4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Buying Maxima have urgen questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 05:42 PM

Buying Maxima have urgen questions!

I'm thinking about buying a Maxima and I have some questions that are URGENT seeing as I need to buy it or not buy it VERY SOON.

It's a 96 GXE (no leather so i think GXE?)
White

Ok so the radio doesn't work, i checked out the back and it has NO ANTENNA!
How much will this cost me to fix and is it hard?

Also the back of the passenger side front seat is ripped a lot. Is this hard to fix or can it be done easily/inexpensively?

Just wanted some opinions on price as well, it needs new tires pretty soon also.

He wants 6000 Canadian, car has 175000 KM (not miles). No rust, exterior is pretty good, small crack in windshield, drives smoothe, looks good under the hood. Also has add on rims, and an addon Deck (Pioneer Graphic Deck).

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

-Jordan
Old 07-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Custom User Title...

just because it doesn't have leather doesn't make it a gxe, se's can come that way too. what color are the exterior door handles and does it have a brake light in the rear deck in addition to spoiler if there's a spoiler?

antennas are cheap enough, you can prolly find one ~$35 or so.

tires are expensive, try to haggle the price with him because of that and otherwise, if it checks out with a mechanic, go for it.

it's hard to tell someone whether or not to buy a car when you don't see it in person, get a full description, or have had it checked out to see what's wrong with it. goodluck!
Old 07-28-2004, 05:54 PM

Welcome.

Auto or 5spd? Auto is about $1000cdn more expensive.

Pop the trunk and pull back the trim on the right side of the trunk. You should see a scissor jack. Is it there? One less point you can pick on if it is.

To it's left (or right? can't remember) you should see the metal assembly for the radio antenna. If you don't and all you're looking at iis an empty hole on the right rear quarter panel, then lowball him with an offer for $4500cdn.

None of the problems you've listed can be easily fixed at low cost. If you don't mind the look of duct tape on your seats then yeah hey whaddafuk, otherwise nope fixing the front passenger seat isn't cheap. Again lowball him and then visit leatherseats.com and laugh all the way to the bank!

Tell him you don't care about the deck. He obviously doesn't either otherwise the antenna would be functional. Also if you're not infatuated with the rims tell him you want the stock rims.

Cracks in windshield is something that's a showstopper when getting insurance for the vehicle. A small divot costs ~$60cdn, a crack ~$100cdn. You need to get this done in order to get insurance for a car.

Nothing about this car screams "I'm special" so don't get hot-n-horny over it. $6k is more than a fair price for a decent-condition 96 Max 5spd. If you get the price knocked down best get it tested at a garage before dropping the $$$. Get them to check the shocks, rotors, pads, tires, rust underneath, cat converter. Also pay them to do a compresion and vacuum pressure check if you care about the performance aspect of the 4th gen Max.

Wow, don't think I've ever rambled on this long before. Damn beer!
Old 07-28-2004, 08:21 PM

Some more info...

Ok, I will put up some more info.

It is automatic transmission.
It has silver chrome door handles.
It is white exterior cloth interior.

He is moving so he is looking to sell it fast I think.

He said he replaced the 2 front tires with tires from a junkyard, and the 2 back are winter tires that are being driven in the summer so probably needs 4 tires. There is not any rust and when i drove it it was very smooth, I didn't see anything under the hood out of place but I am not an expert.

Here is the car: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...sPageName=WDVW

I am not buying it off of ebay but he put it up so thats a pic of it.

Thanks again for all responses!

-Jordan
Old 07-28-2004, 08:39 PM

what is 6000cdn in us currency? or what is the exchange rate at the moment? personally I wouldn't want to buy a "nice" car like a maxima that had so many problems to begin with, in my opinion it definetely makes it seem like the owner negelected it; and who knows what else.

it does say there are a lot of new things; so I don't know.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:09 PM

6000 Canadian= 4500 US (roughly)
Old 07-29-2004, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jord@n
Ok, I will put up some more info.

It is automatic transmission.
It has silver chrome door handles.
It is white exterior cloth interior.

He is moving so he is looking to sell it fast I think.

He said he replaced the 2 front tires with tires from a junkyard, and the 2 back are winter tires that are being driven in the summer so probably needs 4 tires. There is not any rust and when i drove it it was very smooth, I didn't see anything under the hood out of place but I am not an expert.

Here is the car: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...sPageName=WDVW

I am not buying it off of ebay but he put it up so thats a pic of it.

Thanks again for all responses!

-Jordan
Chrome door handles would make it a GLE right? As for the seats...cloth? Grey cloth? I'll sell you a new passenger seat. The radio...I don't think he would rip the wire out....theres no real point unless your going for weight reduction (har). Note that it is a 2 prong cable and that you have to wire up the power antenna to make it worth with an after market deck.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:36 AM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

i bought my 1995 Maxima Se Auto for $4500 american it had 173,000 KM on it. Came with Bose Radio/ Leather/ Mud Flaps/ and an Attenna that works. My tires are just fine also. ask for $5000 CDN
Old 07-29-2004, 11:24 AM

bump

any other opinions?

thanks for feedback!
Old 07-29-2004, 11:27 AM

Thats a pretty penny for a car thats going to need a new seat and antenna and windshield. Try to get that price down and haggle with the guy. See if he can get atleast some of it fixed before you buy it, if not I would honestly say pass it on. Its on you though...
Old 07-29-2004, 12:26 PM

$4500 is too much to have to then get tires, windshield, antenna and check-up stuff. I mean, the tires are going to run you like $400, at least. The windshield is at least $150. And the antenna, I have no idea. Plus, you will spend a couple of hundred on just odd stuff getting it to good working order (knock sensor, O2 sensors, etc...).

That guy is planning on selling a car on ebay with ONE picture? What is he smoking?

*I bought my car from an ebay auction, and I would be very cautious about this deal. You need a lot more description and a ton more pictures of a car before you can make as big of a decision as buying a car. (just trying to help you out.)
Old 07-29-2004, 12:45 PM
lefty

Dude, one picture on e-bay for a car shows lack of interest in selling car or lack of common sense.

I put up 3 pictures on something as small as a damn battery for a camera that is like $40 .

Old 07-29-2004, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
$4500 is too much to have to then get tires, windshield, antenna and check-up stuff. I mean, the tires are going to run you like $400, at least. The windshield is at least $150. And the antenna, I have no idea. Plus, you will spend a couple of hundred on just odd stuff getting it to good working order (knock sensor, O2 sensors, etc...).

That guy is planning on selling a car on ebay with ONE picture? What is he smoking?

*I bought my car from an ebay auction, and I would be very cautious about this deal. You need a lot more description and a ton more pictures of a car before you can make as big of a decision as buying a car. (just trying to help you out.)
I am not buying the car from Ebay. I am buying it privately in person looking at car. Just he has it on Ebay so I put up the link so you guys could see the pic and stuff. Thanks for input though!
Old 07-29-2004, 01:46 PM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

pass on this. u can find better for less
Old 07-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Chrome door handles make it either a GLE or GXE.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:58 PM

Thanks for input everyone, but I don't think I am buying it since he won't lower price or fix anything :P
Old 07-29-2004, 01:59 PM

If anyone knows a 95/96 Max in the Alberta area for around 6000 let me know.
Thanks again for input!
Old 07-29-2004, 03:58 PM

You should check out www.buysell.com & www.autotrader.ca
Both have listings of Maxima's in the Edmonton area.