4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tranny popping out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If you're rebuilding anyway, I'd suggest rebuilding a junkyard transmission w/LSD. You have the opportunity to get LSD for ~$300; sweet deal.

If you're thinking about rebuilding, and are handy with a wrench, you might want to get a new transmission and R&R it yourself. If you're getting a VLSD transmission, you will need a new driver's side axle. If you have an auto (and are feeling adventurous), you might want to consider the 5spd swap at this time.

$1901.78 - 2001 Maxima Automatic Transaxle w/o VLSD
$2465.66 - 2001 Maxima Automatic Transaxle w/VLSD
$1706.72 - 2001 Maxima Manual Transaxle w/o VLSD
$1665.61 - 2001 Maxima Manual Transaxle w/VLSD
All prices from www.everythingnissan.com
Old 04-13-2005, 03:44 PM

Thank you Sryth.. Firstly, what is the difference between rebuilding and putting it new? So far, I thought the only way to fix a transmission is to put it new and this was what they called rebuilding. I am extremely sorry. I am very very new to cars and the terminologies yet. I know LSD is L.......... speed differential, although I don't know what it is. What is a VLSD? and R&R???

Thanks for the info though. I guess I'll get one from a junkyard.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ram_maximus
I checked in with a dealer and he gave me a quote. Its freaking $3200 )
rebuilt transmission from my dealer quoted at ~2 grand
Old 04-13-2005, 04:16 PM

rebuilding is fixing the transmission you already have. You also have the option of putting in a new one, or having a used one from a junkyard put in.

Limited slip differential (LSD) means power will be transmitted to both wheels even if one starts slipping. In a normal car (open differential) all of the power will go to the wheel with less traction. This means you will have less traction in slippery conditions because as soon as one wheel starts slipping, you lose power to the other wheel. Limited slip will continue to transmit power to both wheels even if one is freewheeling on ice.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ram_maximus
Thank you Sryth.. Firstly, what is the difference between rebuilding and putting it new? So far, I thought the only way to fix a transmission is to put it new and this was what they called rebuilding. I am extremely sorry. I am very very new to cars and the terminologies yet. I know LSD is L.......... speed differential, although I don't know what it is. What is a VLSD? and R&R???

Thanks for the info though. I guess I'll get one from a junkyard.
Rebuild == repair your transmission; New == buy a brand new one

If you're looking at ~$1700 for the rebuild, I'd look into getting a new one from Nissan.

LSD == Limited Slip Differential (think of the Subaru commercial...transfers power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip)
VLSD == Viscous LSD (the type of differentials that Nissan makes...uses the viscosity of a fluid to do it's job)
R&R == Remove and Replace
Old 04-15-2005, 08:40 AM

Thank you very much for the information guys. I had no clues on what LSD was! There is no way I am gonna put a tranny in for $3200. I probably should get a tranny from a junkyard and put one. Is it advisable to put a manual tranny in at this point?

Did you get your transmission rebuilt, Crockpot??
Old 03-16-2006, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sorry to bring this thread up... but, I didn't feel like making a new one....

I have the same initial problem, 3rd and 4th the shifter come off gear, if I let go of the gas. (only If I pull it out of it) under accel or slowing down it stays firm in gear.

when I say "come off gear" is without pressing the clutch.

I just swaped trans. from my old car to this one (old one had a bad main bearing)
so, am I screwed? how long?
Old 03-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Maintenance Monster

No way to know. It could go on like that indefinitely, assuming you don't grind it when it pops out. Simply popping out of gear under no load does not damage it.

The two possibilities are 1) damaged shifter detentes, 2) damaged synchros. I would change the 3/4 shift check ball and spring (drain the oil first) and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, it will require a rebuild to fix.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:04 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
No way to know. It could go on like that indefinitely, assuming you don't grind it when it pops out. Simply popping out of gear under no load does not damage it.

The two possibilities are 1) damaged shifter detentes, 2) damaged synchros. I would change the 3/4 shift check ball and spring (drain the oil first) and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, it will require a rebuild to fix.
dammit....my 3rd and 4th gear just started doing this.

Hopefully it's just the spring, I saw it mentioned before that it could also be the motor mounts going bad and moving around? This reason legit?

I guess I'll have to try the spring and check ball first.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:55 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
dammit....my 3rd and 4th gear just started doing this.

