4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OBDII code scanner/sensor monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Kevlo for President

****, just hack hte connector of and use your own butt connectors. All you need is a wireing diagram of the OBD-II port and how it goes to the comp.(Serial, parallel, USB)
Old 09-02-2004, 04:51 PM
Hooooooonda.....

NEAL, the problem with what you described is that our ECU is such a dog that you'd probably be able to pull live data every few seconds not streaming.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
NEAL, the problem with what you described is that our ECU is such a dog that you'd probably be able to pull live data every few seconds not streaming.
Gotta agree with that. For just a few sensors the Auterra works well. But throwing a couple A/F's, timing, and front O2's at it buries it on the A32. As posted, it only grabs like a sample every second or two. I got mine and a brand new Handspring PDA for like $325 complete w cables. It's good but not great.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Hence the 2ND part of my question. The hotsync is available. But is the obdII and adaptor readily available. If yes, then I would only need someone to burn me a cd. If not, then ebay here I come.

Let's make a thread for this in OT or something since it is kinda piracy?
Anyone willing to help us make some "hacked" kits?

I have an old m105 :>
Old 09-03-2004, 04:34 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Yeah, somebody bust open that little black box and see what is in there. They claim its an OBD-II converter. BS. BTW, how is this piracy? We aren't selling information. We could just say that we built it ourselves.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:09 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43989

How does that look. I think it would be sweet to monitor everything going on inside there.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:03 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I don't buy off ebay. But, be my guest. It looks kinda iffy to me.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm interested in getting the auterra. Does our Maxima support the command equivalance ratio data parameter?

http://www.auterraweb.com/auterra/supsen.html

Commanded Equivalence Ratio – fuel systems that use conventional oxygen sensor displays the commanded open loop equivalence ratio while the system is in open loop. Should report 100% when in closed loop fuel. To obtain the actual air/fuel ratio being commanded, multiply the stoichiometric A/F ratio by the equivalence ratio. For example, gasoline, stoichiometric is 14.64:1 ratio. If the fuel control system was command an equivalence ratio of 0.95, the commanded A/F ratio to the engine would be 14.64 * 0.95 = 13.9 A/F.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by sean05
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43989

How does that look. I think it would be sweet to monitor everything going on inside there.
I already have a Vaio, so is that pretty much all I need?

Andrei
Old 09-05-2004, 09:19 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Yeah but the one SEAN posted looks really cheap.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:21 PM

Yeah but the one SEAN posted looks really cheap.
Please direct me to the one you think that I should buy, thank you for your help.

Andrei
Old 09-06-2004, 05:33 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by VeeQueue
I'm interested in getting the auterra. Does our Maxima support the command equivalance ratio data parameter?
http://www.auterraweb.com/auterra/supsen.html
I haven't seen that on my '96 ECU. Mabye the '99's or later have it.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:33 PM

Hey guys, sorry to bump a month old thread but I've been searching everywhere for a similar setup but something that will read OBDI also. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced product? Auterra won't work. I found only one but it's $480 shipped since it's near Consult's ability to read/output realtime sensor values/data, etc....I want to be able to tell if my MAF's voltage is wrong, etc....not just read codes.
Sorry again, but no one else seems to know...

Jeremy
Old 10-04-2004, 03:39 PM
I'm needing a caw

OBDI for Nissan is a large pain. Actually for all OBDI it's a pain. Because every maker has their own codes and equipment to read it. You have to go to the dealer or buy an expensive Nissan Consult tool. I've seen the handhelds on ebay for like $1,000+. Good luck finding one and finding one with the right year/model cards Techdom or the MDM100 might work?? Which one did you find? Snap On or something?

Originally Posted by niceguy
Hey guys, sorry to bump a month old thread but I've been searching everywhere for a similar setup but something that will read OBDI also. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced product? Auterra won't work. I found only one but it's $480 shipped since it's near Consult's ability to read/output realtime sensor values/data, etc....I want to be able to tell if my MAF's voltage is wrong, etc....not just read codes.

Sorry again, but no one else seems to know...

