4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 11:17 PM

Rear brake issues

I was drivin home yesterday, and noticed that my car felt like it wasnt picking up like it usually does. When i got home, went looking around, and noticed that the right rear brakes were smoking. From the looks of everything, it seems as though it had been dragging the whole time. When i got ready to pull the brakes apart, i couldnt get the emergency brake cable unhooked. I had to unbolt the hanger for the cable further up to get enough slack to get it pulled off. I got it unhooked finally. Before anyone says anything, the parking/e-brake handle was down. Even after unhooking the cable, the caliper still didnt want to let go. I got it up, and turned the piston back into the caliper, then put it back down. I left the brake cable unhooked and drove it around, and my brakes worked perfectly. I brought the car back, and reconnected the cable, and before i tried to put it back together i just pulled the brake up and let it back down, and i could notice immediately that the brake was dragging again. I dont understand why it wont let go after i disengage the brake... It works just fine as long as i dont use the parking/ebrake. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-30-2005, 11:42 AM

bump guys... any ideas?
Old 05-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Is the parking brake cable itself retracting when you release the parking brake lever? It is a common problem for the parking brake cable to get bent (when the car is put on a lift), thus kinking and seizing the cable. The fix is to replace the cable. From your description, it sounds like the caliper is ok and its just the cable that is not releasing. Try this: have someone engage/release the parking brake, see if you notice the parking brake mechanism on the caliper getting pulled/released... compare it to the other rear side if you need a reference. Also, make sure that the spring that helps disengage the parking brake on the caliper is still in place - without the spring, there is nothing to pull the cable back/release the piston.

I've given you a lot of info - assuming you know a little about the way the rear brakes work. Just post back any questions if you don't understand what I've written.

Cheers.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:59 PM

Pull the pins out, clean and regrease them and put on new boots.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:04 AM

njmodi, the cable does move (extend/retract) When the parking brake is (dis) engaged. The return spring is stil there, but i am doubting how effective it might be at this point. Its not all that strong of a spring but it might not need to be a really stout spring. The arm that the cable attaches to does move, but i havent checked it against the other side-will try to do this tonight. thanks for the helpful post. I do have a question, though... Is there a way to adjust that arm? Does the nut that the return spring sits on move?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by A5295
njmodi, the cable does move (extend/retract) When the parking brake is (dis) engaged. The return spring is stil there, but i am doubting how effective it might be at this point. Its not all that strong of a spring but it might not need to be a really stout spring. The arm that the cable attaches to does move, but i havent checked it against the other side-will try to do this tonight. thanks for the helpful post. I do have a question, though... Is there a way to adjust that arm? Does the nut that the return spring sits on move?

If the cable is indeed retracting fully, then most likely you have a seized caliper piston. The problem is perhaps exacerbated when you engage the parking brake, since the piston is typically extended further via the parking brake mechanism than during regular pedal braking.

I once tried to adjust the nut the return spring is seated on - but the caliper was so badly rusted from many midwest winters, the nut just sheared off... so I ended up replacing the caliper.

Cheers.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:16 AM

Provided that the caliper is there anything you can do to lube the cable and ebrake on the caliper?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by ajsilvaoc
Provided that the caliper is there anything you can do to lube the cable and ebrake on the caliper?
Not that I know. The cable itself can not be lubed. All you can do is make sure the return-spring on the e-brake mechanism is still strong and replace that (not sure if you'll be able to get that anywhere other than the dealer).
Old 06-14-2005, 08:34 PM

this is a funky problem im having my self. The car is going into a local repair shop tommorow but i tried everything so far. Greased the pins, checked for caliper seizing, checked e brake, nothin helps. njmodi, does that wheel make a scrapping noise when you drive very slow? all i can say is this is no home mechanics work! Wait till i get my car back and i'll tell u the cause, i have the exact same problem, exact!