Hopefully it's just the spring, I saw it mentioned before that it could also be the motor mounts going bad and moving around? This reason legit?

I guess I'll have to try the spring and check ball first.
3 year old thread...

With enough engine movement, yes, it could pop out of gear.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:33 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by pmohr
3 year old thread...

With enough engine movement, yes, it could pop out of gear.
3 years old doesn't mean it doesn't have good information....right?

Anyway, I was messing around with this today, it seems like 1st and 2nd gear won't pop out of gear no matter what you do, so I'm guessing it's just the springs.
The problem is I can get 5th gear to do it too.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:54 PM
SLOW

I didn't read the whole thread, just the first post and then 97SEDriver's post and beyond.

synchros would not cause popping out of gear.

worn 3/4 coupler sleeve would, as would worn engagement teeth on 3rd/4th gears. or it could be the detent though I've never seen a detent that is "worn out." not sure how that would happen... excessive engine movement for and aft could also cause it. or a combination of any of the above.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:41 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I didn't read the whole thread, just the first post and then 97SEDriver's post and beyond.

synchros would not cause popping out of gear.

worn 3/4 coupler sleeve would, as would worn engagement teeth on 3rd/4th gears. or it could be the detent though I've never seen a detent that is "worn out." not sure how that would happen... excessive engine movement for and aft could also cause it. or a combination of any of the above.
it seems to be more common in 4th than 3rd. 1st and 2nd the stick is rock solid, almost no movement at all.

It started to happen all of a sudden, how hard is it to change a coupler sleeve? Hopefully I don't have to take apart the trans for that, I really hope it isn't the engagement teeth.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:46 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
it seems to be more common in 4th than 3rd. 1st and 2nd the stick is rock solid, almost no movement at all.

It started to happen all of a sudden, how hard is it to change a coupler sleeve? Hopefully I don't have to take apart the trans for that, I really hope it isn't the engagement teeth.
Yes, you would have to split the trans to replace it.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 AM
this place is dead

Yes, you would have to split the trans to replace it.
if that's the case, I'll do the springs first and hope for the best
Old 06-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Update: Drove the car for 50K with this prob. I pulled the trans due to bad differential bearings. Shop inspected my trans and said 3-4 "slider" was worn out and could possibly be why it was popping out of gear. Also I noticed my front motor mount does have a large split in the rubber. I'm leaning towards motor mount but will never know as I'm upgrading to a LSD and replacing motor mount.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Banned

thats mad dangerous man
dont do it
Old 06-09-2009, 04:06 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by jblinga
Update: Drove the car for 50K with this prob. I pulled the trans due to bad differential bearings. Shop inspected my trans and said 3-4 "slider" was worn out and could possibly be why it was popping out of gear. Also I noticed my front motor mount does have a large split in the rubber. I'm leaning towards motor mount but will never know as I'm upgrading to a LSD and replacing motor mount.

just clarification for everyone else, the slider, sleeve, coupler, coupler sleeve, etc are all the same part. different names for the same part.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:02 AM
this place is dead

just clarification for everyone else, the slider, sleeve, coupler, coupler sleeve, etc are all the same part. different names for the same part.
Ok, one question, if the gear will stay in if you hold the stick, would that be more likely a spring, or would that still possibly be the slider?

The stick doesn't move in 1st or 2nd, but moves back and forth for 3rd, 4th and 5th. So, what are my chances it's just a spring?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:42 AM
SLOW

I'm virtually positive it's your 3/4 slider because i've never heard of a detent "going bad" in my life. I'm not sure how one would go bad wear out. Only scenario I can see would be if someone removed it and bent the spring all to hell or lost the ball and put the wrong size ball or spring back in there.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:44 AM
No more Maximas...

I'm virtually positive it's your 3/4 slider because i've never heard of a detent "going bad" in my life. I'm not sure how one would go bad wear out. Only scenario I can see would be if someone removed it and bent the spring all to hell or lost the ball and put the wrong size ball or spring back in there.
Well, hopefully it's not the sadly too common 'I drained my fluid with the first bolt I saw, is that thing that fell out important, because I threw it away'.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:14 AM
SLOW

Well, hopefully it's not the sadly too common 'I drained my fluid with the first bolt I saw, is that thing that fell out important, because I threw it away'.
that scenario always blows my mind...
Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 AM
No more Maximas...

that scenario always blows my mind...
Oh come on, it's like a special surprise from your Maxima.

