4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Scratch resistant paint for dash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 06:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Scratch resistant paint for dash?

I'm thinking of painting my dash board to another color. Possible charcoal gray or black. here's picture of what it looks like. Picture taken from a cardomain member.

Here's a picture of how I want my dash look

Do anyone know any scratch resistant paint? I want something that's more durable and can withstand a simplel scratch. I've heard about the wheel paint made by duplicolor. Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 07:06 AM

I think the best way is to find somebody that is parting out the center console area and just swap it.

Not sure if this is correct but I thought the woodgrain parts is just stick ons? Maybe you can just pull them off?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:54 AM

hmm, I never knew is possible. I'll check it later on.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:53 AM

are u trying to paint the entire dash or just the woodgrain area/climate control?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by pavelsmax
are u trying to paint the entire dash or just the woodgrain area/climate control?

Just the wooden grain part of it.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Black Maxima

Just get some factory black pieces. If you paint the woodgrain it won't match the trim around the clock and AC. The plastic is like a faded black.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:18 PM

hey i re-painted my whole dash, actually i painted every interior piece over but the seats. i bought like 10 cans of flat black spray paint from home depot for liek 1.96 a can and i bought like 5 bottles of FLAT clear coat. my car interior looks insane now, much better then the doody brown nastyness.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by exit10
hey i re-painted my whole dash, actually i painted every interior piece over but the seats. i bought like 10 cans of flat black spray paint from home depot for liek 1.96 a can and i bought like 5 bottles of FLAT clear coat. my car interior looks insane now, much better then the doody brown nastyness.

Any pictures of your art work?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:30 PM

yes, pictures of that please!

I'm halfway through painting my dash right now. I'll tell you what I have learned so far: The duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint is good, but not as good as krylon paints. the krylon stuff seems to be a lot more scratch resistant (i've done some testing). krylon makes a paint called "fusion" that is meant to bond to plastics, but i could only find it in glossy colors. it works well, but i didn't want glossy. i got the krylon interior/exterior spray paint in a semi-gloss and that has been the best paint i've found. it dries fast and smooth with no runs and looks good. i'm just waiting for more warm days that i have free to do the rest of it. i'm done with the center console, the passenger airbag cover, the knee bolster on the driver's side, the steering column, various vent pieces, and the glove box. now it's just time for the big part.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by bullfrog
yes, pictures of that please!

I'm halfway through painting my dash right now. I'll tell you what I have learned so far: The duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint is good, but not as good as krylon paints. the krylon stuff seems to be a lot more scratch resistant (i've done some testing). krylon makes a paint called "fusion" that is meant to bond to plastics, but i could only find it in glossy colors. it works well, but i didn't want glossy. i got the krylon interior/exterior spray paint in a semi-gloss and that has been the best paint i've found. it dries fast and smooth with no runs and looks good. i'm just waiting for more warm days that i have free to do the rest of it. i'm done with the center console, the passenger airbag cover, the knee bolster on the driver's side, the steering column, various vent pieces, and the glove box. now it's just time for the big part.

Thanks for your info. I've checked the Krylon website. The type of dashboard finish I want is charcoal or black. I think Krylon have the brand i'm looking for.