4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Struggles to start...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 09:51 PM

Struggles to start...

Sometimes, my max will hesitate to start. This will usually occur on the first start-up of the day or when the car has sat for more than 4 hours. Other than that the max will start very well without hesitation. Got it checked at the dealer and they said that the battery, charging system, and starter checked out. So, I am confused to what it might be. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:16 AM

man i got the same problem hope we could figure this shiet out its realy making me mad i think its either the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel injectiors keep in touch and tell me what happens
Old 08-19-2004, 11:13 AM

I have the same problem. Every once in a while I will have to crank for a second time. Usually first start of the day. Since my car cranks fine, it just doesn't turn over right away, it leads me to believe it's either a spark/air/fuel problem
Old 08-19-2004, 11:53 AM

year and miles of your car?
Original battery/starter alternator?
I know you had it checked out, but if your still OEM on the above with a 1995, I bet one of the three needs replacing.
Otherwise based on just reading various threads it could be you colant temperature sensor..
Old 08-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am having the same problem...Have you checked your camshaft postion sensor????
Old 08-19-2004, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by 96pearlmax
I am having the same problem...Have you checked your camshaft postion sensor????
If anybody's interested, I posted the "how-to" on this yesterday. Mine's fine... but I still have trouble starting.
97 gxe 5sp, recalled alternator Oct 03, lifetime rebuilt starter March 04, RedTop battery Jan 04. I just changed the KS yesterday and that helped a lot... takes only 2 cranks to get going now instead of 4-8. Happens hot and cold. I'm stumped too
changing rear O2 and maybe cat converter later this week.

Jae
Old 08-19-2004, 12:30 PM

why was there a recall on the 1997 alternator? i am not sure if mine got changed? does anyone no why?

FYI: I dont seem to have a problem with power..
Old 08-19-2004, 01:07 PM

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
02-073 JUL 02 Recall - Alternator Inspection/Replacement

Jae
Old 08-19-2004, 01:14 PM

Just called the dealer, ran my vin, my car was not effect by the recall.. thanks dude
Old 08-19-2004, 01:52 PM

I've been having this same problem with my 95 GXE.
My charging system checks out ok, I think it might have somthing to do with the iginition switch itself. That however doesn't explain why it starts fine when it hasn't been sitting.

Best of luck to you, if you figure this out drop me a private message.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:01 PM

I have the same problem, happened to me last night when I was leaving work, I was there cranking about 8 long times until it finally started... I have a brand new starter and battery... mine is a 96 so I dont have the recall for the alternator... wait till winter time comes, I'm lucky if the car starts at all.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Gotrice4
Sometimes, my max will hesitate to start. This will usually occur on the first start-up of the day or when the car has sat for more than 4 hours. Other than that the max will start very well without hesitation. Got it checked at the dealer and they said that the battery, charging system, and starter checked out. So, I am confused to what it might be. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I have the same problem and have been trying to figure it out for a while. My starter, alternator have 108k miles on them..
Old 08-19-2004, 04:28 PM
wants the ads to die

I had a similar problem for a good 8 months. After spending $1400 at a dealership to no avail I took it back to them 2 weeks ago and said that it was rediculous, that they needed to fix it and that I wasn't going to pay a dime. The next day at noon they called and said it was ready, so I went and it was fixed. They had a mechanic that has worked on Nissans for over 30 years (had Nissan bought Datsun by that time?) and they said the ECU had a short in it... would have cost $1600 w/o labor but as I said, I didn't pay a dime and they fully agreed with it. So, you never know what it could be. I guess you should try an Infiniti dealer and/or find a very experiance Nissan mechanic. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:44 PM

Hey, it sounds like the ignition switch is out the door. I thought it was due to the morning weather when I would turn the key and nothing would happen. It turns out the ignition switch in the steering column was shot and some-odd dollars later it was fixed.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:19 PM

Ok, I changed my KS and noticed my idle's lower than usual. I checked the FSM and it suggests IACV-AAC... if that's fine, then it could be one of the front Oxygen sensors. Funny, cuz both of those components woulda tripped an ECU code, right?

