4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Want to fix my brakes.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 07:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Want to fix my brakes.....

My rear rotors are badly warped.
I would do the job myself but school, work, gym blah blah blah.
Called A shop who told me the rears on a nissan maxima are thin and are thus "unturnable", which means I would need new ones.
I also know that I have almost 50% left on my pads back there.
He combatted that by stating that because they are formed to my old rotors they would cause a pulsation and that new ones would be the best option.

I would think I would just be able to have the rears turned and slap them back on there with the existing pads and everything would be okay. Would some of you vets out there let me know what I can get away with here. I'm just looking for a little honesty. Seems when you call these places there first response is always the most expensive one.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the rotors are notoriously thin, but they can be cut, i had mine cut a year ago on my GLE.

i decided to spend a few hours on a saturday morning on my SE to install new brakes since there was no pad left. having no pad cut into the rotor unfortunately. the good news was that at Strauss Auto it cost $20 a piece for the rear rotors. stuck a bolt in the bolt hole and popped right out. should take like 15 minutes a side at most to do it youreslf. problaby half hour to an hour each side if you've never doen it before.

make time and do it youreslf, wake up on a saturdy morning like i did,
Old 03-05-2005, 08:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by mansurxk
the rotors are notoriously thin, but they can be cut, i had mine cut a year ago on my GLE.

i decided to spend a few hours on a saturday morning on my SE to install new brakes since there was no pad left. having no pad cut into the rotor unfortunately. the good news was that at Strauss Auto it cost $20 a piece for the rear rotors. stuck a bolt in the bolt hole and popped right out. should take like 15 minutes a side at most to do it youreslf. problaby half hour to an hour each side if you've never doen it before.

make time and do it youreslf, wake up on a saturdy morning like i did,
Isnt it challenging to get the ebrake cable off?

I've done fronts before, never rears.
Are you (or anyone) saying that rears are easier than fronts?
Old 03-05-2005, 08:24 AM

For me it was just like the front on a 96 GXE. I did all 4 in 90 minutes. If you got air tools it is a snap, otherwise just take your time. Plus doing it yourself you know it will be right, and you can take the money you save and have some fun.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:31 AM

for one if the rotor is warped no sense in turning it you still will get pulsation, and two you cant use the same pads they are formed to the old rotors. the rotors are easy to replace which you should do and get new pads. pads should run you 40 bucks for the back and 80 bucks for a pair of stock brembo replacement rotors.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by passEMonTHErite
Isnt it challenging to get the ebrake cable off?

I've done fronts before, never rears.
Are you (or anyone) saying that rears are easier than fronts?

You don't need to remove the ebrake cable to change brakes/rotors. They are both fairly easy, it's just that the rear caliper has a piston that rotates into position. You need needle-nosed pliers or a special tool to fix this.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by cam_honestiam
You don't need to remove the ebrake cable to change brakes/rotors. They are both fairly easy, it's just that the rear caliper has a piston that rotates into position. You need needle-nosed pliers or a special tool to fix this.
Well I dont know about you but I had to at least loosen the rear brake cable from the car. They were 2 small bolts and the brake cable was free.

A brake job is easy. A little bit of muscle, and some patience. Remember how you are taking it off. Then put it back on the same way.

As for using the old pads. It's not recommended, but it is doable if you really need to.

Look at the stickys on how to change brakes.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:32 PM
I need a truck

If you're changing your rotors it is pretty wise to change the pads also. The mechanic wasn't trying to sell you something. It's just that he was right.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=passEMonTHErite]
I would think I would just be able to have the rears turned and slap them back on there with the existing pads and everything would be okay.

No that will not be ok. Those pads have turned into the face of the rotor. You need new rotors and brakes. Or else your new/cut rotors will have the same problem again.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:25 PM

no shop would want to cut rotors when they can sell you a new one and make more money, cutting rotors take a lot of time. but your mechanic was right, a warped rotor is junk. you need to buy new rotors and brake pads. your old brake pads will transfer over any problems you may have had onto your new rotors. you should be able to find rotors and pads at autozone for less than a $100.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just replaced all 4 corners with new rotors and pads today. Just make sure that if you do it yourself, lube and add antiseize to every sliding and moving part.