4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone want to tell me what I grounded?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 12:28 PM

Anyone want to tell me what I grounded?

I installed the grounding kit last night, and I was planning on doing the throttle body, both headlights, and the alternator. The alternator was really hard to get to, and I didn't see any appropriate bolts, so I picked this other ground that I found. Not sure what it is though, just curious as to what I grounded. Thanks.

whoops pictures may be important.

Old 11-10-2004, 12:44 PM

Thats funny. Im in my drive way right now installing the ground kit(not in drive way right now). What did you do for your pos connection to the battery terminal? Did you unhook all of the factory stuff and re do it on the new mounting piece? I have an optima and was thinking about just using the front terminal to mount the ground kit there. Did you notice any diff?
_Brandon
Old 11-10-2004, 12:52 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

left screw has many gorunds in one, the right screw has one wire going to the alternator.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:55 PM

so I did ground the alternator after all?
Old 11-10-2004, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by vortechpower
Thats funny. Im in my drive way right now installing the ground kit(not in drive way right now). What did you do for your pos connection to the battery terminal? Did you unhook all of the factory stuff and re do it on the new mounting piece? I have an optima and was thinking about just using the front terminal to mount the ground kit there. Did you notice any diff?
_Brandon
Nope, I just used one of the ground wires coming out from the distribution block and put it on the bolt on the neg. battery terminal.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:10 PM
no more maxima...

How is the alternator hard to ground? I grounded my alternator on the ground tab that I found very easy to access:

Old 11-10-2004, 02:29 PM

what's the purpose of this grounding kit?
Old 11-10-2004, 04:09 PM

to be grounded.. it fixed my hesitation at red line in 1st gear, thats good enough for me
Old 11-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Kingrukus, that tab is easy to break that's why it's tricky. We tried to ground it on a friend's 98 but the tab kept stretching and it was hard to loosen it.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

my99maxisnice, you did ground the alt. see the pic kingrukus posted? thats the other end of the wire you grounded to.

I personally grounded directly to the alternator. there is a bolt to do it, but its hard to get to.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
Kingrukus, that tab is easy to break that's why it's tricky. We tried to ground it on a friend's 98 but the tab kept stretching and it was hard to loosen it.
That's what I was about to say, I just tried it, and it's a b!tch. I guess the old one will do.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:54 PM

You guys actually think that Nissan didn't engineer their grounding system well enough...? Especially to the point to where it would actually hurt the cars performance... OUCH MY BRAIN! Its just not possible! I don't understand the point of this kit. It sounds like a waste of time and money to me. As far as it fixing your hesitation at redline, the kit probably acted as a bandade, try checking and cleaning your stock battery grounds and the ground on the block of the motor, look for corrosion, etc... I could see if you had some kind of electronic performace parts that drew more amperage then mabey it would help.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:49 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by jm5464
You guys actually think that Nissan didn't engineer their grounding system well enough...? Especially to the point to where it would actually hurt the cars performance... OUCH MY BRAIN! Its just not possible! I don't understand the point of this kit. It sounds like a waste of time and money to me. As far as it fixing your hesitation at redline, the kit probably acted as a bandade, try checking and cleaning your stock battery grounds and the ground on the block of the motor, look for corrosion, etc... I could see if you had some kind of electronic performace parts that drew more amperage then mabey it would help.

Stock grounds may be good, but upgrading the main battery ground, alternator ground and the wire that runs between the alternator to the positive terminal on the battery does help the charging system when having high current accessories on the vehicle.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by kingrukus
Stock grounds may be good, but upgrading the main battery ground, alternator ground and the wire that runs between the alternator to the positive terminal on the battery does help the charging system when having high current accessories on the vehicle.
Yes, I agree with you. But, as you said you must upgrade the positive wire too, in order for it to be effective and this is only necessary if you are running high current accessories such as large amplifiers. There for the ground kit alone will have little improvement on the charging system. My point was that it will not improve performance of the vehicle, unless you have something wrong with your stock ground system. Just one of those things I don't understand why someone would would waste time or money on because it basically gives you no return.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:06 AM

Anyone tell me how to get my sig to appear at the bottom of my posts?
and my avatar option to use an avatar cannot be changed the dot wont go away when i click on it wtf?
i might look into a ground kit or fabricate one soon.
but can anyone tell me whats going on?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:24 AM
我爱台湾

Hey can one of you guys do a write up on the grounding points you used for the 4th Gen's? I will be doing mine tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
Anyone tell me how to get my sig to appear at the bottom of my posts?
and my avatar option to use an avatar cannot be changed the dot wont go away when i click on it wtf?
i might look into a ground kit or fabricate one soon.
but can anyone tell me whats going on?
make sure its in that [img] thing, o btw if u want a avatar itll cost u 20 bux. yo do u need an optima battery for a grounding kit? it also helps your idle
Old 11-11-2004, 07:32 AM

go to motorvate.ca
Old 11-11-2004, 07:35 AM
UCF Lexus

Jesus Ryan look what you did......
Old 11-11-2004, 09:33 AM

I know, I'm causing all kinds of damn commotion. all because I can't do any research myself.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:00 AM
UCF Lexus

No, now everytime you get out of your car, and you close the door...it's gona shock the hell out of you.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:22 AM
VQ Disciple

Originally Posted by Soul Fly
No, now everytime you get out of your car, and you close the door...it's gona shock the hell out of you.

LOL
Old 11-11-2004, 12:47 PM

No it won't, I put a no-shock switch on my dash. I thought ahead.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:33 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

ground kits work i have read many articles, one with a brand new 350z that gained HP and TQ on the dyno. And yes Nissan did a shiet job on the grounds. They paint the car, then stick a screw in the hole. Now think about that one. Paint is NOT a conductor. I rest my case.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
ground kits work i have read many articles, one with a brand new 350z that gained HP and TQ on the dyno. And yes Nissan did a shiet job on the grounds. They paint the car, then stick a screw in the hole. Now think about that one. Paint is NOT a conductor. I rest my case.
If you have seen proof on a dyno test with a STOCK CAR I can't argue with you, but, All car companies paint where the bolt is. The threads and the bolt act as the conductor.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jm5464

maybe Nissan did. Tho, I'm too lazy to clean all contact points with a wire brush, and rather have some new shiny copper contacts and wire touching everthing. Corrosion.

I helped out some dimming lights problemo's with my $15 pep boys job (DIY grounding).