4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replacing Hood Struts

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001, 05:59 PM
dbrody

How hard is it to replace the hood struts on a '96? I was going to try some of the after market ones from an auto parts store as mentioned in a few other posts. It appears I have an access space to reach the inside nut on the lower mounting but there is no access hole to reach the inside nut on the top mounting. Anyone ever done this?

Old 05-07-2001, 06:12 PM

i should be demoted back to lurker...whats a hood strut? the things that hold the hood up??? :-) lol..i dont know!
Old 05-07-2001, 06:16 PM
OG

Hood strut is the thing that holds up the hood and I desperately need a replacement.
Old 05-07-2001, 06:27 PM

The hood struts aren't that hard to take off. At least not on my 98. They do not pop out of the joint like they do on some other cars. That little nut shaped thing at the top and bottom of the strut is how it's held on - just unscrew that with a wrench and out it comes.

Finding the replacement is the hard part. Maybe you'll have better luck with the 96. For me, I could not find one compatible aftermarket strut because of that damned mounting on the top and bottom.

And like hell I was going to pay Nissan $86 dollars a side. For a support strut? I told them and to come on over with their sister and **** my ****!

What I ended up doing was cutting a piece of wood down and creating a support beam outa that. In the '98, there's a great space for it to rest between two fluid tanks on the passenger side (near the front, and I rest it against one of the indents on the inside of the hood. I gave it a good shake to test it, didn't fall.

I would do something like that, or build yourself a metal support rod with a dowel, a hinge, a ball joint socket and some high-durability glue if you wanna get real fancy.

Remember: the hood is not as heavy as you think it is. It doesn't take much to hold it up.

Shayyadin
Old 05-07-2001, 06:33 PM

I too have weak supports. What I do is just use a small vise grip and clamp it on to the supports. Works great and its cheap.
Old 05-07-2001, 06:38 PM

Strong Arm #4524

Originally posted by dbrody
How hard is it to replace the hood struts on a '96? I was going to try some of the after market ones from an auto parts store as mentioned in a few other posts. It appears I have an access space to reach the inside nut on the lower mounting but there is no access hole to reach the inside nut on the top mounting. Anyone ever done this?
Go to AutoZone or Advance Auto and ask for Strong Arm #4524. The price is about $16 each, and that's much less than the Nissan factory part. This is a new part number for Strong Arm, so don't be surprised if the counterman can't find it on his computer. Ask him to order them for you.

Installation is not difficult. Prop the hood open with a broomstick. Use a 13mm open end wrench to remove the upper (hood) and lower (inner fender) ball studs. The ball studs are permanently mounted to the sockets on each end of the factory lift. After both studs are backed out of their threaded holes, the lift comes off the car (with the ***** still in their sockets). The Strong Arm replacements ball studs are not attached to the replacement lifts. Thread the ball studs into the threaded holes on the hood and inner fender and tighten with a suitable wrench. Then simply "snap" each socket end of the replacement lift on the ball studs. Repeat the process for the other side.

Strong Arm hood lift supports are made in the USA by AVM Inc, part of Arvin Industries. See http://www.avminc.com/strongarm/
Old 05-07-2001, 07:06 PM

Re: Strong Arm #4524

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Go to AutoZone or Advance Auto and ask for Strong Arm #4524. The price is about $16 each, and that's much less than the Nissan factory part
yup, i just went to autozone today to return some spring compressors and walked buy the hood struts, the price ranges from $15-40+. i cant recommend which ones to use though.
Old 05-09-2001, 06:40 PM
dbrody

Re: Re: Strong Arm #4524

Question for Daniel Martin - what did you mean by 'threaded bosses' - is that sorta like a nut attached permanently inside the hood channel (I just want to make sure when I take the strut off I don't lose the nut inside the channel)? Thanks, Dave

Old 05-09-2001, 06:49 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

haha

Ya you have the part number but if you can find a store that has them then you are my god and i worship you, i've tried and tried and you can't find them anywere.
Old 05-10-2001, 04:52 AM

Threaded holes

Question for Daniel Martin - what did you mean by 'threaded bosses' - is that sorta like a nut attached permanently inside the hood channel (I just want to make sure when I take the strut off I don't lose the nut inside the channel)? Thanks, Dave
What I meant by "boss" is a raised or reinforced area. I'll change that from "threaded bosses" to "threaded holes" to avoid confusion.
Old 05-10-2001, 02:28 PM

I have also been to several different part stores and nobody carries the part, or any other brand, So now what? Anybody actually got in this part from a store? If so, where?
Old 05-15-2001, 03:49 AM
dbrody

Done! I purchased Strong Arm #4524 at Advance Auto (they called their warehouse and they were at the store the next morning at 9am. The price is about $16 each (no shipping) - Nissan dealer quoted $107 each. Very easy to install (about 15 minutes)!

