4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alternator going?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 06:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Alternator going?

I've got a bunch of problems with my new 99 GLE. the first is the hard shifting (addressed in another post). . .second is the starter (takes a few seconds to turn over, then makes a rubbing noise for a few more seconds before acting normal) and the THIRD (subject of this post) is a noise that i didn't notice before. It kind of hums. Now, i'm not good at describing noises (think of the guy in the mechanic's shop making noises with his mouth) but it's a hum not unlike when your power steering needs fluid and you're turning the wheel. It's not that loud, and it's a little higher in pitch (although not a squeel). Friday it increased with RPMs, and today i didn not notice it. (noticed the noise when i started it, but i think it was less, and i couldn't hear it while driving)

I had the car once overed by my truested mechanic on wednesday, and he didn't mention anything major, so i have to assume it happened between wednesday and friday.

Weird right?

-James
Old 01-22-2005, 08:57 PM

anybody have any idea on this? it doesn't sound like a belt squealing. . .it sounds more like something is being overworked. that's why i'm thinking maybe it's the alternator.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:02 PM

If there is a slow turnover, it could be the alternator, especially you feel that there's a strain when starting. I'm assuming that you have a good battery.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:22 AM

Just to rule it out, check the belt retnetioner pulley. I just had to replace mine. Mine was making a sorta whirring noise and you could see it moving sideways a bit too as it was spinning. You could also feel the roughness of it if you touched the adjuster bolt (DO NOT put fingers anywhere near the spinning wheel or you WILL lose your finger). Nissan charge quiet a bit for this part new (NZ$260 I was quoted), you can get it alot cheaper from a wreckers (just make sure it's got relatively low mileage), I got mine for NZ$60.

In case you're not sure what it is, its that smallish shiney pulley you can see sitting on top of one of the belts.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:11 AM

I replaced my alternator last week ($260 including core + $15 belt) and there was some kind of humming noise as it wore out - but I don't know if we speak of the same noise. The belt had plenty of wear and tear on it, but it wasn't the cause of failure. What happened in my case was that one day the alternator simply crapped out as I was driving down the E-way.... the battery light and brake light on the dashboard lit up, and the alt was no longer charging the battery.

EDIT: If it proves to be your alternator, check the recall at an online recall database. It covered Maximas manufactured between early 97 and early 98, so there's a slight chance your 99 could be covered (depending on when it was built).
Old 01-23-2005, 07:03 AM

Sounds like it could be anything. I get a squealing noise whenever it rains or is humid and the car first starts up. FYI I had my alternator replaced under recall but it never gave me any problems or noises. I too have that starter noise but this would be the third winter with it, so I'm not that concerned. Every other car I've had has given warnings before starter motor failure, so I hope this one is the same.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:35 AM
JoeB

Make sure your belt isn't to tight as that will cause the bearings in your alt to make noise. Running it with a tight belt will kill your alt bearings.