Yay extra parts.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:56 AM
this place is dead

I hope no one has touched the transmission, I have had the car since 99 and I've done any work pertaining to the transmission myself (just raxles and clutch line).

I guess I'm doubtful that it's the ball and spring, but if it's cheap it might be worth a shot for me anyway. If the ball and spring were messed up before, that means I've driven over 150K miles on a bad detent.

Neal, since I'm guessing you know, if I get to the point where I'm taking the tranny apart. I'm better off just biting the bullet and getting a 2001 5spd right? My current axles and everything would work correct?

I saw you're discussion about going to 6spd, but that means I'm mating a 6spd to a VQ3.0 and changing axles and everything, which I don't think I want to spend the money to do. Unless it bolts right up and I can use the same axles, I don't think I want to go through that hassle.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:26 PM
SLOW

There's really no benefit to the newer 5spd other than the fact that it's newer and is likely to have lower mileage (unless you're wanting a VLSD from a 2001 AE or infiniti I30t VLSD 4th gen of course).

i will have a trans for sale here at some point in the near future i'm hoping, whenever i get around to finishing the rebuild on it (it's back in michigan and I live in illinois now). some time this summer i'm hoping, if you're interested. I've also got a VLSD that I'll be putting together too, but that may be a longer wait, not sure. depends upon work and my motiviation level lol.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:19 AM
this place is dead

There's really no benefit to the newer 5spd other than the fact that it's newer and is likely to have lower mileage (unless you're wanting a VLSD from a 2001 AE or infiniti I30t VLSD 4th gen of course).

i will have a trans for sale here at some point in the near future i'm hoping, whenever i get around to finishing the rebuild on it (it's back in michigan and I live in illinois now). some time this summer i'm hoping, if you're interested. I've also got a VLSD that I'll be putting together too, but that may be a longer wait, not sure. depends upon work and my motiviation level lol.
So all this I hear about the 2000, 2001 3rd gear being better is not accurate? Going on the impression that 2000-2001 3rd gears were better and the 5th gen clutch was better, I figured if I go into the tranny, might as well replace the clutch too, since it has 150k on it that I know of (190k on the car).
The bump on the 2001 AE VLSD is that I could burn up the VLSD if I do another couple Pocono runs or ever get my azz up to Watkins Glen? Is the 3rd gear on the VLSD better?
Old 07-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I Had same problem on an older car back in the day. The problem turned out to be the ball bearings in the tranny. Most likely needs rebuilt tranny. Take it back to the dealer first and see if they can diagnose it since the flywheel and clutch are under their labor warranty.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 96 SE has all the deteriorating signs of the differential bearing going out.
Whine in neutral, 1st gear horrible growling, 2nd gear almost as bad, 3rd gear a little better, 4th and 5th ok, but getting worse.

Does anyone know where I can find a reliable used tranny or a rebuilt unit?
I've searched high and low.

Car-Parts.com listed "Al's Auto Parts" in Trevose, PA as having a couple at $675 and 100kish mileage. Has anyone worked with these guys?

I'm scrambling to find an organ-donor before my Max quits on me on the freeway. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm in Seattle, WA btw.

Thanks!

Josh
Old 10-07-2009, 01:14 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by DarkGreenSE
My 96 SE has all the deteriorating signs of the differential bearing going out.
Whine in neutral, 1st gear horrible growling, 2nd gear almost as bad, 3rd gear a little better, 4th and 5th ok, but getting worse.

Does anyone know where I can find a reliable used tranny or a rebuilt unit?
I've searched high and low.

Car-Parts.com listed "Al's Auto Parts" in Trevose, PA as having a couple at $675 and 100kish mileage. Has anyone worked with these guys?

I'm scrambling to find an organ-donor before my Max quits on me on the freeway. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm in Seattle, WA btw.

Thanks!

Josh
did anyone get in touch with you?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
this place is dead

As a quick update before I make my thread with pics, eventually I totally lost 4th gear but drove around like that for months...

then mid month I ended up losing 5th....then on the way home 1st and 2nd...I drove to work one more time with just 3rd....and when I came back from a business trip with the new tranny and clutch at the house, I tried to drive it home afterhours instead of towing it...and boom...lost 3rd