These can also be ordered online from www.partsamerica.com.

Thanks to Daniel Martin and all the others for your help!

Old 05-15-2001, 04:33 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Be sure

Done! I purchased Strong Arm #4524 at Advance Auto (they called their warehouse and they were at the store the next morning at 9am. The price is about $16 each (no shipping) - Nissan dealer quoted $107 each. Very easy to install (about 15 minutes)!

These can also be ordered online from www.partsamerica.com.

Thanks to Daniel Martin and all the others for your help!
to let us know of your impressions.
Old 05-15-2001, 08:05 AM

Check prior posts on this subject from Daniel Martin. He found the part number for the hood lift struts that Advance Auto carries. I bought a pair and put them on a couple of months ago and was very satisfied. They were only about $15 each!

Originally posted by Shayyadin
The hood struts aren't that hard to take off. At least not on my 98. They do not pop out of the joint like they do on some other cars. That little nut shaped thing at the top and bottom of the strut is how it's held on - just unscrew that with a wrench and out it comes.

Finding the replacement is the hard part. Maybe you'll have better luck with the 96. For me, I could not find one compatible aftermarket strut because of that damned mounting on the top and bottom.

And like hell I was going to pay Nissan $86 dollars a side. For a support strut? I told them and to come on over with their sister and **** my ****!

What I ended up doing was cutting a piece of wood down and creating a support beam outa that. In the '98, there's a great space for it to rest between two fluid tanks on the passenger side (near the front, and I rest it against one of the indents on the inside of the hood. I gave it a good shake to test it, didn't fall.

I would do something like that, or build yourself a metal support rod with a dowel, a hinge, a ball joint socket and some high-durability glue if you wanna get real fancy.

Remember: the hood is not as heavy as you think it is. It doesn't take much to hold it up.

Shayyadin
Old 05-16-2001, 12:30 PM

I spoke to the customer service department at Strong Arm and they gave me the following information about stores and parts numbers in California:

NAPA Auto Parts: Part # 819-4737

Autozone: Part # 95784 ( Mighty Lift )

Kragen: part # 072-862 ( Steady Lift )

Car Quest: Part # 4524
Old 05-24-2001, 03:47 PM

I just purchased the hood struts from partsamerica.com. I ordered the part # 4524, But I just realized that there might be a difference between the right side and left side. Can anaybody tell me if there is a difference.
Old 05-24-2001, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by NUGE
I just purchased the hood struts from partsamerica.com. I ordered the part # 4524, But I just realized that there might be a difference between the right side and left side. Can anaybody tell me if there is a difference.
#4524 fits both sides of the hood.
Old 05-24-2001, 11:01 PM

I got the Strong Arm hood struts from Partsamerica.com..and I couldn't be more pleased with them. They are awesome. We'll see how they hold up over the next year. BTW - they are VERY easy to install. 10 minutes tops
Old 01-19-2002, 12:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You know my original hood struts lasted for almost 5 years, and then
they wouldn't hold the hood when it was real cold out, then the wouldn't hold the hood at all.

I priced Nissan Hood Struts and thought that they were too damn expensive.

I found Carquest Hood Struts (Part #4524) and the both sides together cost me around 45.00, and I thought I was really smart for finding them cheaper than Nissan's struts.

One year later (instead of five years I got with the originals) the damn struts won't hold the hood up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

White96MaxSE
Old 01-19-2002, 10:26 PM

Yay! An 8 month old thread is back up again

Most folks have had good luck with the cheaper alternative. I just got mine last summer from Partsamerica and so far, they work fine. Sorry yours didn't work
Old 01-20-2002, 06:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by White96MaxSE
You know my original hood struts lasted for almost 5 years, and then
they wouldn't hold the hood when it was real cold out, then the wouldn't hold the hood at all.

I priced Nissan Hood Struts and thought that they were too damn expensive.