Jeremy
Old 10-04-2004, 03:46 PM
acj

We have the Snap-On MT2500 in our shop. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to use it on the Max, but it seems to work really well. However, it is a little pricey... http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_d...re&dir=catalog
Old 10-04-2004, 03:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yeow! haha.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:57 PM

Alright Seinfeld!!(j/k).....'A little pricey'?? Wow, where do you work? You guys must use Armani for uniforms and silk hankies for rags, right??? (ha,ha!)

Seriously, that's more than my '93 Alty is even worth I'm sure...Jeff, I'll have to find the link, I saved it here somewhere. It should be compatible w/your '92 Max as well. $480shipped is still a whole lot of money but for me, but to have at least almost the same diag. abilities at my disposal as Nissan is worth it, I think....(as long as my wife doesn't find out-that could go toward a new couch, or some other homey stuff)...

Jeremy
Old 11-10-2004, 07:33 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Ok, is there anyone here that can tell me why I cant get my Tungstun E to hotsync to my desktop? Ive done everything I can think of and I just cant get it to sync... Help,,, PLEASE.

This may be the wrong place but you all seem to have alot of knowledge about these products.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:14 PM

Will any of these help if your ECU isn't giving you any codes. I have a rough idle, a lot of hesitation, varying amounts of power, etc. The only time I've seen the CEL was a flash after some MAJOR misfires, but when I stopped to get codes, I still got nothing. So will being able to monitor what's going on all the time with one of these tools help me nail the problem down?

If so, I have a laptop and a Palm (I'd probably prefer to use the laptop), which is recommended? AutoTap, Autoengenuity, Digimoto, Auterra, or Harrison?
Old 12-28-2004, 09:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

HI!
How is digimoto?
What is it ability to pull out sensors data, like resistance, voltage, etc.?
How is it compared to consult?
What programm would be close to CONSULT level?

Would appreciate any information.
Pavel.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:00 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I can't answer 1 or 2 as far as the Digi goes.

3 & 4. Any consumer OBD-II reader really isn't comparable to Consult. The Consult accesses the ECU through a totally different plug. It has the ability to do more than you can dream.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:02 PM

Nissan PC Consult

For those who really need to monitor nissan only, the best way to go is to built your own Consult to RS232 adaptor which should cost less than $10

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/consult_if.htm (The interface)

The Free Software:
http://www.zcontrol.net/
http://300zx-twinturbo.com/conzult/downloads.htm

and use either Free ConZult or Ztalk (Freebie), or Nissan Data Scan ($20) and you get the best poorman consult to monitor your nissan.

I built my self one of the interface and bought the Nissan DataScan from Tom
(Australia) nissandatascan@yahoo.com

You can monitor 12 selectable live sensors in realtime, and it is fast, you can also do something only Consult will do, such as IACV adjustment, iqnition timing adjustment, A/F fuel ratio adjustment, Power Balance, Idle Adjustment, Speed Trial, real time data loging of these parameters. And do self diagnostic and clear ECU codes.

I built and bought these stuffs to diagnose my I30/97 idle problems and they have been extremely helpfull, although I can not use the full feature of it since my Indonesian VQ30DE version is very different than the US or Australian version, eq. MEVI with no O2 sensor, No EGR....
Old 12-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow!
If it is really comparable to consult, it's a wow-wow-wow stuff.
I am tooo exited, sorry.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Alright, back from the dead. I'm set on getting some OBD equipment and am sort of set on the DIGIMOTO. I just wanted to know if it monitors timing on the maxima. I think the auterra does it but I'm not getting a tiny *** PDA for this. The harrison shows timing as well I see but who knows if any others do as well? I would think they do but I'm not sure.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm needing a caw

I think the Auterra has pc versions also.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Yeah and it's almost $250 when the interface costs $100 or so shipped and there are dozens of free software. I just noticed that auterra PC was out but man are they overpriced.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm needing a caw

If you get the non-CAN version off of ebay is pretty cheap. I'm not THAT familar with this obdII stuff nor have I bought for this dude but it "seems" pretty legit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

