4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

H&R Sport Spring > Tein H-Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

H&R Sport Spring > Tein H-Tech?

I know H&R’s are known as the most comfortable ride aftermarket spring.

But how exactly does Tein H-Tech compare to these? Are H-Tech’s just a cheaper alternative to those who don’t want the slammed look?

Would it be fair to say that Tein-H Techs would out corner H&R’s?

Or would it be just all in my head?

Trying to decide don’t know which route to go!

Old 10-08-2004, 11:40 AM

go with tein's
Old 10-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

H&R and Eibach are the best springs you can put on your car.
Lower isn't always better.
Looks and performance are two different things.

Keep that in mind and chose your springs according to what you want.

Your struts play a huge role in ride comfort, control and handling.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
H&R and Eibach are the best springs you can put on your car.
Lower isn't always better.
Looks and performance are two different things.

Keep that in mind and chose your springs according to what you want.

Your struts play a huge role in ride comfort, control and handling.
Guess H&R's are > Tein H!

No one to say any different!
Old 10-08-2004, 01:50 PM

I think the H Techs handle slightly better than the H&Rs but the H&Rs have a slightly more comfortable ride.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Give me a Bud Light Holmes

h&r are the most comfortable ride in the world. it is right there with stock. but sags in the rear
Old 10-08-2004, 03:51 PM

My H-Techs/Illuminas are great and the ride is fantastic.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by sagamax
h&r are the most comfortable ride in the world. it is right there with stock. but sags in the rear
Curious, are your H&R's a bit older? I often read here, that H&R has corrected the sag problem in the rear, however I do not know what the marking or production date differences are between old and new. I wish to buy some H&R's, but do not want the rear to sag as a raked look is what I prefer. Any ideas or help?
Old 10-08-2004, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by badmaxx
Curious, are your H&R's a bit older? I often read here, that H&R has corrected the sag problem in the rear, however I do not know what the marking or production date differences are between old and new. I wish to buy some H&R's, but do not want the rear to sag as a raked look is what I prefer. Any ideas or help?
i actually dont have h&r. my friend (xima96se) has them. he purchased them used so im am guessing they are the older ones if h&r did fix the sag problem. his rear with his system is lower than my rear with my system that weighs about 50lbs more that his system and i am on sprints.

here is a pic of his car. sorry i dont have a good pic of his rear
Old 10-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My H&R's don't sag in the rear.

But 50+ pounds of audio equiptment in the trunk will definatly weigh things down. Anybody ever hear of something called gravity?

H&R's sit perfectly even, raked slightly twards the front when the gas tank is empty.
(gravity 101)
Old 10-08-2004, 04:54 PM

I'm wrestling with this question right now. I'm leaning towards the H&R's because I do 70% highway driving. Smoothness of the ride with better cornering than stock is the ticket for me. Guess I'll have to buy some new H&R's thou. Do you need to buy shorter strut boots when you go with H&R's or can you keep your old ones?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by sagamax
h&r are the most comfortable ride in the world. it is right there with stock.
No it isn't.

It is noticably firmer than OEM, body roll is all but eliminated in most turns.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:11 PM

i have H&Rs and its definilty a great ride, and 100x better then stock, the only advice i give you is to choose you shocks wisely....tokico luminas or kyb agx.....both are adjustable so u can choose firmness or softness...just incase you dont know this already
Old 10-09-2004, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
No it isn't.

It is noticably firmer than OEM, body roll is all but eliminated in most turns.
it is firmer than oem but it is impressivly smooth over bumps. maybe i am biased because i am comparing my friends h&rs to my sprints. but it is really close to oem. if i didnt want to slammed look and still wanted to eliminate body roll i would definatly go with h&r
Old 10-09-2004, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
My H&R's don't sag in the rear.

But 50+ pounds of audio equiptment in the trunk will definatly weigh things down. Anybody ever hear of something called gravity?

