4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

URGENT! Window won't go up. Please Help.

Old 08-21-2004, 05:22 PM

URGENT! Window won't go up. Please Help.

My rear passenger window won't go back up for some reason. When I hit the window up or down button all I get is a clicking sound but nothing happens. Is there any way I can fix this my self? I really, really don't want to have to tape a garbage bag over it. Please help.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's exactly what my mom's car did when she bought it, except that the power window motor was working, but it had a broken regulator. Are you sure the motor isn't turning when you hit the switch?
Old 08-21-2004, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by mikee72
That's exactly what my mom's car did when she bought it, except that the power window motor was working, but it had a broken regulator. Are you sure the motor isn't turning when you hit the switch?
The motor does something. It makes a really loud clicking sound, but I don't really hear much else.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Sorgasm
The motor does something. It makes a really loud clicking sound, but I don't really hear much else.
IIRC, the switch itself is pretty loud in it's mechanical operation. Have you checked the fuse?
Old 08-21-2004, 06:15 PM

Window Regulator

That happened to me today, I rolled it down and it wouldn't go back up...it just clicked. It is the window regulator, you can get it here for $28.66 http://www.nissanautobodypartstore.c...IMAXIMA45.html (I unbolted the window from the regulator, then had my brother hold it all the way up, while I drilled a hole and put a screw threw the hole where the bolt went at the bottom of the window until I get the regulator) Somone also suggested putting rivets to hold it up. Hope this helps you.

Here is my thread: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=331219
Old 08-21-2004, 06:16 PM

True it was the switch that was making the noise, just pop it out, and listen to it when you hit the control on the drivers control.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:48 PM

My rear passenger window won't go back up for some reason. When I hit the window up or down button all I get is a clicking sound but nothing happens. Is there any way I can fix this my self? I really, really don't want to have to tape a garbage bag over it. Please help.
Sounds to me like you have lost the regulator. The clicking sound is the cable that is stuck from the broken plastic. Remove the door panel, there are four 10mm bolts that hold the regulator to the door, and two that hold it to the window. REMOVE THE MOTOR after removing the regulator from the door, move it to the new regulator, reinstall it, and when finished, the door panel. Everything will be AOK. Dealer cost on this is about $200-250 depending on rate. You can fix it for under $75 with Nissan parts.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by kblast523
Sounds to me like you have lost the regulator. The clicking sound is the cable that is stuck from the broken plastic. Remove the door panel, there are four 10mm bolts that hold the regulator to the door, and two that hold it to the window. REMOVE THE MOTOR after removing the regulator from the door, move it to the new regulator, reinstall it, and when finished, the door panel. Everything will be AOK. Dealer cost on this is about $200-250 depending on rate. You can fix it for under $75 with Nissan parts.

nissan dealership quoted me 365 to fix this. i bought the part and it took my cousin and myself about 30 minutes to fix it. When we started , and we had no idea what we were doing.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:37 PM

my driver side window rolls up slower than the other windows....anyone elses do that?
Old 08-23-2004, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by superblack98se
That happened to me today, I rolled it down and it wouldn't go back up...it just clicked. It is the window regulator, you can get it here for $28.66 http://www.nissanautobodypartstore.c...IMAXIMA45.html (I unbolted the window from the regulator, then had my brother hold it all the way up, while I drilled a hole and put a screw threw the hole where the bolt went at the bottom of the window until I get the regulator) Somone also suggested putting rivets to hold it up. Hope this helps you.

Here is my thread: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=331219
Thanks everybody so much for all of your help. I already ordered a regulator from the link that superblack gave me. I have a question though.

What size rivets do I need to keep the window up temporarily? Also, could anybody give me more detail about how to do this? I'm at my apt. at school and don't have as many parts here as I do at home but It's about a 2 and a half hour drive so I probably won't be able to make it home any time soon with school and work. What tools will I need to take the door panel off and put the rivets in?

Thanks again for everybody's help.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:40 PM

Thanks everybody so much for all of your help. I already ordered a regulator from the link that superblack gave me. I have a question though.

What size rivets do I need to keep the window up temporarily? Also, could anybody give me more detail about how to do this? I'm at my apt. at school and don't have as many parts here as I do at home but It's about a 2 and a half hour drive so I probably won't be able to make it home any time soon with school and work. What tools will I need to take the door panel off and put the rivets in?

bump

10 char
Old 08-23-2004, 07:08 PM