4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Turning OD off to downshift?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 06:41 AM

Turning OD off to downshift?

Around 75MPh(110-120KMPH) I turn the OD off to downshift o 3rd gear, I prefer that over flooring the gas pedal.
what do you think?I was wondering if that might damage the transsmision?
Please give me your insights.

Thank You
Old 09-02-2005, 06:45 AM
UCF Lexus

I wouldnt recommend it going that fast.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:57 AM

I do it all the time. I step on the accelerator as I press the button too to give it a nice "downshift".
Old 09-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BourneJ
I do it all the time. I step on the accelerator as I press the button too to give it a nice "downshift".
you can get rid of the quotes, the transmission actually will downshift =D

It's great for passing in a limited space or getting nowhere faster. It's not going to damage the transmission any more than normal driving. What you're doing is well within the normal functions of the car.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:17 AM

I don't use it to downshift for accelleration, I use it to slow down, it works great downhill. It maintains my speed perfectly so I'm not going 80 by the time I get to the bottom, or riding the brakes all the way.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:57 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

It's definately a good way to save from having to mash the gas pedal.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Hella internets

i do it whenever a cop sneaks up on me, good way to slow down.

I never use it for anything other than slowing down in a rush without attracting that much attention to myself. I remember once i turned it off goin over 100, SLAMED that bish into 3rd, didnt sound good at all, but the cop went RIGHT by me haha.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:34 PM

i do it sometimes like when i know im about to accelerate id just let it go into 3rd and then cruise and then start to accelerate...jus sometimes when i dont push the gas down enough it doesnt down shift and im stuck accelerating in 4th gear which is slow, my tranny has problems :-)
Old 09-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's fine..............
Old 09-02-2005, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by XeroX
i do it whenever a cop sneaks up on me, good way to slow down.

I do that too!
Old 09-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by ryant35
I do that too!
Funny cause one time when i did this i was kinda pumping the brake slightly, and the sudden down shift from 4th to 3rd (from like 110 ish) caused my tires to lock up for a split second, High way patrol STILL didnt c my a$$ and there was a nice lil cloud of smoke from my tires on the freeway haha.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:07 PM
SimStones

I do this constantly, cause i'm too lazy to move my foot to the brake pedal when the moron in front of me starts braking at the top of the hill
Old 09-02-2005, 04:45 PM
BK1
Hello

I don't mess with that button when I'm moving. I don't know if its good for the tranny.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:26 PM
rdilemma

im just putting something here because I "need" 15 replies in order to post, and I think its a stupid friggin rule, so if someone gives me negative "reputation" points for this post you can lick my butt!

I want to post a serious question about the fuse panel and also about "performance" cats from ebay and if theyre any good.

yea and its stupid that you guys disabled search, cause im sure someones posted about those cats.

($&$($*&$#&@*@)( . ..

Old 09-02-2005, 08:20 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

You're a dumb f*** cuz you can donate and search all you want. You can also use google free search if you were smart enough to know how to do it, I hope you get permabanned!
Old 09-02-2005, 09:01 PM

Funny cause one time when i did this i was kinda pumping the brake slightly, and the sudden down shift from 4th to 3rd (from like 110 ish) caused my tires to lock up for a split second, High way patrol STILL didnt c my a$$ and there was a nice lil cloud of smoke from my tires on the freeway haha.
My camaro used to do this when I was going too fast to down shift, I'm sure its bad for the tranni, but it was f'n cool. In fact I went through 4 tranni's in 4 years in that car.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Donating i30 Owner

.. 4 trammies damm...

i do the od downshift thing wen im going into winding turns... the torque steer lets me feel in controll.. on teh turns and also passing people.. instead of the auto TCU to finnaly decide to shift...
Old 09-02-2005, 10:40 PM
AGRECORDS

my tranny already slips (auto) but i do it on the highway sometimes.... i think it makes it worst cause now it slips worse.. since i started doing it so i wouldnt!!!!!!!!
i think my tranny needs a torqe converter though no biggy!!

Old 09-03-2005, 12:05 AM
rdilemma

Originally Posted by nismos14
You're a dumb f*** cuz you can donate and search all you want. You can also use google free search if you were smart enough to know how to do it, I hope you get permabanned!
Sorry I havent donated yet but Im new so kiss my ***, Your a little sensitive did someone make your ***** ache this morning? My rant was not aimed at you specifically so

Old 09-03-2005, 12:53 AM

Wow half of you are farkin retards. You thikn that pushing that magical little button will hurt you tranny. GET REAL. all it does is shift from 4th to 3rd. which your transmission does anyways every time you slow down from about 40mph or more to anything less than that.

Push it if you want to slow down for any reason, be it traffic ahead, the cop behind you, or a hill. Or push it if youre about to pass someone. That way it will downshift without you havng to go to wot. The only time i wouldnt push it is if i was doing over ~120mph, or the top speed in third gear.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:56 AM

Old 09-03-2005, 06:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

my first time doing this was last night. me likes alot. its a lot better than just flooring the pedal. it gives a nice little kick.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:17 PM
BK1
Hello

Originally Posted by NY 95 VQ30DE
Wow half of you are farkin retards. You thikn that pushing that magical little button will hurt you tranny. GET REAL. all it does is shift from 4th to 3rd. which your transmission does anyways every time you slow down from about 40mph or more to anything less than that.

