4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tranny popping out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tranny popping out of gear

After having a new clutch & flywheel installed 15,000 miles ago, my trans started to pop out of 4th & 3rd gear when I am cruising & let off the throttle? Does this mean those gears are shot & need replacing? It never did that till after the new clutch/flywheel were installed.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:39 PM

Sounds like your throw out bearing, sounds like the culprit.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Sounds like your throw out bearing, sounds like the culprit.
TOB was replaced @ the same time. Was it installed improperly? WTF would cause this if it was new?
Old 04-08-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by jblinga
TOB was replaced @ the same time. Was it installed improperly? WTF would cause this if it was new?

if it was installed improperly it could be the culprit, but thats not the only thing that could cause it but usually the best know suspect.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:56 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

on my last tranny, my 5th gear would always pop out. cant exactly remember the problem, but eventually that tranny died so....
Old 04-08-2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
if it was installed improperly it could be the culprit, but thats not the only thing that could cause it but usually the best know suspect.
Son of a *****!
I hope the stealership will check it out for free or else I'm screwed!!
Old 04-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Maintenance Monster

It could be your motor mounts - since the shifter is mounted to the frame, and the tranny hangs on mounts, then when you change the torque on the engine, the shifter could get pulled out of gear. Just a guess, but a logical one. The other possibility is the shifter detente springs are tired or broken. That would be a cheap and easy fix.

Dave
Old 04-08-2005, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
It could be your motor mounts - since the shifter is mounted to the frame, and the tranny hangs on mounts, then when you change the torque on the engine, the shifter could get pulled out of gear. Just a guess, but a logical one. The other possibility is the shifter detente springs are tired or broken. That would be a cheap and easy fix.

Dave
I had a leaking detent bolt problem, so that could be it.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:31 PM

Your synchros are gone. Happened to another car of mine, eventually the gears went to. Have it checked out ASAP.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:45 AM

i have the same problem but only in 2nd and 1st gear with no tension on the gears, i can pull it right out and sometimes it pops out on its own. my problem is that i took out the wrong freaking bolt to drain my trani fluid so a spring and bearing ball came out with the oil, i think its called the detent spring or something. maybe, if you havent done the same as me, yours could just be worn out? i think the one i took out holds 1st and 2nd in gear, and theres another one that does 4,5th etc. im guessing tho
Old 04-09-2005, 10:07 AM

I have an automatic tranny and I have a very sluggish start... revs to 2500 or 3000 and then shifts to gear... any leads ? My ECU Error code reads 11-06, problem shifting to 4th gear but mine seems to have probs shifting to 2nd !
Old 04-09-2005, 10:08 AM

Also, could it be just that the tranny fluid is so bad and needs replaced? Could the computer see the gears better? Any leads would help..
Old 04-09-2005, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by dayglo
i have the same problem but only in 2nd and 1st gear with no tension on the gears, i can pull it right out and sometimes it pops out on its own.
I have the same issue as you only with 4th gear, I can pull it out with some force. I believe it would take a rebuilt to fix, syncho or other problem inside the tranny.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:29 PM

It was odd that it started to happen imediately after the new clutch/flywheel. That makes me think something was put back together improperly. I'm going to take it in, hey I need a new rear main seal, mine is starting to leak. Good excuse to have the stealership pull my tranny out @ their cost, oh & while you're in there, throw in a new rear main seal gasket !!! haha thanx for the feedback jblinga
Old 04-09-2005, 02:51 PM

since it started right after then it was definately an install problem, in which case you can have the dealership take a look at it for free and get them to fix the problem.

Since you need a new rear main seal put in, this is good timing they cant charge you for labor because they are in there anyway, you'd just pay for the part and they shold swap it out plus fix the problem.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:35 PM

Does anyone know how to fix the error 11-06 reported by the ECU? I am more interested in knowing if this would need a tranny rebuild or not...
Old 04-09-2005, 03:40 PM

the code you got was 11 - 06 or is that the number you got from a code scanner?
Old 04-09-2005, 04:50 PM

ram duno bout the 11-06 but i just took my car to aamco this weekend. I wasn't moving at all until 2.5-3k rpms either. I'll let you know what happens, they are calling me on monday
Old 04-09-2005, 06:19 PM

MDeezy, the code I got was from the ECU. The check engine light was on and I followed the instructions from the link below to read the error code from the ECU.

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

Using the following link, found out what the error it was indicating. The error message read "Improper Shifting to Fourth Gear (A/T)"

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html

Crockpot, I would really appreciate if you let me know what they tell you bout the car. You seem to be mimicking my problem. Hopefully, they don't say that they need to do the tranny.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:54 PM

guys, sorry, i'm kinda a n00b here...but when you say the shifter pops out, does it actually move into neutral by itself? I just got a 5spd '97 SE 3 days ago so i dunno much about it
Old 04-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing....does it pop out of gear on its own? My shifter "pops" out of 2nd, but only when I go to shift to 3rd. It seems like as soon as i begin to move the shift lever, it pops into neutral on its own. Does this have anything to do with the shifter detente springs?
Old 04-10-2005, 06:11 AM

Is there a way to search for threads in this forum...like threads relating to transmission issue or gas mileage, say. I don't see any but I am pretty sure a sophisticated site with thousands of members would definitely have one. I am just blind !!
Old 04-10-2005, 06:17 AM
Maintenance Monster

1) Become a donating member
2) Click on the Search link above the Maxima.org logo.

