4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

GC coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 08:12 PM

GC coilovers worth putting on?

what do you guys think about Ground control coilovers, are they worth putting on?
Old 06-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hell NO...
Spare your self the time, trouble and money..
The ride sucks even with after market struts and
its extremely bouncy.. I know this from expeirance.
I had them on my old max with tokiko Hps and it was the
worse suspension setup I ever had.. I currently on Tein Stechs
and I must say that the GC coil overs dont go much lower than
the S Techs..
Heres some pics on stock se wheels so you can compare...

Heres a pic of my White Max on TEin S Techs 2.2inchs in the Front x 1.8inchs in the rear

Heres one of my old max droped to the max in the front( 3.5 inchs supposably) and about half way in the rear..
Old 06-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Offset Is Everything.

its okay if you dont mind a stiff ride. the mistake that enomik-1 made was to pair it up with Tokico HPs. those particular shocks are meant for a stock replacement. the damping is not enough for such a low and stiff spring. i believe the GCs have a 300lbs spring rate. the s-techs have something like a 200lbs rate. for coilovers, obviously youre looking at a much stiffer ride. these kind of suspension set ups are really meant for racing and not really for street. i think some autoX-ers use the GC set up with Koni Yellows. highly recommended from GC. the only set back is that most of them have Koni shorten the struts because of the limited suspension travel you get the lower you go. with the shortened struts, the more travel you get. yes ive heard horror stories of the groundcontrols going really bad. squeaky, noisy, terrible ride, loose perch. most of the time its like civics on stock shocks but i believe GC changed the build of the sleeve from when it first came out so now its stronger. the clunky noise is normal because its a really really short spring. its the top hat hitting the upper strut mount. thats usually solved by applying lithium grease to the contact areas.

if youre looking into a true coilover set up for under a grand, id recommend the Tein BASIC. its backed by a proven company thats known pretty much everywhere. the D2 and KSport i have not heard much about since i think theyre both are somewhat of a new company. but so far people rave about it. have to wait and see in the long run. good luck with your choice.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:37 PM

Mr****s is right, and i rode in his car before and it is not as stiff as people say it is. (They make it sound worse than it really is) If you dont mind stiffeness, then get it, but if you are more towards comfortability, then dont get it.
I would recomend Tein Coilovers. Mr****s has ridden in my car a billion times and im sure he'll tell you they perform very good and are very comfortable also.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mr****s95SE
its okay if you dont mind a stiff ride. the mistake that enomik-1 made was to pair it up with Tokico HPs. those particular shocks are meant for a stock replacement. the damping is not enough for such a low and stiff spring. i believe the GCs have a 300lbs spring rate. the s-techs have something like a 200lbs rate. for coilovers, obviously youre looking at a much stiffer ride. these kind of suspension set ups are really meant for racing and not really for street. i think some autoX-ers use the GC set up with Koni Yellows. highly recommended from GC. the only set back is that most of them have Koni shorten the struts because of the limited suspension travel you get the lower you go. with the shortened struts, the more travel you get. yes ive heard horror stories of the groundcontrols going really bad. squeaky, noisy, terrible ride, loose perch. most of the time its like civics on stock shocks but i believe GC changed the build of the sleeve from when it first came out so now its stronger. the clunky noise is normal because its a really really short spring. its the top hat hitting the upper strut mount. thats usually solved by applying lithium grease to the contact areas.

if youre looking into a true coilover set up for under a grand, id recommend the Tein BASIC. its backed by a proven company thats known pretty much everywhere. the D2 and KSport i have not heard much about since i think theyre both are somewhat of a new company. but so far people rave about it. have to wait and see in the long run. good luck with your choice.
/\/\
this jus convinced my to try GC for the hell of it with
Old 06-16-2005, 05:45 AM

well im getting a used pair with about 5k on them for like $160 so I think im gonna do it, I have sprints now on stock struts and its fine to me...I got them when i was 17 and im 18 now and the ride doesnt bother me. What strut combo am i gonna wanna go with for most comfort?
Old 06-16-2005, 01:21 PM
this place is dead

[QUOTE=Mr****s95SE] these kind of suspension set ups are really meant for racing and not really for street. i think some autoX-ers use the GC set up with Koni Yellows. highly recommended from GC. the only set back is that most of them have Koni shorten the struts because of the limited suspension travel you get the lower you go. with the shortened struts, the more travel you get.
QUOTE]

Regarding the Koni's, do you know how short? I was thinking of getting GC's with Koni adjustables. I do a bit of auto-xing and track days, so unless the Teins you mention can handle that, GC's look like the way to go for me.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:37 AM
this place is dead

[QUOTE=97SEdriver]
Originally Posted by Mr****s95SE
these kind of suspension set ups are really meant for racing and not really for street. i think some autoX-ers use the GC set up with Koni Yellows. highly recommended from GC. the only set back is that most of them have Koni shorten the struts because of the limited suspension travel you get the lower you go. with the shortened struts, the more travel you get.
QUOTE]

Regarding the Koni's, do you know how short? I was thinking of getting GC's with Koni adjustables. I do a bit of auto-xing and track days, so unless the Teins you mention can handle that, GC's look like the way to go for me.
bump...any Koni information for shortening would help...thanks
Old 06-21-2005, 06:07 PM

bump.. what is the maximum amount of drop you can get with gcs with an aftermarket shock? Will full coilovers allow you to go lower?
Old 06-22-2005, 10:52 AM

bump does anyone know
Old 06-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Offset Is Everything.

if you guys want to shorten the struts youre going to have to check out how much shorter you really want to go. i think Koni's website has some info on it, if not check out some auto-x links. i know for sure the TEIN coilovers will be able to handle tracking.

as far as comfort goes with aftermarket struts and sleeve/spring coilovers, its infinite. there are so many combinations each strut has, but if you want comfort i recommend going with springs instead. my Illuminas ride just fine but if i had the money, i would definitely go with the Koni Yellows due to the durable construction of the strut or get true coilovers. ultimately you get what you pay for.

but i stayed with the GC/Illumina combo since i got hooked up.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:18 PM
brotherhood of tq

i have gc's and i nor any one in my car has ever complained about the ride. it seems like either people drop gc's to tuck their wheels and have bad things to say about it or they seem to just say things without having any proof to back it up.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:38 AM

I have GC's paired with Illuminas and the ride is ok. It's stiff, but I've been in much stiffer riding cars, such as our corvette. It is bouncy when you hit certain kinds of bumps, sometimes alittle un-sure of the car on the thruway when it gets bouncy, but that doesnt happen a whole lot. Just take care of the camber, and make sure you have enough rear travel (get the long travel mounts) and its ok. Just get good shocks, either illuminas, agx's or konis. I am going to raise mine up a little cause its destroying my tires, until I can get camber bolts or plates.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:22 PM

I like the drop that my GC's give me and they are "ok" when it comes to handling but honestly i really really wish I had just got some regular springs especially since they are cheaper. The only real benefit of being able to adjust the ride height disappears after a while, i mean how often you gonna change that.

To those who are thinking of getting them don't be scared by how short the spring is, I remeber opening the box then looking at the gc compared to the stock spring and i was like holy **** did they send me the wrong ones.

I hope to get rid of mine soon for some teins
No more comp[laints from the parents about bumps yay
Old 06-23-2005, 09:21 PM

getting a d2 system soon....hehehe....WHOO HOO!!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Paradox Systems Vendor

i have GC also, but for sale, with agx struts..... PM me
Old 07-25-2005, 02:15 PM

get a hold of tj max, he has some for sale..