4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ink stain...what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ink stain...what do I do?

I have just experienced the worst luck for my car. As I was parking in my driveway, I picked up my work aprin from the passager seat. I noticed a huge smear of blue ink on my leather seat. I jump out of my car and start cleaning it with everything (from meguiar's to cheer detergent). Nothing has worked so far as to remove the stain completely. I don't want my car to have a huge mark on it. What could be used to remove ink stains from leather?

By the way the ink has been on the seat for less than an hour from when the thread was made.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:45 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Resolve will get it out. It's a carpet cleaner but it got axle grease out of my seat.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:04 PM

Won't something like that ruin my seats?

I'll try anything, were do you get something like that?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:05 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Nope, it won't. I got mine at Wallyworld (Walmart)
Old 08-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Go to a hardware store and get dry cleaning fluid.
It removes just about any stain from just about anything.
You can also try brake clean, it's made up of the same fluid.
Spray some on a rag and rub it onto your seats. It should take the ink right off.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:46 PM

Isopropyl Alcohol (from any drug store) will definitely get the ink out. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:01 PM
sunten1

What about getting fruit punch out of the carpet under the passenger seat. The owner before must have spilled something in the car

Old 08-23-2005, 06:25 PM

PLEASE - for your own safety, don't try anything harsher than the Resolve carpet cleaner BEFORE first testing the other suggestions on some hidden, barely visible area of your leather.

Always try the "least dangerous" cure first - like plain water, then Resolve, or Murphy's Oil Soap or hair shampoo or whatever.

Else, you could make the "fix" worse than the "break" and have a nasty and visible spot on your leather fromone of the harsher chemicals.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:32 PM
THT
Throbbing member

Or you can listen to someone who has already used Resolve in his interior and proved it doesn't discolor the material....
Old 08-23-2005, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by THT
Or you can listen to someone who has already used Resolve in his interior and proved it doesn't discolor the material....

haha, he got told
Old 08-23-2005, 09:38 PM

I think I'll try the resolve cleaner tomorrow. I'll tell you how it comes out...
Old 08-24-2005, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by nfafan
PLEASE - for your own safety, don't try anything harsher than the Resolve carpet cleaner BEFORE first testing the other suggestions on some hidden, barely visible area of your leather.

Always try the "least dangerous" cure first - like plain water, then Resolve, or Murphy's Oil Soap or hair shampoo or whatever.

Else, you could make the "fix" worse than the "break" and have a nasty and visible spot on your leather fromone of the harsher chemicals.
Isopropyl Alcohol is the accepted method of cleaning ink from leather, be it a car or a 15,000 dollar sectional. Plain water is not going to help. The other suggestions like shampoo, wtf? That's like grasping at straws, where do these suggestions come from? The last time I suggested Isopropyl Alcohol when the dude's g/f got ink all over, the dude thanked me like there was no tomorrow. But hey, to each his own.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:28 PM

Apparently nobody watches the Oxi-Clean commercial.
That stuff sucks.