Dave
Old 04-10-2005, 08:09 AM

See... I am blind !! ..and who is a donating member/how do you become one?
Old 04-10-2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by dayglo
i have the same problem but only in 2nd and 1st gear with no tension on the gears, i can pull it right out and sometimes it pops out on its own. my problem is that i took out the wrong freaking bolt to drain my trani fluid so a spring and bearing ball came out with the oil, i think its called the detent spring or something. maybe, if you havent done the same as me, yours could just be worn out? i think the one i took out holds 1st and 2nd in gear, and theres another one that does 4,5th etc. im guessing tho
I had this happen with another car (repaired by a dealership even). The torque from the engine was sometimes enough to push the shifter out of gear. It got to the point where I had to hold the shifter in each gear when I first pulled away from stoplights. It's easy enough to fix, just really annoying.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by sbddude
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing....does it pop out of gear on its own? My shifter "pops" out of 2nd, but only when I go to shift to 3rd. It seems like as soon as i begin to move the shift lever, it pops into neutral on its own. Does this have anything to do with the shifter detente springs?
When I'm cruising in 4th gear(worst one to pop out for my car) when I let off the throttle the shifter jumps forward on its own which pops the trans out of gear. My 96' has 136K on the original trans & I'm beginning to think it was not an installation problem? As for popping out of gear between shifts, my car does the same but again I'm not sure what the cause is.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by ram_maximus
Crockpot, I would really appreciate if you let me know what they tell you bout the car. You seem to be mimicking my problem. Hopefully, they don't say that they need to do the tranny.
$1,698.59 rebuild coming my way... yay

Not sure on exact prob. is yet, that repair price is the minimum.. they could find more shjit when they have it apart. Gave them the go ahead to pull'er apart, see whats happin'.. they're calling me tomorrow to inform me of whats all wrong with it.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Crockpot
$1,698.59 rebuild coming my way... yay

Not sure on exact prob. is yet, that repair price is the minimum.. they could find more shjit when they have it apart. Gave them the go ahead to pull'er apart, see whats happin'.. they're calling me tomorrow to inform me of whats all wrong with it.
dude, I would buy a book on manual transmission repair and do it myself for that cost. Manuals are not nearly as hard to work on as automatics, and I bet you could fix it for less than 300 bux in parts. www.motorvate.ca has a writeup on cracking the tranny to change out differential bearings. You can see from his writeup that it's not all that hard to take apart
Old 04-11-2005, 06:28 PM

na man i gots an automatic i just kinda hijacked the manual owners thread
Old 04-11-2005, 07:03 PM

awww that sux man
Old 04-12-2005, 10:49 AM

Damn dude.... I was hoping they wouldn't tell you that ..I sorta got the same bill too.. Aww man, this sux. I am taking mine to a dealer today to get it checked. Will let you know later on ... Just goin in to get a second opinion.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:52 PM

All right ! My verdict is in too... I gotta do my tranny also. They haven't given me a quote yet but I am sure it should be in the $2000+ range.... cuz they charge 50 bucks to change the transmission fluid ! I also have the CV boots busted, the rear brakes and the struts. Need to replace one of the speakers too... another 1000 bucks and I would have spent the same I bought the car for!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

I would get a second or third estimate before you get that much work done. $2000 is alot!
Old 04-12-2005, 09:02 PM
brotherhood of tq

ur tranny is next to shot, this happened to my car n the next day my tranny just siezed
Old 04-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Or you can replace the transmission with one from a junkyard. If you're going to shell out that kind of money to rebuild it, why not spend another ~$300 to rebuild one with LSD from the junkyard? You'll need a new driver's side axle, but it's worth it, IMHO.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:37 AM

This estimate is the third! I took it to a mechanic, a tranny dude and then to the dealer. The dealer hasn't given me a quote but the tranny dude did and it was $1700. Since dealers charge way more than others do, I estimated that it would be in the 2G range.

Junkyard - I am more than open to doing that if that could save me some bucks.

1. Need to find a good junkyard.
2. How good would this tranny I get from the junkyard be?!
3. I am new and so not used to the abbreviations here. What is LSD and IMHO?
Old 04-13-2005, 07:57 AM

LSD = Limited Slip Differential
IMHO - in my honnest opinion.

Search for trannies also @ www.car-part.com they have some good prices. Get a 5th gen tranny, stronger and better.

For $1700 you should be able to find a 5th gen tranny, buy 5th gen clutch kit, both axles (if needed) plus install and have some change left over.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:17 AM

Lmao

I checked in with a dealer and he gave me a quote. Its freaking $3200 )
Old 04-13-2005, 08:27 AM

Allright... now back to square one. Would a 5th gen tranny fit a 1995 Max? I have no clues...so willing to take your word. What else do I need to get..I need new drive axles, clutch kit, need an Odometer (my odo doesn't work!). What else? Need to find the right junkyard and a mechanic who'll put it all in.

Is there a way to know that the tranny I am getting is good or do I just take the word of the junkyard guy! I am soooooooooo screwed..damn!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:36 AM

a 5th gen tranny (years 2000 and 2001 only) have the same part number and is the same transmission, But those hears the tranny was strong and 3rd gear is especially stronger. to install a 5th gen tranny is the same as a 4th gen direct bolt up no modding needed what so ever. Clutch kit is the same thing its stronger and grabs better than stock 4th gen OEM clutch.

Sadly I'm in this position too, but when purchasing a tranny, I'd worried about it condition too but sadly you'll just have to go with your gut, unless you have a junk yard thats close to you and you go and look at the tranny yoruself. No matter where you get your tranny from you should have a warantee on it, so that is some sort of protection.

Quick Reply: Tranny popping out of gear