Which leads me to beleive... Deagle's got a point. If the ECU's not reading anything right, then we're all crapped out.

Jae
Old 08-23-2004, 02:26 AM

Stuck A New Camshaft Position Sensor In>>>and Wham>>>>>>shes Purring..................problem Fixed
Old 08-23-2004, 02:49 AM
THX
Hallelujah

No kidding? I could have sworn it was a fuel pressure problem. I only have this problem when I'm low on gas. Thanks for the update.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by 96pearlmax
Stuck A New Camshaft Position Sensor In>>>and Wham>>>>>>shes Purring..................problem Fixed
how much did that cost?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Deagle
I had a similar problem for a good 8 months. After spending $1400 at a dealership to no avail I took it back to them 2 weeks ago and said that it was rediculous, that they needed to fix it and that I wasn't going to pay a dime. The next day at noon they called and said it was ready, so I went and it was fixed. They had a mechanic that has worked on Nissans for over 30 years (had Nissan bought Datsun by that time?) and they said the ECU had a short in it... would have cost $1600 w/o labor but as I said, I didn't pay a dime and they fully agreed with it. So, you never know what it could be. I guess you should try an Infiniti dealer and/or find a very experiance Nissan mechanic. Good luck.
Same thing happened to my brother-in-law's 95. Wouldn't start but cranks ok. The dealer replaced the starter (it cranked fine - what idiots), crank sensor,
and then numerous trips to the dealer. Problem traced to poor connection of crank position signal at the ECU. The guy found it by wiggling the cable harness. They then put in a small pin or something to make a better connection.

Usually, if it won't start when cold, suspect the 'engine coolant temp sensor'. The ECU will think the car is warmed up when it is not and set the air/fuel ratio accordingly. The engine will then be hard to start.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:53 AM

i dunno guys im for sure its not a bad battery or starter or alternator, my buddy was standing behind the car when i started it and said black smoke came out a little. which leads me to believe that 1 too much gas (fuel pressure regulator) or spark plugs ignition coil etc.. that would be the only real thing. i dunno i really hope that one of us can figure this out cuz i really sucks when it just cranks like an idiot.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem on my '96 Max. It would crank, but doesn't start until I gave it a little gas. Here's what I did to fix this problem: Changed the fuel filter (mine still had the original filter, and the gas at the bottom of the filter was "muddy"), Clean the throttle body valve inside and out (I remove the T.B. completely), Clean the IAC valve, and replace new NGK plugs. It now starts like new. Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:29 AM

hmm i changed the fuel filter also and cleaned the throttle the plugs look good maybe its teh IAC valve
Old 08-23-2004, 09:24 AM

does anyone know if and how you can test the coolant temp sensor? I'm having the same problem but I dont want to guess and check, thats too expensive. Thanks
Old 08-23-2004, 12:00 PM

Yup, I recently replaced the starter too. After a month, I have to turn the key a couple of times to get it starter. Is this normal for the max? If not, i'll take it back to the shop to have it checked out.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:11 PM

I am telling you...replace the camshaft position sensor....i payed 69.00 at napa. Before i did this i tested my charging system, battery, and starter. Those tests took all of 10 min. I put in new sensor, reset, ECU, and she purrrrrs like a kitten
Old 08-23-2004, 01:16 PM

The camshaft position sensor totally deal with ignition timing. That little 65 dollar sensor can throw your whole starter off. Dont automatically assume its your starter. Locate the camshaft sensor(on left side of engine going into timing cover, all you do is undo sensor and undo that one screw) Take it out and scrape off all the particles stuck to the sensor(its magnetic). Put it back in, put screw on, attach sensor and see if this helps..
Old 08-23-2004, 01:24 PM

thanks man will give it a try
Old 08-23-2004, 07:29 PM

the camshaft pos sensor is the last thing i havent checked besides all the fueling stuff... I got a code for the crank pos sensor, so i am gonna replace it, and if its still being stupid, will change the cam one too
Old 08-23-2004, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gotrice4
I had this problem the day after I picked up the new car from dealer. I took it back to dealer for checkup, but they couldn't find any.. They asked if I depress gas pedal while starting.. Of course not..
When this happens, I just keep cranking up.. when engine starts, I see black dark smoke from my exhaust. Looks like running rich.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:28 PM

Wow a lot of replies, and the forums notification didn't send me one e-mail...

