4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New muffler but not to loud?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 04:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

New muffler but not to loud?

I want to get a new muffler instead of my stock 95 SE. I want one that looks nice more so than it being loud. Getting a muffler tip is out of the question. I dont know what to get though, Is a smaller muffler louder or a bigger one louder?

Also how much does is cost to get a muffler installed, Could this be a do it your self?
Old 06-03-2005, 06:45 PM

Good question.... would a magnaflow be 2 loud and would it be hard to fit?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:01 PM
V^___^V

depends on what kind of style you are going for on the magnaflows. magnaflow SS mufflers are very quiet. all magnaflow mufflers are universal so u'll have to take it to a local muffler shop and have them weld it on for you.

as far as the loudest bolt-on muffler, i would go with stillen's muffler. since it's bolt-on application, you can install this yourself within 20 minutes. there's like 3 14mm bolts and 3 rubber hanger needs to be removed. just remove those and swap the new ones in. it's very easy.

as far as the loudest universal muffler, go with apexi N1 muffler. but u'll have to take this to a local shop and have them weld it on for u.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:42 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

if you are looking for a quiet muffler a 2k1 muffler will never hurt. looks better and has no sound differance
Old 06-03-2005, 09:06 PM

any bolt-on rear section will sound pretty nice

i have the stillen rear section with everything else stock, and it sounds nice
Old 06-03-2005, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
if you are looking for a quiet muffler a 2k1 muffler will never hurt. looks better and has no sound differance

Whats a 2k1 muffler, Do you guys have any links to maybe ebay or somewhere with pics?

I am looking for just a new muffler that will look nicer than the stock one, i would rather it be a quieter muffler, maybe a lil louder than stock. If i take it to get welded on how much would that cost? Thanks for the help guys keep it comming
Old 06-03-2005, 10:18 PM

dynomax super turbo, i have it and love it, no drone, cuts off around 4k rpms just in time for the injen intake to take over, sounds lovely, like a well conducted orchestra.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Magikone69
dynomax super turbo, i have it and love it, no drone, cuts off around 4k rpms just in time for the injen intake to take over, sounds lovely, like a well conducted orchestra.
Im going for mostly looks, that one looks the same as the stock? i want maybe a lil bigger exhaust tip that the stock one. i dunno what to do
Old 06-03-2005, 10:48 PM

You said you don't have money for at nice muffler tip? Then why bother - the tip is a big part of "wanting it to look nice" - and that is what you said you are going for...

Maybe I am just confused about what you meant?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by TrackSmart
You said you don't have money for at nice muffler tip? Then why bother - the tip is a big part of "wanting it to look nice" - and that is what you said you are going for...

Maybe I am just confused about what you meant?

Me too, i mean i have money, i think im just a newbie, do i put a tip on the dynomax super turbo? Can some1 explin to me what i need to do to make my muffle look nice w/o my muffler being really loud, its ok if its deeper than stock i just dont want to wake the neighbors when i turn my car on, I have subs that can do that
Old 06-04-2005, 07:18 AM

can some1 please show me a link or post a nice pic of a muffler that i should get and look nice?
Old 06-04-2005, 07:57 AM

get the dynomax and u can put any tip you want, i had a large selection of tips to choose from but since at that time my car looked stock, i didnt want anything big and ricey lookin, i just grabed a 3.5 inch tip with a rolled edge and i think it looks good. some say it looks small but i like it. after i put my stillen kit on i may go up to a 4 inch if i can find a nice slant cut one.

tip looks nice and clean IMO, not to big, but noticebly aggresive.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:09 AM

I agree. Don't go too crazy with a giant tip unless you have a full body kit and other stuff to match. I think the 3.5" you did was about right. You don't want it to look like your are trying THAT hard! Just a little bit sporty.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
depends on what kind of style you are going for on the magnaflows. magnaflow SS mufflers are very quiet. all magnaflow mufflers are universal so u'll have to take it to a local muffler shop and have them weld it on for you.
Almost as quiet as stock-type of quiet?
Old 06-04-2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Max Mutes
Almost as quiet as stock-type of quiet?

ONE THING EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW: There are no aftermarket "performance" mufflers that will be as quiet as stock or OEM replacement types. SOME of them are pretty good, but it will always be louder than stock. Most of us want a muffler with a deeper, manlier tone (not necessarily loud though). If you want stock noise levels, get an OEM or OEM-type replacement muffler and install a nice tip.

ALSO: The VQ engine has a "droning" sound at around 2,000-3,000 RPM. The stock mufflers are designed so that they cancel this droning very well for the absolute quietest driving. Aftermarket ones aren't designed specifically for the noise output of our VQs, so you will hear more engine noise, especially in those lower RPMS (and whenever you floor it of course!)

Lastly: You will probably come to like the fact that your car sounds like it's responding directly to the throttle. Touch the gas - hear a low growl - lift your foot - quiet again. If you've been running stock you may not be used to hearing your engine really respond except when flooring it.

Of course, if you want OEM quiet, don't go for a "performance" muffler. (Performance is in quotes b/c it's been shown that a new muffler doesn't gain you any measureable HP on the maxima.)

I've had my say. Good luck and feel free to disagree with my opinion. Later!
Old 06-04-2005, 09:35 AM

Would there be any better air flow/performanace noticed from using a 2001 Maxima muffler? I suspect the short answer is no.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:51 AM

Even the cheapest meineke muffler doesn't seem to lower HP on the maxima. I guess the lower part of the exhaust just isn't much of a bottleneck. It's certainly possible that you will get 1 HP from a free-flowing muffler, but reality is that no DYNO can measure this small of a change in HP. Maybe if you did 20 runs before and 20 runs after you could take an average and find 1 HP gained or lost.

