4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesnt

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 10:23 PM

Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesnt

I am having a problem with my max starting and maybe someone could help me that has had the same problem. For the past two months now my car has been acting up... when i get into my car and go to start it, sometimes it cranks right up, other times i have to turn the key a few times before it will start... i figured it was the starter that was bad so i went ahead and replaced the starter and it is still doing it... like i said sometimes i can get right in and it will start with no problem other times i will sit there and no lie i will turn that key about 50 times before it starts... any ideas on what could be causing it? Any help greatly appreciated...
Old 08-14-2005, 11:00 PM

I had a similar problem with my car, not sure if yours is the same or not.

I bought my car damaged, and have been fixing it up for the past few months. When it was in the accident, somehow the cable that runs between the shifter and the linkage on the front of the tranny got knocked around. Basically when the lever was in park, the cable was telling the tranny that it was halfway between reverse and park. So the car wouldnt start in park, but it would in neutral. So every time i would get in the car, turn the key to on, move the lever to neutral, then it started. But like yours, not every time, sometimes id hafta turn the key a few times to start it.

I posted a week ago asking anyone if they knew how to adjust the cable, nobody did. I went to the library and looked at a haynes, it showed a picture of a nut that was underneath the center console just forward of the shifter...but since it wasnt a maxima specific manual it was only for the altima thaty was in the same section. I couldnt find a nut on my 95. So I decided to do it the ghetto way. right above the shift linkage on the front of the tranny (you can see it if you pull off the center pan on the bottom, or look between the ram air intake and the battery) theres a bracket that holds the end of the cable in place. since mine had to move a good 3/8", i took off the bracket, cut part of it, and bent it to fit. Now it starts every time in park. you prolly wouldnt have top cut yours, but you never know. If thats even whats wrong with it. Ive got pics of what i did if you want them. lemme know.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by soshiv
I am having a problem with my max starting and maybe someone could help me that has had the same problem. For the past two months now my car has been acting up... when i get into my car and go to start it, sometimes it cranks right up, other times i have to turn the key a few times before it will start... i figured it was the starter that was bad so i went ahead and replaced the starter and it is still doing it... like i said sometimes i can get right in and it will start with no problem other times i will sit there and no lie i will turn that key about 50 times before it starts... any ideas on what could be causing it? Any help greatly appreciated...
Check if it starts in Neutral like the guy says below..

Could be your Engine Coolant Temp Sensor.. does your rpms die sometimes when starting?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:14 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=200696
Old 08-14-2005, 11:24 PM

I was just about to do that^^^^

bastard, you beat me to it