4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Changing fuel filter tomorrow, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2001, 09:31 AM
zaebis

Folks,

As there is ample of information available on how to change fuel filter on Max I still dont understand one thing. People agree that it is very difficult to reach filter clamps especially the bottom one. So will I have to reach it from underneath the car or can it be reached (to both detach and install) from the hood side.

Old 05-18-2001, 10:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by zaebis
Folks,

As there is ample of information available on how to change fuel filter on Max I still dont understand one thing. People agree that it is very difficult to reach filter clamps especially the bottom one. So will I have to reach it from underneath the car or can it be reached (to both detach and install) from the hood side.

I always do it from standing above the hood.
Old 05-18-2001, 11:02 AM

i just changed mines a couple of days ago and i did it from the top, its a little bit of a pain in the a-- but once you take out the top hose you can pull the filter out of the clamp and unscrew the bottom clamp and then pull out the hose and your done. just make sure you have a nice long phillips head screwdriver on hand.
Old 05-18-2001, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by 96MAXIMAGXE
i just changed mines a couple of days ago and i did it from the top, its a little bit of a pain in the a-- but once you take out the top hose you can pull the filter out of the clamp and unscrew the bottom clamp and then pull out the hose and your done.
You can actually pull the filter out of the clamp before you remove any hoses.
Old 05-18-2001, 06:51 PM

zaebis, from a recent adventure with a fuel filter, let me give you some first hand advice. First, go to the parts store and buy yourself about 18” of good high pressure fuel line. Second, if you have ramps, get the car in the air as it is far easier. Third, depressurize the fuel system. This involves pulling the fuel pump fuse then starting the car and letting it die. Give it one more start to make certain you have all the pressure out of the line. Oh, you will still get fuel, so have some rags/paper towels handy. Forth, and this is where my experience comes into play, cut, yes cut the line before the filter (from under the car) and then cut the line after the filter (from above). This way you can pull the filter from the car (set it aside with the cut hoses still on the filter). Now you can go back and undo the lower clamp which is attached to the fuel line from the tank. It will be easy to separate the cut line from the fuel pipe as you will be able to twist it free (you couldn’t do this if it was still attached to the filter). Now do the same on the top side, loosen the clamp, twist and remove the cut fuel line from the pipe. Now keep track of which cut end is which (lower or upper) because you are going to use the pieces ( the one’s you just took off and the one’s still attached to the filter) to get the length to cut your new hoses (remember step 2). Now take the two cut lines off the fuel filter, match them up with their counter part, measure and cut two new lengths of fuel line, connect them to the filter, secure with the clamps (upper and lower) and place the filter in the car. Now the great part about doing it this way is the hard to reach clamps are already on the filter, while the remaining upper and lower clamps are in plain view and easy to reach.

zaebis, the above is a recommendation from one who spent far to long on his first filter change. I can assure you the next time I tackle this job, I will use the cut and replace method. I would say start to finish will be about 20 minutes.

Good luck.
Old 05-18-2001, 07:12 PM
Administrator

http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max...lter/index.htm
Old 05-18-2001, 09:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by emax95

You can actually pull the filter out of the clamp before you remove any hoses.
Emax95,
You saying that you just tug hard on both ends and the clamp/hose will pop off?
Old 05-18-2001, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by zaebis
Folks,

This can be a job that will take determination. I have engine parts imprinted on my left are for a week. When I did mine, I kept the new filter close by so I wouldn't get gas all over everything. I disconnected the top hose first and connected the new filter to it. Make sure you position the new filter up so that your gas doesn't leak all over stuff. Then, I disconnected the bottom hose from the old filter and connected it to the new filter.

Putting the new one in is easier than taking the old one out for sure.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2001, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Mishmosh

Emax95,
You saying that you just tug hard on both ends and the clamp/hose will pop off?
No, I think you missunderstood me, what I ment is you can remove the filter from the clamp{the clamp that holds the filter to the car} with out removing any hoses, get it?

