4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CEL-I know this has been posted 50 times but I went all the way to page 39 (the end)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

CEL-I know this has been posted 50 times but I went all the way to page 39 (the end)

I was messing with my O2 sensors because I thought that I didn't torque them correctly after putting in my Budget-Y. Me being a weakling, couldn't even turn the sensors a half of a turn so I said what the hell. I turned on the car to listen to exhaust leaks for like 30 minutes. The car has 4 different sounds (Engine turning, intake breathing, exhaust leak, and annoying muffler that grumbles like a honda civic after installing Y-Pipe). Soooo I figured I would pull my codes. 0505 - AKA no codes. SO I start my car and after 10 secs the CEL blinks. I shut it off and started again and it blinks again. I search the org for 10 minutes trying to figure it out because I know this has been posted 500 times but all I found was someone saying it was a soft code. I interpretted it as a sensor is going bad, but isn't croaked yet and I am praying it is my O2 sensors because I know they are somehow messed up. I go to start my car again and it doesn't blink; so I just rev my car a couple times to listen to the disgusting exhaust sound and then after I hit about 4K I hear this grinding sound from the engine bay. The words "what the *&^%(*#$)(*" are racing through my head and I just gave up. Man I love the luxury of the max, but every other day I tell myself I want an '02 Max.

To sum up my long story: What is a blinking CEL when the car is started and what could cause a grind in the engine bay ONLY after 4K.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Do I get a tax break?

1. A blinking CEL typically indicates a more serious failure.
2. Pull the codes from the ECU and let us know what (if anything) is stored.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:36 PM

ya sure you turned the screw on the ecu back all the way and didnt leave it in diagnostic mode or whatever.

the grinding noise sounds concerning, you didnt leave any tools in there did you and start the car.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:21 AM

The CEL didn't blink all the way to work so I think I may have left the car in diagnostic mode. I definately didn't have any tools in the engine bay. I revved up my car to 4K again this morning and heard it again before I pulled out of the neighborhood. Now I have to drive under 4K RPMs :'( . I don't think I have made it a day without going to 4.5K until today.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:05 PM

LOLOL WOW ... I just figured out that sound that I thought was an exhaust leak. It finally hit me like a brick wall. I HAVE BEES IN A CAN. Ugh the terribleness. It is such a disgusting sound that I am embaressed. I have got to get some exhaust wrap and shut it up. Where can you get some???
Old 06-09-2005, 07:08 PM

lol i'm glad it wasn't anything serious and i hope i don't have it with my new warpspeed
Old 06-09-2005, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by RedlineVQ
lol i'm glad it wasn't anything serious and i hope i don't have it with my new warpspeed
Oh I still don't know what the grind noise is. I am just saying that I thought I had an exhaust leak because when you drive with the windows down you hear a noise other then the intake, engine, and embarressing muffler. I just now know that noise is bees in a can. That scraping noise is wierd ... I am too chicken to sit there and rev my car over 4K multiple times to try to figure out what it is. There is this very very very wierd thought in my mind that it is the flex section of the Y-Pipe vibrating, but I seriously doubt it.

LOL BTW I didn't make it through the day without going over 4. I hit WOT twice within 20 minutes ... LOL I am such a crazy @$$ driver.