H&R's sit perfectly even, raked slightly twards the front when the gas tank is empty.
(gravity 101)
actually they do sag even with nothing in the trunk and an empty tank of gas.

i found a pic of when we just finished installin the struts and springs. you can see the rear is still a bit lower than in the front and the wheel gaps are smaller in the rears as well.

Old 10-09-2004, 01:39 PM

still not sure if there was a newer version of H&R springs?

Its really unclear!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 01:49 PM

Best review ever by phenryiv1

Originally Posted by phenryiv1

Okay, the after-a-trip-to-work report:

This suspension is what I really wanted out of my I30 from the get-go. I have a very tight, controlled ride that is free of harshness or bounce. Everything feels solid and connected, and the struts and springs work well together. Highway driving feels almost-stock, and in-town driving features reduced body roll, better control in turns, and a sportier overall feel, all while maintaining a smooth ride over potholes and speed bumps.

These are the H-Techs with KYB AGX in the front (setting 3) and Tokico Illuminas in the rear (stiffest setting).

Comparison to past suspensions:
To help smooth out the firmness of the Intrax springs in the rear, I had already pulled the rear KYB AGX struts in favor of the Tokico Illuminas ($160 shipped from Southwest Autoworks). This really helped to smooth out the ride in the rear, but I wanted something a little bit more commute-friendly for my 300+ miles per week in the DC Metro area. They looked great, but I went with function over form and switched to the Tein springs.

On the Intrax, the ride was a bit firm when compared to that on my Tokico HP struts and H&R springs on the Maxima. On 16” low-profile tires the ride was less than forgiving, but on 15” tires they feel pretty good, planting the car to the road and reducing body roll to almost nothing. It took some time to get used to the ride, but I loved the stance and handling on the Intrax. Actually, the front was very nice, but the rear was a bit harsh. The Illuminas in the rear definitely helped, but it was still not where I wanted for it to be for all of the driving that I do. Hopefully, the new springs will help smooth things over.

The H&Rs, by contrast, were on Tokico HP struts, and were the first-release of the H&R. Newer ones seem to sit a bit lower in the front than do the older ones. The H&Rs rode almost exactly like stock, so much so that my wife appreciated the handling when she drove the car but felt no difference in the ride on the highway or around town. I really liked the H&Rs, but wanted something a bit lower in the front. The newest H&Rs are supposedly lower, but I did not have $200 to spend on them new, and I could not find any used ones that I could be sure were the new style. The Teins, by contrast, had about 4000 miles on them and were reasonably priced.

Please use the following scale for comparison:
For handling, 10 is Sports-sedan like (best) and 1 is Stock (we will call that "worst," even though it is not that bad). For ride/comfort, we will say that 1 is stiff and harsh (worst) and 10 is GLE/GXE stock (comfortable). This makes stock SE suspension a "9" for ride/comfort.

The ride on the Tein AGX/Illuminas is an 8. The handling is a 6.5.
The ride on the Intrax AGX/Illuminas is a 5.5. The handling is a 7.5.
The ride on the Intrax ALL-AGX is a 4.5. The handling is a 7.5.
The ride on the H&R Tokico HP is an 8.5. The handling is a 6.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:04 PM

i HAVE H-techs

Originally Posted by Dasyce
still not sure if there was a newer version of H&R springs?

Its really unclear!!!

I have H-techs/GR2s on my 96 se. I love the ride and handling. no more damn floating as with stock setup. I've begin to think that its not low enough though. But I think thats its a great improvement over stock and I definitley recomnded them.

Marc
Old 10-09-2004, 05:46 PM

I'm on H-techs and GR2's as well. Handles much better than stock and the ride is still pretty soft (compared to other aftermarket spring setups).

It drops the car nicely, too. Drops it a little more in the front than the rear for a nice stance. Definitely no sagging in the rear, either.

Good purchase for the money. I'd trust the Tein or the H&R. The Tein was less money, so I went with those and have been very satisfied.