4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Before I replace the clutch master cylinder...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Before I replace the clutch master cylinder...

Here is the story.

Over the last few weeks the clutch felt like it did not want to disengage from the flywheel. Clutch engagement point was very close to the floor. Car was hard to get into gear sometimes.

Adjusted the clutch to grap higher, thus the clutch will seperate more from the flywheel. A little adjustment did nothing, a little more did not do much either. Finally did two full turns and the clutch engagement point came up quite a bit and every thing seemed fine. Went into gear smooth as butter

.....But after only few miles of driving the clutch started to grab higher and higher to the point that my clutch would barely hold. Adjusted it down a bit and all was well for a few miles again till it started to grab higher and higher again till the clutch would almost not engage. No matter how I adjust it the cluth will start to grab higher and higher as I drive till the clutch won't engage

No leaks on any of the lines. Clutch master cylinder is full. Pedal feels fine, does not stick to the floor. Slave cylinder moves in and out like it should.

About to replace the master cylinder unless anyone has any other ideas. Clutch, PP, and flywheel have less than 5K miles on them.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Had a 300zx that acted in much the same manner, replaced the clutch master cylinder and that cured it.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by fst96se
Had a 300zx that acted in much the same manner, replaced the clutch master cylinder and that cured it.
Hey!

Just picked one up at napa. Never replaced one before, but doesn't look that hard
Old 07-17-2005, 12:00 AM

The slave cylinder was not all that hard to do.
I wish I could be more help with this, but all of my problems have been with the pedal sticking to the floor because of a loss of hydraulic pressure.
That is weird that it just keeps going higher and higher.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hi:

I have been having a similar problem like what "I30tMikeD" is describing.

Lately, my clutch starts to engage with the pedal very close to the floor -- about a half inch from the floor. Also, the pedal feels rather soft.

But after a short while of driving, it starts to engage at the normal point about a couple inches off the floor and the pedal seems to stiffen up a bit.

This past Sunday, my clutch pedal felt normal even right after engine startup.

But today, I had a hard time even getting the car into gear. I warmed the car up but could not get the shifter to go into any gear. With the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, I tried going into 2nd (cause 1st didn't work). As I was trying to pull the shifter back, I could feel the car slowly trying to move forward.

I turned off the engine and left the car in neutral. I pushed the car about a foot. Then suddenly, I had no problem shifting into any of the gears aside from some notchy feel. Still, the clutch was engaging with the pedal so close to the floor.

Getting my clutch looked at this weekend.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:30 PM

how do u adjust the clutch to grab higher??
Old 07-18-2005, 03:08 PM

Have you guys tried bleeding the clutch hydraulic system? Seems like the pressure changes and affects the clutch grab.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:11 PM

Odd issues with you clutch. Cant really think why the master cylinder would cause it but hopefully that cures the problem. Maybe the throw out bearing could be the culprit if not the master cylinder.

Originally Posted by SuperFishstick
how do u adjust the clutch to grab higher??
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...1&postcount=14
Old 07-18-2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fulltone74
Hi:

I have been having a similar problem like what "I30tMikeD" is describing.

Lately, my clutch starts to engage with the pedal very close to the floor -- about a half inch from the floor. Also, the pedal feels rather soft.

But after a short while of driving, it starts to engage at the normal point about a couple inches off the floor and the pedal seems to stiffen up a bit.

This past Sunday, my clutch pedal felt normal even right after engine startup.

But today, I had a hard time even getting the car into gear. I warmed the car up but could not get the shifter to go into any gear. With the clutch pedal all the way to the floor, I tried going into 2nd (cause 1st didn't work). As I was trying to pull the shifter back, I could feel the car slowly trying to move forward.

I turned off the engine and left the car in neutral. I pushed the car about a foot. Then suddenly, I had no problem shifting into any of the gears aside from some notchy feel. Still, the clutch was engaging with the pedal so close to the floor.

Getting my clutch looked at this weekend.
had the same prob. eventually, it became so bad that i couldn't even shift gears with the clutch pressed onto the floor boards! needed a new slave cylinder. now it's fine.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
had the same prob. eventually, it became so bad that i couldn't even shift gears with the clutch pressed onto the floor boards! needed a new slave cylinder. now it's fine.
Yeah, but that is totally different from what mike is saying his problem is.
His does not go dead, so it is not an issue of bleeding. If it needed to be bled, the clutch would have a bubble in the lines, and the peddle would go dead to the floor.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:14 AM

I messed with the adjustment a few more times before replacing the clutch master cylinder. Got it to a good spot and the engagement point stopped moving around on me. Was fine for the last 3 days till yesterday when it started engaging too low and I had a hard time getting it in gear again. It has to be the master cylinder, it is not the slave cylinder becasue the slave just moves the clutch fork in and out and that is not the issue. I was going to take back the master cylinder I bought, but now I am just gonna go ahead and replace it on my next day off. The 130K mile old fluid is probably not helping either.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:44 PM

Curious to know if the new master cylinder fixes the problem. Keep us posted.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:50 PM

curious did this ever solve the problem? I am having a hell of a time bleeding the system with my master cyl and suspect it may be the culpret...
Old 03-07-2006, 06:20 AM

Replacing the Master and Slave did solve the problem.