I30Tinme, no offense but what you are saying seems upserd to me. Just do what I did loosen both clams on the hoses and tug like there is no tomarrow and the hose will come off the filter, easy as that it just takes some power! I can remove my few filter and install a new one in under 15 minutes and I have a STB and ABS so theres no excuses. I am stumped why people have a tuff time doing this very simple install?
Old 05-19-2001, 06:12 AM

No, I think you missunderstood me, what I ment is you can remove the filter from the clamp{the clamp that holds the filter to the car} with out removing any hoses, get it?

I30Tinme, no offense but what you are saying seems upserd to me. Just do what I did loosen both clams on the hoses and tug like there is no tomarrow and the hose will come off the filter, easy as that it just takes some power! I can remove my few filter and install a new one in under 15 minutes and I have a STB and ABS so theres no excuses. I am stumped why people have a tuff time doing this very simple install?
It's simple when you can get the dumb thing out. I just used pliers to break the hoses free by twisting it back and forth. Then, it became easier to deal with. You have seen my long arms man, this is why I had a rough time. I lived thru it tho.
Old 05-19-2001, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by deezo

It's simple when you can get the dumb thing out. I just used pliers to break the hoses free by twisting it back and forth. Then, it became easier to deal with. You have seen my long arms man, this is why I had a rough time. I lived thru it tho.
Using pliers was a good idea, you just have to make sure you do not damage the fuel line when you do it. BTW I've got some long arms too, but there skinier then yours
Old 05-19-2001, 02:54 PM

Using pliers was a good idea, you just have to make sure you do not damage the fuel line when you do it. BTW I've got some long arms too, but there skinier then yours
LOL!!!
Old 05-19-2001, 06:34 PM

emax95, why I go through all of the bother is I am opposed to any instruction that contains the words "tug like there is no tomarrow". Remember those hoses are connected to small diameter pipes, which have a tendency to bend or kink, the last thing I want to do to a supply line in the fuel system. If you wish to run the risk on your car, fine, I would rather take a few extra minutes and be safe rather than sorry. Just my humble opinion.
Old 05-19-2001, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by I30TinME
emax95, why I go through all of the bother is I am opposed to any instruction that contains the words "tug like there is no tomarrow". Remember those hoses are connected to small diameter pipes, which have a tendency to bend or kink, the last thing I want to do to a supply line in the fuel system. If you wish to run the risk on your car, fine, I would rather take a few extra minutes and be safe rather than sorry. Just my humble opinion.
This is probably why he agreed with my plier method. You can use the pliers with care and just twist and turn until the hoses break free. Then pull them off by hand, carefully.
Old 05-21-2001, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by I30TinME
thanks for the info... i'm still debating which way i wanna go... lazy or safe

-V
Old 05-21-2001, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by vmok

thanks for the info... i'm still debating which way i wanna go... lazy or safe

-V
Always safe when gasoline is involved.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by deezo

You haven't said anything in detail about getting off the cut part of the hose on the fuel line. It would be helpful to see a picture of the cut hose attached to the fuel line because I cannot see where it is.

Also, if I'm going to replace the rubber hoses, you'd better believe that I'm going to use a longer one for the bottom so that I can actually raise up the filter far enough to unscrew the clamp attached tp the filter.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Addicted to the Org

Are you serious????????? You just pull of 2 hoses, and replace filter, very simple. Yet another old *** thread bump.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Just the tip.

Hahaha. Get him!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:54 AM

holy bump battman...
the aesiest way to change it is to take the hoses of where hey connect to the fuel line and the engine with the filter. than all you have to do is pull the hoses off the filter, put them on the new one and put the hoses where the go. its far easier than tryn to get the hoses off and on the filter with the limited space given
Old 08-11-2009, 02:01 PM

WTF 8yo thread bumped
Old 08-11-2009, 02:19 PM

lol this guy bumped 3 wicked old threads. ATLEAST he knows how to use the relevancy button, hes a step ahead of some other people on here.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Kevlo for President

DUDe stop bumping so many threads!