4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Window Defrosters

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 08:51 AM

Window Defrosters

Now that it's starting to get really cold, i'll be driving along with my window defroster at full tilt and my rear drivers side window will not defrost. Sometimes my drivers side won't defrost either. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone and if there is anything i can do to fix it. Also, my rear window defroster takes a while to clear the back window and if anyone knows about that either, it would be great. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:53 AM
dot dot dot ...

The front and rear defrosters are exactly for that, the front and rear, not the sides.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:28 AM

I know you must need them in ottowa, winters were very cold and snowy in toronto. if you have any extra few minutes you could use a scrapper for the sides of your windows and let the defrosters do the rest for your front and rear.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are you asking about ice/frost on the driver's side windows, or condensation on them? If you're talking about condensation (side windows being fogged up), that's all related to body heat colliding with the cold outdoor air - not much to do about that except to occassionally roll down the window to help clear it. Losing weight helps (hehehehe), but I'm a skinny bastard and it still fogs up on me. Running the climate control on front defroster or front defroster/legs blows some air on the front door windows, but not enough to clear them entirely.

As for the rear defroster taking a while - so does mine. Especially if the window has visible ice built up on it. I think it does a pretty good job, but I wish it would clear the ENTIRE rear window. In addition to MDeezy's advice, scraping the front and rear windows a bit helps the defrosters work better and quicker. You don't need to give 100%, but just break the ice up enough that its not a solid mass and has some thin/clear patches.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:20 PM

My '96 has the driver's side mirror heated (I think it was part of an optional package Nissan installed, like a cold weather package). Is the passenger side mirror supposed to heat as well?

If not, has anyone found a way to heat it? The heater mirror I have works GREAT! Even steams away the rain when its raining out so it keeps the mirror clear! I want the passenger side mirror heated bad!

Thanks

Mike
Old 12-18-2004, 04:28 PM
I need a truck

The windows are fogged up because of the change in temp. So if it's really cold out, blow the defroster with the thermostat set on cold. That should work.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Conrad283
The windows are fogged up because of the change in temp. So if it's really cold out, blow the defroster with the thermostat set on cold. That should work.

Hehehehe, assuming you don't want to be very warm for the next few months
Old 12-18-2004, 08:20 PM

I read somewhere that putting shaving cream on a window will keep it from fogging up, but who wants shaving cream all over there window, unless you figured out a way to mix it with windex. I think I read it in maxim or stuff magazine.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:53 PM

just point the vent that is on the driver's side up and to the left towards the window helps me a lot and i only need the middle vents to keep me warm
Old 12-19-2004, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by crashmanmike
My '96 has the driver's side mirror heated (I think it was part of an optional package Nissan installed, like a cold weather package). Is the passenger side mirror supposed to heat as well?

If not, has anyone found a way to heat it? The heater mirror I have works GREAT! Even steams away the rain when its raining out so it keeps the mirror clear! I want the passenger side mirror heated bad!

Thanks

Mike
Ya, both my mirrors are heated, it's an awesome little feature.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by l3ftonm3
I read somewhere that putting shaving cream on a window will keep it from fogging up, but who wants shaving cream all over there window, unless you figured out a way to mix it with windex. I think I read it in maxim or stuff magazine.

i wonder who the first person was who thought "hey, let me try to put shaving cream on my windows to see if it cures fogged-up windows?"