4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Daniel B. Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 07:19 PM

Why does my positive terminal keep on getting a sheet load of corrosion on it. Takes only about 2 weeks before it starts forming. Today my wife said NOTHING electrical worked and the corrosion was so bad that it almost ate through the metal. I,ll be buying a new terminal or maybe even a new wire depending on what I come up with. Will those green and red felt washers do any good or am I up against something more? TYIA.

p.s. since you "live in a maxima" what happened to your house?!?!?! hehe.
Old 04-08-2001, 08:35 PM

You don't have a very good connection. Remove the battery cable and clean the post on the battery and inside the connector on the cable with a wire brush or sand paper. Put a light coating of grease on the post and put the cable back on and tighten it down well.
Old 04-08-2001, 08:50 PM

Clean it and grease it

Originally posted by brubenstein
You don't have a very good connection. Remove the battery cable and clean the post on the battery and inside the connector on the cable with a wire brush or sand paper. Put a light coating of grease on the post and put the cable back on and tighten it down well.
I concur with everything suggested by Mr. Rubenstein. I am even more liberal with the grease. I rub a thin coat of grease over the entire clamp and post. I've tried drugstore petroleum jelly and ordinary chassis grease. The results were about the same.

Check the electrolyte level in your battery and replenish as required. If it was very low you might have a defective voltage regulator which is overcharging your battery. Many auto parts stores offer a no-cost charging system test. This is done with an electronic tester and takes only two minutes.
Old 04-09-2001, 02:54 PM

Re: Clean it and grease it

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
I concur with everything suggested by Mr. Rubenstein. I am even more liberal with the grease. I rub a thin coat of grease over the entire clamp and post. I've tried drugstore petroleum jelly and ordinary chassis grease. The results were about the same.

Check the electrolyte level in your battery and replenish as required. If it was very low you might have a defective voltage regulator which is overcharging your battery. Many auto parts stores offer a no-cost charging system test. This is done with an electronic tester and takes only two minutes.
When my wife looked at the battery cable she said "it must be leaking". I thought to myself "whatever". When I took off the cable terminal, I looked to see if there was any play in the terminal itself. There was play in it and I could see a spot where when moving the terminal, you could see evidence of a crack and a liquid looking substance coming from the area. What do you think? Is it possible this corrosion is from that? I never had this amount before the battery was changed but now I have alot. TYIA!
Old 04-10-2001, 06:08 AM

Bingo!

Originally posted by dch95
... There was play in it and I could see a spot where when moving the terminal, you could see evidence of a crack and a liquid looking substance coming from the area. What do you think? Is it possible this corrosion is from that? ...
Bingo! That's the root cause of your corrosion problem. Best option: replace the battery. Second best: seal the crevice with some kind of flexible sealant such as RTV caulk.
Old 04-11-2001, 04:11 PM

Re: Bingo!

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Bingo! That's the root cause of your corrosion problem. Best option: replace the battery. Second best: seal the crevice with some kind of flexible sealant such as RTV caulk.
You are about the 4th person who has told me that. Thanks for the help and I seal it this weekend.