The big bottleneck to airflow in the maxima is the stock y-pipe b/c of the internal cat converters. Nissan saw fit to block to airflow with a smaller section around one of the pre-cats (only 1 1/2" and squared off!) so that they heat up faster and give better emission numbers from a cold start.

Even the big contortion in the b-pipe where it goes under a bracket (also cuts diameter by a lot at that one spot) doesn't give much measureable horsepower on a naturally aspirated maxima. Some people claimed a 2-3 HP gain from the b-pipe alone, but their tests weren't scientific. You'd need to dyno the car on the same day, before and after. You'd also need to do several runs to be able to see a gain that small. I'm not saying it isn't there, it just isn't very big.

The y-pipe will ALWAYS be measureable on the Dyno. The b-pipe is maybe measureable with a few runs. The muffler is a negligible difference. That's all from well documented dyno info people have gathered over the years....

HOWEVER, you can't overlook the "placebo effect". I have a high-flow cat, b-pipe, y-pipe, and good flowing muffler and I "feel" like my car is breathing free and ready to rev! I doubt that the muffler or the high-flow cat do anything measureable, but I like that I have them. yes, it's irrational. but go figure.

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
Would there be any better air flow/performanace noticed from using a 2001 Maxima muffler? I suspect the short answer is no.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:56 AM

Thanks, I already have a stainless steel Budget y-pipe and K&N panel filter bought just under a year ago. I may need a new muffler in due course and will probably just stay with OEM. I could care less how the 2001 looks relative to the OEM, unless it were cheaper which I doubt.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:07 AM

Sounds like a smart move for your situation. Your car will stay quiet (i.e. the way you like it to be). Later.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by TrackSmart
ONE THING EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW: There are no aftermarket "performance" mufflers that will be as quiet as stock or OEM replacement types. SOME of them are pretty good, but it will always be louder than stock. Most of us want a muffler with a deeper, manlier tone (not necessarily loud though). If you want stock noise levels, get an OEM or OEM-type replacement muffler and install a nice tip.

ALSO: The VQ engine has a "droning" sound at around 2,000-3,000 RPM. The stock mufflers are designed so that they cancel this droning very well for the absolute quietest driving. Aftermarket ones aren't designed specifically for the noise output of our VQs, so you will hear more engine noise, especially in those lower RPMS (and whenever you floor it of course!)

Lastly: You will probably come to like the fact that your car sounds like it's responding directly to the throttle. Touch the gas - hear a low growl - lift your foot - quiet again. If you've been running stock you may not be used to hearing your engine really respond except when flooring it.

Of course, if you want OEM quiet, don't go for a "performance" muffler. (Performance is in quotes b/c it's been shown that a new muffler doesn't gain you any measureable HP on the maxima.)

I've had my say. Good luck and feel free to disagree with my opinion. Later!

Well said and this perfectly describes my car. I went with a Flowmaster instead of the shiny stuff and got a tip for it. I can't post pics yet, but as described, boominess between 2000 and 3000 (sounds great!!). Anything above that and it's just as quite as stock. It also is smaller than the stock muffler so it kinda cleans up the rear of the car a little bit. $200 installed at a local shop.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

i bought the sp2 copy by fsudo and it looks just like the sp2, beautiful 4.5 tip, nice sound not loud (i was surprised). its a weld on, but total came to 130 installed. im happy with it.i dont have pics, sorry, but ive seen pics of pple with their sp2 and it looks identical.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:57 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

well IMO a 2001 maxima muffler (or 2000) would serve your pourpose good. it looks much better and has no real differance in sound. it is alittle deeper but you do not notice it much in the car. you can pick a used on up arund on the org sometimes.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:23 PM

Get a OEM style muffler, or a 2k1. If you get a magnaflow or similar you will hate it.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:36 PM
I Broke OT

i have heard that the SP2 muffler sounds just like the whole Greddy Catback, but i am not sure if that means with or without aftermarket or custom b-pipe. i would love the SP2 for it's low rumbly tone, but is there anything cheaper? i guess what i'm getting at is: what muffler gives the deepest tone and is louder than stock? (if there isn't really anything cheap out there, i amy just get the OBX catback, which i have heard is a decent budget catback.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I thinking of replacing my muffler what would give me more engine *throaty ness* with out the motor bike sound.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:41 PM

can some1 please show me a link or post a nice pic of a muffler that i should get and look nice?
Hey jokester66:

unless your stock muffler is getting worn out, I would leave it alone and look at some resonator-type exhaust tips. These are usually a little bigger than the stock tip, and are lined with fiberglass or other packing to quiet any raspiness in the tone.

This first link is similar to one I used on my 87 model when I bought a borla muffler and found it to be too loud. It looked good enough, and quieted the exhaust a bunch;

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...001736/c-10101

and clamped with this:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...001718/c-10101

only a couple of minutes to install, although the above tip is pretty long, you may want to knock a few inches off your stock tip (with a hacksaw and a litte mechanic yoga to keep people from tripping over the new tip!)

Here's a link to some exhaust tips at jc whitney; they're pretty good to deal with:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/B...001736/c-10101

I hope this helps
Old 06-06-2005, 01:23 AM

If you have stock b-pipe, anything will sound fine.

Another org member and myself have the same exhuast except for b-pipe, and my car is at least 10X louder.