Well, I'm at school right now so I have no access to my tools or anything. The max is a '95 (production date 3/94) GXE. The battery is an optima red top that checked out fine, the started was replaced a few years ago with a bosch remanufactured, and the charging system came out fine. That camshaft position sensor sounds like that could be the culprit. It happened to me again today and I would crank for a while and nothing. Then crank it again and then it would stumble then die. One more time, it would kind of stumble, kind of turn over then die again. Then I cranked it again and it turned right over. I guess I might check with the dealer in town and see what the want to check it out. Wish me luck and thanks for all the informative replies.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:47 PM

I was having the same problem with my '95. I had the starter tested and they said it was bad so I got a free one b/c it had a lifetime warrenty. That didn't help at all. I then changed the wiring on the back side of the ignition switch. It started pretty good after that but then my battery went dead.
But when I was at Nissan I ordered the new ignition piece and new battery cables so I installed the new cables,new ignition piece and a new battery and it starts up like new.

My Syptoms:
Hard starts(lasting at least 5-7 seconds)
RPM going up and down on start up

What I Changed:
New Battery Cables
Starter
Battery
Ignition Switch($40)

It was most likely the ignition switch that finally made it work. I had my alternator tested and that was fine. I wouldn't change the battery cable unless it makes you feel better(it made me feel better because they were 10 yrs old) b/c they are expensive,about $140.
By the way the ignition piece that I replaced didn't look damaged at all but I really think that was the problem.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:24 PM

alright guys i did a lot of work today on this car including: cleaning tb, the IACV, i cleaned the camshaft sensor which wasnt dirty, cleaned the crankshaft senor which had a little shavings of metal on it. With no results i even raised the idel but nothing it still starts after teh second time and my steering wheel still vibrates when im at a stop .wtf!!! im starting to hate this car
Old 08-23-2004, 11:35 PM

anyone have a picture that shows where the IACV is?

I see this link but im not sure what it actually looks like. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=IACV
Old 08-24-2004, 07:58 AM

I seem to be getting the impression that there is some major misconceptions about the relationship between the starter and actually having the engine run. I will attempt to clear this up: If the motor cranks over when the key is in the start position, then there is NOTHING WRONG with the starter even if the engine fails to run or run only after extended cranking. All the starter does is turn the motor, nothing more. If the motor turns at the normal speed but does not run, it's something else, not the starter. I suspect that excessive cranking has run down a few peoples batteries, hense the focus on starters.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:09 AM

excessive cranking causes cps dtc.
Jae
Old 08-24-2004, 05:05 PM

yea no kidding what the prob in my car is that when want to start it cranks like crazy for like 5 seconds before it starts. but if i let the key go and try again it will start after 1 turn of the engine
Old 08-25-2004, 05:36 PM

I am having the same kind of problem with my 2000. My car turns over once then kicks out for a second, then turns over 5-10 times and starts. I cleaned the crank sensor off and it didnt do anything. Where is this ignition switch? I might try playing around with that
Old 08-25-2004, 07:24 PM

does anyone remember back in april 2004 thread called " hard starding "

I was one of those guys, to make a long store short my fix was BAD GROUND BETWEEN THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSON good luck!!!!!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=306697
Old 08-25-2004, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by st8rider
does anyone remember back in april 2004 thread called " hard starding "

I was one of those guys, to make a long store short my fix was BAD GROUND BETWEEN THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSON good luck!!!!!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=306697

Do you remember which bolt it was? I am missing a bolt in my tranny, which was lost by the dealer. It is just left of the starter. Ever since I replace the transmission I have been having this problem.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:33 PM

i didnt do the work the dealer did.. i had tranny work by ammco and they didnt put 2 or 3 bolts back

Quick Reply: Struggles to start...