4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changing settings on AGX's and Illuminas

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 04:43 PM

Changing settings on AGX's and Illuminas

I'm trying to decide between the KYB AGX's and the Tokico Illuminas for my 97 Max SE 5spd. Right now I'm in the process of finding the best price. Went in to the local NOPI dealer today and asked him for a price and got it. However, he mentioned that some guys like the AGX's better because they are able to adjust the settings easier than on the Tokicos. AGX's have a dial that is fairly easy to access and set. He said that the Tokicos are adjusted w/ a screwdriver from the top of the shock. Can anyone help me out here? How do you adjust both shocks and which is easiest? I have been leaning toward the Tokicos just because they have come out more recently but I am flexible. BTW, looking at HR coils. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:58 PM
MaximaDriver

i just got illuminas from ebay 440 shipped. life time waranty
Old 07-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Boosted Panda

The AGX's require a flate head screw driver to adjust the fronts, underneath the hood.
The rears have a twist dial, I have to get on the ground to access mine.
Im not sure about the Illumina's.
The AGX's are a bit stiffer then the Illuminas and they get real stiff in the cold. They dont take long to warm uo but just an FYI.
Most peaople are leaning more towards the Illumina's nowdays. They cost a bit more but seem to have a better ride.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:20 PM
3.5 in the works

I think this has been covered many times but Illuminas are super easy to adjust. A small flathead screwdriver will do all four... the rear you get to from inside the trunk, just need to pop off one corner of the carpeting.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:18 PM
I Broke OT

yeah, Illuminas are really easy. just a screwdriver on all four, as people have said. on the AGX, isn't there a dial on the actual strut body? therefore, wouldn't the tire have to be removed in order to get your hand in there to adjust it?

(sorry, just a little question on the side, but I couldn't get an answer anywhere: I put KYB dustboot/bumpstops on my Illuminas last night. for the front, is the boot supposed to be pushed down onto the actual polished piston part? I just pushed it onto there until the top of the boot was flush with the bottom of the threads. but people kept saying that they fit like stock and I couldn't imagine how.) so to jack the thread, but I tried to contribute above
Old 07-15-2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
yeah, Illuminas are really easy. just a screwdriver on all four, as people have said. on the AGX, isn't there a dial on the actual strut body? therefore, wouldn't the tire have to be removed in order to get your hand in there to adjust it?

(sorry, just a little question on the side, but I couldn't get an answer anywhere: I put KYB dustboot/bumpstops on my Illuminas last night. for the front, is the boot supposed to be pushed down onto the actual polished piston part? I just pushed it onto there until the top of the boot was flush with the bottom of the threads. but people kept saying that they fit like stock and I couldn't imagine how.) so to jack the thread, but I tried to contribute above
Not to worry. I'm interested in any replies to your dust boot question. Mine are shot and will have to replace when I get the new shocks and coils. Was thinking of getting OEM dust boots. Still doing some R&D (Research and Delay) on that . Cheers
Old 07-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
on the AGX, isn't there a dial on the actual strut body? therefore, wouldn't the tire have to be removed in order to get your hand in there to adjust it?
You dont have to remove the tire, like i said before I have to get on the ground to reach it. Its not hard, just reach around the tire.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just reach through the openings in my rim .
Old 07-17-2005, 09:11 AM

The Illumina's by concensus seem to have the better range in ride quality and that's what the strut is all about, both are easy to adjust but you don't do that everyday! You certainly ride on them everyday, basically don't get hung up on the adjustablity, spend the extra bucks and get the best..... ILLUMINA'S, you can have stock plush ride even lowered or autocross stiff!
Old 07-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

agx's suck, i sold mine because of the northeast cold. if it donest get below 40 down there, then agx's are an option.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am looking for strut recommendations for my wife's 99 Max SE. She wants struts that are close to OEM ride, but are good quality. From reading several forum threads, I gather that the Illumina's are more adjustable than the AGX and closer to OEM ride?

Thanks,
Steve