4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starting problem..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 06:52 PM

Starting problem..?

i didnt pull any codes, but you know the deal, almost everyday in the morning or if the car has been standing long enough i have to cold start it,(rev it up to start) so i went to Shell just to see what was going on they said theres a problem with the MAF, i dont know how serious this is or how costly it will be someone help?
Old 01-01-2005, 06:57 PM

go get two dollars and get some throttle body cleaner. sam shiet happened to me. it gave me better idle when the motor is cold and better throttle response.clean around the tb the butterfly plate and behind the butterfly. check out mtorrvate.ca
Old 01-05-2005, 12:34 AM

I think I'm having the same problem. When I have to cold start the car, I have to slightly pump the gas pedal to get the engine to continue run. Otherwise, the engine will just die. After I get it started it idles and revs just fine and drives just fine. Also, if I warm start it, I don't have to press the gas at all.

I wouldn't think this is related to the MAF.

I think it might be the throttle body, idle air control, etc.

Let me know if cleaning the throttle body did the job.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:26 AM

Cleaning the idle air control valve will fix that. I just did this the other day.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by cyjad
I think I'm having the same problem. When I have to cold start the car, I have to slightly pump the gas pedal to get the engine to continue run. Otherwise, the engine will just die. After I get it started it idles and revs just fine and drives just fine. Also, if I warm start it, I don't have to press the gas at all.

I wouldn't think this is related to the MAF.

I think it might be the throttle body, idle air control, etc.

Let me know if cleaning the throttle body did the job.
WoW!!!!! thats exactly what is going on with my car, the other day it threw code 0103 engine coolant temperature sensor, I took it down to the shop but they said the sensor was working fine, then after that my car started dying on cold start unless reving the engine till it gets warm. As we speak my car is in the shop to diagnose problem and to fix it. I will let you know what they come up with!
Old 01-05-2005, 11:31 PM

Well, I did a cleaning of the throttle body and I think that fixed the problem for now. The car started right up with having to give any additional gas. yipee.

Does anyone know how that crap builds up right in front of and around the butterfly in the throttle body? I thought that only clean filtered air is flowing into the throttle body. So, where does that black, carbon-like stuff come from?

The black gunk I was cleaning was immediately upstream of the butterfly.

Isn't the throttle body upstream of the pcv valve, the idle air control valve, and everything else that might introduce unclean air into the intake system? The only things upstream of the throttle body is the MAF, and air filter, right?

just curious.

anyone?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:42 PM

hmm, not what im having....
My car, i go to crank it and nothing, like theres a dead battery, but it isnt, then i try it a couple more times and it finally starts....

I replaced the alternator, i think maybe the belts too tight... i dunno
Old 01-05-2005, 11:44 PM

Yea seriously clean your throttle body... if not check your crank and cam sensors, if they are dirty they will cause your car to have hard starting.

Yes cyjad, the only thing upstream of the TB is the midpipe/resonator then MAF