Push it if you want to slow down for any reason, be it traffic ahead, the cop behind you, or a hill. Or push it if youre about to pass someone. That way it will downshift without you havng to go to wot. The only time i wouldnt push it is if i was doing over ~120mph, or the top speed in third gear.
What kind of empircal evidence do you have to say that it does no harm to the tranny? I said I wasn't sure, just because I don't do the same things as you doesn't make me a retard. When i wanna slow down, I hit the brakes, I'd rather spend 40 bux on brake pads than 1500+ bucks on a new/rebuilt tranny. Want to downshift? Get a manual tranny.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:29 PM

i owned my Max for well over 5yrs and used to do that ALL the time and i do mean all the time, even with over 120k on it. And never once did i have a slip or any kind of problem with my tranny.

Ant
Old 09-03-2005, 06:34 PM

Q: What was a tranny designed and built to do?

A: Shift gears

Q: What does the little button do

A: Make the tranny shift gears

OK genius, do you think the engineers at Nissan, with their infinite wisdom, after designing such a mechanical masterpiece as the maxima, would put a button on the car that would effectively harm it?

I think not.

Some people, including myself, use it to slow down slightly, for reasons which i have already stated. Others, again including myself, use it to downshift the tranny from 4th to 3rd so that we do not have to floor the car to get it to downshift when we are about to pass a slower car, in doing so putting unneccesary wear and tear on the motor.

I never specifically called you a retard, just the people who think using this button will hurt their car. If youd rather hit the brakes, i dont care, unless youre one of those people who is constantly hitting the brakes while theyre driving along behind someone else. Because those people **** me off.

And a good day to you, sir!
Old 09-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally Posted by rdilemma
im just putting something here because I "need" 15 replies in order to post, and I think its a stupid friggin rule, so if someone gives me negative "reputation" points for this post you can lick my butt!

I want to post a serious question about the fuse panel and also about "performance" cats from ebay and if theyre any good.

yea and its stupid that you guys disabled search, cause im sure someones posted about those cats.

($&$($*&$#&@*@)( . ..
Originally Posted by rdilemma
Sorry I havent donated yet but Im new so kiss my ***, Your a little sensitive did someone make your ***** ache this morning? My rant was not aimed at you specifically so

Negative reputation points? How bout I just ban your stupid *** instead and now you can start over, or learn how to use the Google search.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally Posted by NY 95 VQ30DE
Q: What was a tranny designed and built to do?

A: Shift gears

Q: What does the little button do

A: Make the tranny shift gears

OK genius, do you think the engineers at Nissan, with their infinite wisdom, after designing such a mechanical masterpiece as the maxima, would put a button on the car that would effectively harm it?

I think not.

Some people, including myself, use it to slow down slightly, for reasons which i have already stated. Others, again including myself, use it to downshift the tranny from 4th to 3rd so that we do not have to floor the car to get it to downshift when we are about to pass a slower car, in doing so putting unneccesary wear and tear on the motor.

I never specifically called you a retard, just the people who think using this button will hurt their car. If youd rather hit the brakes, i dont care, unless youre one of those people who is constantly hitting the brakes while theyre driving along behind someone else. Because those people **** me off.

And a good day to you, sir!

10chars
Old 09-04-2005, 02:36 PM

I do it every 5 seconds. Whether it is slowing down or I am too lazy to floor the pedal. If it does hurt the transmission then I should do it more often ... just another reason for me to do the 5SPD swap and stop using a damn button to shift. I can then use a clutch .
Old 09-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

is it possible?

Im having tranny problems it seems. What seems strange is that it started so suddenly. And it started the trip back home after i smoked a raccoon on the highway. Now my transmission (AT) slips into second gear, is it possible that i damaged something outside the housing? the torque converter? When i hit the raccoon it sounded like a rock and it hit right where the transmission is. I know it sound amateurish, and it is, but could the raccoon do that damage?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:23 AM

For those using this "trick" to avoid speeding tickets, popo can see the nose dive just as easily as popo can see brake lights, and popo can see nose dive from the front, sides, or rear. If you weren't flagged for citation, it was probably because the radar wasn't on. Calling attention to yourself will actually prompt the law enforcement officer to flip the switch, which can be done much faster than you can break from 100-65. I assure you, if you are deceleratin hard enough to chirp, or smoke tires, you are also dropping the nose (unless you have a ridgid mounted front end).
Old 09-05-2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ziya20
Around 75MPh(110-120KMPH) I turn the OD off to downshift o 3rd gear, I prefer that over flooring the gas pedal.
I usually "manually" shift it around that range too, only i shift it back to 2nd gear (in the 70-73mph range)

MEVI and extended rev limiter
Old 09-05-2005, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wetballoon
For those using this "trick" to avoid speeding tickets, popo can see the nose dive just as easily as popo can see brake lights, and popo can see nose dive from the front, sides, or rear. If you weren't flagged for citation, it was probably because the radar wasn't on. Calling attention to yourself will actually prompt the law enforcement officer to flip the switch, which can be done much faster than you can break from 100-65. I assure you, if you are deceleratin hard enough to chirp, or smoke tires, you are also dropping the nose (unless you have a ridgid mounted front end).
And under most circumstances shifting from 4th to third will not make the nose dive....or tires chirp. For me its just a gentle decceleration. So if theres a cop, and my radar detector isnt going off, then i will usually hit it instinctually o slow down a bit. During the day ill hit the brakes too, If hes in front of me. Not that im usually doing 100, or more than 70 for that matter, so the nose dive really isnt an issue.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:02 PM

well it is pretty fun having it downshift..

i guess most people do it .. so it's safe.. !
Old 09-05-2005, 06:34 PM
TurboMax67

The least damaging way would be this:

Turn the O/D button off and as soon as it down shifts you can give it gas.
The most important thing is to not give it any gas when downshifting.