4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help reading MIL codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 07:13 PM
JC
Donating Maxima.org Member

This is the story since about a week ago i've been listening some weird sounds like relays going off coming from the engine especially when i WOT in third gear them lately i've been having to crank it for a few seconds to get en engine running and today it felt kind of like short in fuel and the check engine came on.

I tried to do the diag. and i'm not sure if there is more than one problem, this is what came up...
3 long lights, them 4 shorts,10 longs and 5 shorts i think that one is 0304 knock sensor but i'm not sure and very i realy need some help from the experts.

Thanks in advance.

JC
Old 05-07-2001, 07:22 PM
Administrator

1005 is EGRC Solenoid valve

i will sit back and watch Daniel B do his magic

Originally posted by JC
This is the story since about a week ago i've been listening some weird sounds like relays going off coming from the engine especially when i WOT in third gear them lately i've been having to crank it for a few seconds to get en engine running and today it felt kind of like short in fuel and the check engine came on.

I tried to do the diag. and i'm not sure if there is more than one problem, this is what came up...
3 long lights, them 4 shorts,10 longs and 5 shorts i think that one is 0304 knock sensor but i'm not sure and very i realy need some help from the experts.

Thanks in advance.

JC
Old 05-07-2001, 07:30 PM
JC

Originally posted by SprintMax

Thanks SprintMax some magic would be good.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:32 PM

DTC 0304

Originally posted by JC

Thanks in advance.

JC
Diagnostic Trouble Code 0304 points to a problem with the Knock Sensor. The KS is attached to the cylinder block. It senses engine knocking using a piezoelectric element. A knocking vibration from the cylinder block is senses as vibrational pressure. This pressure is converted into a voltage signal and sent to the Engine Control Module (The computer).

This malfunction is detected when an excessively high or low voltage from the KS is entered to the ECM. Possible causes include...
- the harness or connector (The KS circuit is open or shorted).
- the KS

The KS may be checked with an ohmmeter.

1) Raise the hood. View the engine from the driver's fender. Look into
the deep valley between the cylinder banks and below the intake manifold.
Identify the KS as a black item fastened to the block by a single vertical
bolt. A wire harness wrapped in black leads toward you, out of the valley.
That is the KS sub-harness.

2) Follow the KS sub-harness to it's nearest connector. This is connector F121.
It is located near the upper right-hand corner of the valve cover of the forward cylinder bank, as viewed from the front of the car.

3) Disconnect F121. You have to do a "press the latch and wiggle and
pull" to disconnect it. F121 has only two pins; if you see more than two
pins, you have the wrong connector. Use a digital ohmmeter capable of
measuring more than 10 Megohms. You want to measure the pins of F121, not
the sockets of the matching connector. Measure the resistance between a
good ground (such as the battery negative terminal) and pin #2 of connector
F121. On my car this is the highest of the two pins, the one closest to
the front of the car. The factory spec is 500 - 620 Kohms.

The manual says you have to remove the intake manifold to replace the KS. However, I think that a person with good dexterity and a 10mm ratcheting box wrench could replace the KS without disturbing the manifold.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:44 PM

DTC 1005 not in the '99 FSM

The majority of my information about Diagnostic Trouble Codes comes from my '99 Maxima factory service manual. Unfortunately, DTC 1005 is not in that book. Starting in '99 the Maxima engine uses a step-motor type of EGR valve and with that change, the DTCs changed.

The Chilton and Haynes manuals provide a little information about the EGR Solenoid Valve.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:48 PM
JC

Re: DTC 0304

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Diagnostic Trouble Code 0304 points to a problem with the Knock Sensor. The KS is attached to the cylinder block. It senses engine knocking using a piezoelectric element. A knocking vibration from the cylinder block is senses as vibrational pressure. This pressure is converted into a voltage signal and sent to the Engine Control Module (The computer).

This malfunction is detected when an excessively high or low voltage from the KS is entered to the ECM. Possible causes include...
- the harness or connector (The KS circuit is open or shorted).
- the KS

The KS may be checked with an ohmmeter.

1) Raise the hood. View the engine from the driver's fender. Look into
the deep valley between the cylinder banks and below the intake manifold.
Identify the KS as a black item fastened to the block by a single vertical
bolt. A wire harness wrapped in black leads toward you, out of the valley.
That is the KS sub-harness.

2) Follow the KS sub-harness to it's nearest connector. This is connector F121.
It is located near the upper right-hand corner of the valve cover of the forward cylinder bank, as viewed from the front of the car.

3) Disconnect F121. You have to do a "press the latch and wiggle and
pull" to disconnect it. F121 has only two pins; if you see more than two
pins, you have the wrong connector. Use a digital ohmmeter capable of
measuring more than 10 Megohms. You want to measure the pins of F121, not
the sockets of the matching connector. Measure the resistance between a
good ground (such as the battery negative terminal) and pin #2 of connector
F121. On my car this is the highest of the two pins, the one closest to
the front of the car. The factory spec is 500 - 620 Kohms.

The manual says you have to remove the intake manifold to replace the KS. However, I think that a person with good dexterity and a 10mm ratcheting box wrench could replace the KS without disturbing the manifold.
Thanks a lot guy very helpfull info.

I'll prolly have to have replace 'cause last time i went for a diag. @ the dealer they told me that the base idle was set too low and some other crap about KS and that it'll has to be replace if future problems happens.
Old 05-07-2001, 09:32 PM

The egr stand for exhaust gas recirculation. The purpose is to reduce engine temperature and lower Nox emissions. If the system is recirculating when it is not suppose to it will feel like a loss of power. If the system is not recirculating, it may cause knocks because of the hotter combustion chamber. This may be the noise JC is hearing. I would first take care of the 1005 code first and hope that 0304 code goes away also.

Old 08-11-2001, 03:18 PM

Re: Re: DTC 0304/1005

Originally posted by JC

Thanks a lot guy very helpfull info.

I'll prolly have to have replace 'cause last time i went for a diag. @ the dealer they told me that the base idle was set too low and some other crap about KS and that it'll has to be replace if future problems happens.
JC -
Did you ever get this resolved. It just started happening to me.
Old 08-11-2001, 06:54 PM
JC

No i never did.

I came to the conclusion that with my OEM ECU it doesn't make any sound at all but with my JWT ECU + chip gas it does.

I was told @ the dealer that the KS just adjust timing and it wasn't realy a priority to replace.

Good luck
Old 08-11-2001, 07:19 PM

Daniel were do you get this stuff, are you reading something???? Just asking, no need to answer if not necessary.
Old 08-12-2001, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by gtr_rider
Daniel were do you get this stuff, are you reading something???? Just asking, no need to answer if not necessary.
I read everything I can get my hands on. The Maxima factory shop manual. The Chilton and Haynes repair manuals. Magazine articles. Newsgroups. Web sites.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:17 PM
maximar34

3/6 CEL CODE

For the 3/6 code it is egrc-bpt valve. what is that and how do i fix it, and how much is it to fix.why did it go bad?Also my cel detected rear o2 sensor is bad and the knock ensor is bad.