Yeah and it's almost $250 when the interface costs $100 or so shipped and there are dozens of free software. I just noticed that auterra PC was out but man are they overpriced.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Well I just ordered the elmscan interface for $85, should be here is a few days then all I have to do is wait for the damn laptop to arrive. I'll try the free software to see if it's worth spending the money on the non free stuff. Thanks anyway Jeff, you get a free scan if you show at maxus.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm needing a caw

Question. Yes I've not purchased one yet. I keep seeing this dude selling the Auterra unit for a decent price. Comes with everything but the "retail" box. But comes with the cd rom and the connectors. You think this dude is just buring the cd and using generic connectors/cables??
Old 08-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Hooooooonda.....

It's possible, then again maybe he just lost the box.

Any clue as to how I can fix my little problem?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

All his auctions have this "little box problem"
Old 08-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Hooooooonda.....

That smells fishy then.

Any clues as to why this is happening to me? I haven't changed anything so I'm sure someone else had to.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:13 AM
Conecarver

Question. Yes I've not purchased one yet. I keep seeing this dude selling the Auterra unit for a decent price. Comes with everything but the "retail" box. But comes with the cd rom and the connectors. You think this dude is just buring the cd and using generic connectors/cables??
The CD looks like like the authentic label. Ask him/her outright if he's an authorized Auterra seller and if warranties are included.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:40 AM

So as far as the actual device used to display the sensor info, there are only pda and laptop options right? No standalone scanner/sensor monitor with display right? Thanx for any useful input.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm needing a caw

And a rs232 50ft cable and run it into your house. haha

These devices we are discussing do NOT include the display hardware. If you want to move up to an unit that also includes the display/hardware, it's WAY more expensive. Better to utilize a piece of hardware you already have if possible.

Originally Posted by MaxesRule
So as far as the actual device used to display the sensor info, there are only pda and laptop options right? No standalone scanner/sensor monitor with display right? Thanx for any useful input.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:53 PM

How very inefficient and completely counterproductive to my intended manner of use. lol But thanx though. And I don't have a laptop or pda so that's y I'm looking for an all in one unit (so to speak) instead of tryina pair it w/ a display.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:13 PM

Glad this thread poped back up, I'm planning a laptop purcahse and with 2 other nissans in the house (One Max one Pathfinder) It will help greatly in diagnosing problems.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

Buddy of mine is sending me this one http://www.obd-2.com/index.html for free so I can try it. He never uses it anymore despite him having an obdii car. This one is not as easy to use/read as the Auterra etc.. but for what he wants to sell it for, I can't pass it up. A friend of mine is going to give me an old labtop for me to use that uses a serial port. The labtop is nice as it has a larger screen.

We are lucky as Nissan doesn't look like it's going to the CAN version of OBDII anytime soon. Even the newest Nissans are still obdii. CAN will be standard by 2008 though.

Originally Posted by MDeezy
Glad this thread poped back up, I'm planning a laptop purcahse and with 2 other nissans in the house (One Max one Pathfinder) It will help greatly in diagnosing problems.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by MaxesRule
Actron makes a code reader (CP9145) that is able to display live data. It is a stand alone unit. Keep in mind it is a pretty simple unit and is not as nice as those listed above. I have never used it but it is similar to the one Autozone uses for scanning (except for no live data).

The CP9145 is selling on Ebay right now for $150.

I hope this helps,
Gears
Old 08-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Buddy of mine is sending me this one http://www.obd-2.com/index.html for free so I can try it. He never uses it anymore despite him having an obdii car. This one is not as easy to use/read as the Auterra etc.. but for what he wants to sell it for, I can't pass it up. A friend of mine is going to give me an old labtop for me to use that uses a serial port. The labtop is nice as it has a larger screen.

We are lucky as Nissan doesn't look like it's going to the CAN version of OBDII anytime soon. Even the newest Nissans are still obdii. CAN will be standard by 2008 though.
Those are free for download and I don't think they worked for me at all, maybe the ELM scan interface doesn't work with it.

Quick Reply: OBDII code scanner/sensor monitoring