I found Carquest Hood Struts (Part #4524) and the both sides together cost me around 45.00, and I thought I was really smart for finding them cheaper than Nissan's struts.

One year later (instead of five years I got with the originals) the damn struts won't hold the hood up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

White96MaxSE
But you did pay 1/5 the price.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:08 AM

I installed the same #4524 parts about 6 months ago. Don't remember where I bought. Don't remember either how strong the original hood strus were but I think the #4524 is not so strong. I have to lift the hood like 90% then I'm sure the hood will be supported and not fall down. However it is like that fron the day I put it in.
I only remember from online where I ordered, there were three #4524, the first one was cheapest so I ordered the second one that was priced the same as the last one, but wit diiferent brand... I thought "I get what I pay for", and maybe it still holds true, who knows the first, cheapest one will fail even sooner...
Old 01-20-2002, 07:09 AM

Your right about the old thread, but being a newbie I found it and I just thought I would add my experience with the aftermarket hood struts to assist someone else in evaluating what to do about it.

1/5 the price is right, and I guess I'm going to buy another pair and see if they last longer this time because I don't like any of the other alternatives discussed so far.

White96MaxSE
Old 02-22-2002, 07:32 PM

I just ordered a pair from partsamerica.com and I'll be receiving them next week... they're a real bargain compared to the dealer's prices... but I hope they will last a long time~!
Old 02-22-2002, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by kmax97
I just ordered a pair from partsamerica.com and I'll be receiving them next week... they're a real bargain compared to the dealer's prices... but I hope they will last a long time~!
I hope they last for you too!

I'm going to put another pair (this time from Midway Auto Supply) on this weekend. Wish me luck as well!

White96MaxSE
Old 02-22-2002, 10:40 PM

They should last a while, unless you use the hood to work your biceps

Get a gym membership instead!!!!
Old 02-28-2002, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by pocketrocket

They should last a while, unless you use the hood to work your biceps

Get a gym membership instead!!!!

I just replaced the hood struts today... it took 15 min. at the most. But I just realized something, you have to lift the hood almost 3/4 of the way in order for it to stay... Anyone else notice this ?
Old 02-28-2002, 08:52 PM

...I just realized something, you have to lift the hood almost 3/4 of the way in order for it to stay... Anyone else notice this ?
Yes I have to lift mine more than you do. The gas pressure is not enough.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:06 PM
I need a truck

i got the strong arm lift supports from strauss ($26 each) installation took 15 minutes ... damn that hood is heavy
Old 03-01-2002, 09:34 AM

It's heavier when you balance the hood on your head while putting in the new #4254 struts. Ouch
Old 03-01-2002, 07:19 PM

It's heavier when you balance the hood on your head while putting in the new #4254 struts. Ouch
lmao...
Old 03-02-2002, 11:45 AM

lmao...
I ain't kidding you, I did balance it on my head. Won't ever do it again
Old 03-04-2002, 08:47 AM
i SeE what you did therE

I ain't kidding you, I did balance it on my head. Won't ever do it again
the hood fell and hit my father on the head while we were tightening the belts...

i didn't know my dad knew those swear words.. i am in the NAVy.. and i can cuss pretty well, but damn.. dear old dad is a pro..!!!
Old 03-04-2002, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

the hood fell and hit my father on the head while we were tightening the belts...
Now, my hood-balancing act doesn't seem so painful (and dumb) anymore.

Note to self: stop whining about dumb things.
Old 03-16-2002, 09:46 AM

well, easy but not painless

I just got these Strong Arm hood struts also ($15 a piece), which seem to be very good replacements.

However, everyone here is talking about 10 mins to change 'em. Well, how the heck do you get the top nut off?? I've tried three different wrenches and pliers, but I can't get to it. Guess I'll have to finally get some needle nose pliers. Can't think of any other tool that can get to it. The metal hood moldings around the nut keep blocking my movement--and I'm afraid of bending the screw hole if I try to "pop off" the top socket. What did you guys use to get your nuts off? (um, that didn't sound right... )
Old 03-16-2002, 01:09 PM

permanent fix

I cut a lenght of 5/8" wooden dowel long enough to be a support rod. It fits into opening holes already on the hood and the metal support in front of the radiator. I keep it stored on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Plastic "tie wraps", like those used to keep electric wires in place, keep the homemade hood support secure when not being used. Not fancy, but it works perfectly when used with my original equipment hood supports which have started to fail in cold weather.