same deflection.
    Completed
  8. Tighten throttle cable: Make sure the cable is low and inbetween the half moon shape. The cable at the relaxed state should not be above the half moon...there needs to be more tension. The outside cable is your cruise control and the inside is your throttle. To fix this follow the cable about 6 inches back to two nuts. Loose the front nut and spin that forward, the cable will come loose but now you spin the back nut in the same direction and that will take up the slack along with securing the cable to the mounting bracket.
    Not Completed Should I do this?
  9. ECU reset: This is not needed for the 60K service. If the "check engine light" comes on. This is the proper way to reset it. Andi is the one who scanned the page.
    NOT Completed as it says not needed for the 60K service.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:21 AM
Do I get a tax break?

One gallon of concentrate is enough if you only do radiator drain/flush/fill. That's all I do, I just do it every summer - so the coolant is always relatively fresh and I don't have to mess around with trying to drain the block.

Just mix the coolant with distilled water (important) with a 50/50 ratio.

Just do a drain/fill on the auto tranny fluid. It's easy and cheap. Most places charge about 50 bucks (if you don't want to do it yourself).

Replace the PCV valve - I prefer replacing things like this before they fail - so that I don't have to diagnose an intermittent problem later. It's cheap and takes 5 minutes - no reason NOT to do it.

No need to tighten the throttle cable unless you feel that you don't have good throttle response - i.e you press the pedal but the car doesn't respond. Visually inspect the throttle cable linkage near the throttle body - if you feel there is a lot of slack there, just adjust it as needed. Don't over-tighten the cable.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:21 AM

Thanks njmodi.

Where can I find the writeup for the ATF drain/refill.
Where can I find the writeup for the PCV Valve Replacement?

They are not in the stickies unless I missed 'em.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Do I get a tax break?

ATF - check the fluids/lubricants

PCV - www.motorvate.ca (if I remember correctly).

You should get yourself a Haynes - these types of things are covered in there.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by njmodi
ATF - check the fluids/lubricants

PCV - www.motorvate.ca (if I remember correctly).

You should get yourself a Haynes - these types of things are covered in there.
Thanks again njmodi.

The ATF stuff is not there or I could not find it.
The PCV stuff is definitely not there on motorvate

Regarding the manual, I do have the FSM on my computer at home. I cannot refer to it from here at work. I seem to think, writeups by folks are more better than these manuals for folks like me who follow the pix which are not that great in these manuals. Hence I was looking for a writeup.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2005, 10:41 AM
Do I get a tax break?

ATF: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=149056
For a drain and fill, it's just like an oil change. Undo the tranny pan bolt, let the fluid drain out. Replace drain bolt, and add EXACTLY the same amount of fluid back via the dipstick hole (you'll need a funnel).

PCV: If you know where the PCV is, all you have to do is pull the old one out and put the new one in... you have to loosen the bracket/hard metal hose that is connected to the short rubber hose that holds the PCV so that you have pop the old one out. Can't really do much more of a writeup than that. There were a few threads recently about the location of the PCV valve - so look through the first few pages if you need that info.