4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

WTF? Smoke from Engine.... Thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WTF? Smoke from Engine.... Thermostat?

Ok so on top of everything else (need an ignition coil, knock sensors, and shocks and struts) Yesterday i notice alil smoke coming from engine bay on startup... i thought it was my belts smoking from being to tight so i loosened them... it wasn't...

Today i notice it smells like coolant burning, but keep in mind i just got my water pump replaced by a shop 4 weeks ago... Today it gets much worse also and smoke is billowing from the engine bay... I can't locate where its coming from but i believe its either the radiator (which i replaced 3 weeks ago) or from the water pump/ thermostat area... I also notice a whirring sound at idle like i'm supercharged or something (and i'm not lol).

The smoke gets bad, and then goes away for awhile and gets bad again on and off.... I tried adding more coolant but it was pretty full.. I'm thinkin maybe its my theromstat? But the engine isn't overheating at all, and i figured if theromstat was bad it woudl overheat? I'm lost WTF is going on anyone with any ideas? Also when i just went to add coolant 5 minutes ago, i just came from driving, and i didn't let the car cool off, when i opened the radiator coolant came flying out underpressure sending the radiator cap 3 feet away and getting coolant (which wasn't actually very hot at all, just warm) all over me... So i'm really confused... my coolants only warm but my radiator is HOT to the touch. I checked all my coolant hoses and they are all pretty hot so the coolant is definitely moving around.... I'm totally confused....
Old 12-05-2004, 02:31 PM

i don't really have any info to help you but just a word of advice. When you take that coolent cap off (when it could be hot) use a rag so it will block any preasurized coolent. Also only undo it half way, then it won't blow off under preasure.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:41 PM

Possibly a small leak dripping onto the engine and burning giving off the smell. As for the whirling sound maybe a pulley going bad? My idler whistled and whined just before it went out. I'd check the crank, alt, compressor and ps pulley with the radiator fans off and see if you can pinpoint the smoke.

Also if you just had you wp replaced i would consult the shop and say you smell burning coolant they may look at it for free or cheap since its related to the pump.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:55 PM

i had a defective alternator almost catch fire it sounded like the bottom end was gone it just melted the bearing take the belt off and see if its related to the belt or the chain
Old 07-18-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Maxnub
Possibly a small leak dripping onto the engine and burning giving off the smell. As for the whirling sound maybe a pulley going bad? My idler whistled and whined just before it went out. I'd check the crank, alt, compressor and ps pulley with the radiator fans off and see if you can pinpoint the smoke.

Also if you just had you wp replaced i would consult the shop and say you smell burning coolant they may look at it for free or cheap since its related to the pump.
Did you know you've replied to a very very old thread?

Anyways, the supercharger whine is more likely due to a bad AC compressor clutch/pulley.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Sexier Than Simpson

I wonder if the noobs who need to get 15 posts could post nonsense in some more recent threads. I think he probably fixed this issue or might have sold the car by now