4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

2 things REALLY starting to annoy me on my 4th gen Maxima. DEFINITELY need input here

Old 07-25-2004, 08:13 PM

2 things REALLY starting to annoy me on my 4th gen Maxima. DEFINITELY need input here

1.) The plastic housing that surrounds my fan/ac controls is makin' all kinds of sqeaking noises. Looks like the glue isn't holding at strong anymore, cuz whenever I go over a bump, I hear the plastic moving a cracking a little. It's really annoying. What can do? Spray some WD-40 around the edges of the plastic and hope it soaks underneath to lessen that annoying sound?

2.) The cloth lining along the roof is falling down. The glue that held the cloth lining to the roof is apparently useless. The roof of my 98 max is startin to look like the roof a tent (cuz it's saging down in the middle). How can I fix this biatch? Any ideas?

Thanks for reading this.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:31 PM
The Definitive AE Master

odd i dont have any of these problems... time for a suede headliner...
Old 07-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Custom User Title...

there is a tsb about the noise issue. i believe jatan is hosting them, i'll see if i can find you the link. check around the faq's either in this or the general forums cuz i know there's a link that talks about this and shows you were to put the "squeak tape" to quiet it down.

my suggestion to your roof troubles...i'd either look into buying another one from a junkyard or someone on here with a totalled max...or i'd take out the liner itself (i believe it's just held in by those snaps that hold the door panels on) and buy some 3m 80 or 90 adhesive to fix it. once you get the roof panel/liner out, remove the carpet material just by carefully peeling the rest out and respray the whole thing. that's what i'd do...

or you could take it to a body shop or upholstery shop and see what they have to say.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:24 PM

I'd have to agree. Many auto parts stores sell headliner spray adhesive. Assuming that the headliner is in good shape, you should hopefully be able to carefully remove it and carefully re-glue it. (Don't forget your bug-eyed safety goggles and mask you're spraying that adhesive stuff inside your car...)

I'd check online for some general tips on re-glueing a headliner. I'm sure the max headliner is no different than on other cars. There may be special solvents that you rub on the loosen the old glue so you can get under there in reglue.

I'm surprised that's happening in your '98.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:52 PM

im suprised this happened in a maxima period, or in an import car for that matter. ive heard and seen the headliner fall out in many many american cars, esp GM. never heard of it happen to an import. unless you are handy at these sorta things id just suggest u go to a shop to have it done cleanly. last thing you want is a headliner that looks all crazy as if it wasnt done right. shops around here usually run around 100-150 for a nice job. my friend did an interior swap and wanted a black headliner and they changed it for him fast, for like 139.99

saggy roof reminds me of my dads chevey celebrity his interior looked like inside of a genie lamp, all it needed was some throw pillows. it was like arabian nights in there.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:54 PM

wow, on a '98? my '97 interior is mint. do you have a moonroof? I do, maybe cars without one have a much larger unsupported area (meaning not held up by things on the headliner,) and begins to sag earlier. that sucks man.

just the other day i was looking around when I cleaned it and saying to myself how beautifully it was holding up, heh.

just a thought. did you ever leave the windows down and let A LOT Of moisture in at any point, like leave them open in the rain or something. or perhaps a previous owner may have?
Old 07-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Larrio
odd i dont have any of these problems... time for a suede headliner...

same here...

although i wish it started coming down... Then i would get a suede one..
Old 07-26-2004, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by tomservo291
wow, on a '98? my '97 interior is mint. do you have a moonroof? I do, maybe cars without one have a much larger unsupported area (meaning not held up by things on the headliner,) and begins to sag earlier. that sucks man.
I don't think so Every car my family has ever owned has not had a sunroof/moonroof and not one of them has had a saggy headliner My Max has no signs of sagginess and it doesn't have a sunroof either. This is actually the first report of this happening to a Maxima that I've seen. Guess the machine incharge of gluing the headliner to the roof was running low on glue when it came to his car? lol
Old 07-26-2004, 09:05 AM

That headliner stuff is crazy, especially on a 98! I have the exception to Magikone69's statement about headliners not falling on imports - mine fell on my old DSM, but I knew why - too much contact with it. I had a friend who loved to run his hands up and down the headliner because he could feel the cushioning underneath it squishing. Well three months later I start to see it loosening in the area where he rubbed. Another three months later, my headliner droops so bad it's touching my head. This story might be useless, but think about if anyone put unnecessary pressure on the headliner ... it was the culprit in my DSM.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:40 AM

for the time being use thumb tacks to hold it up. It'll look pimp! LOL This happened to my old eclipse. I found some guy in the yellow pages to come to my house and repair it. Might want to look into that option
Old 07-26-2004, 02:41 PM

Took some pics. It's not TOO bad. Saggin probly an inch. It's not all that noticeable. But to a maxima owner who likes to keep his car is tip top shape (despite the 97k miles)... this is headliner is rather frustrating.

Notice the headliner near the right rear upper roof handle. See it sagging?

BTW... i read the stickies and I can't find anything on QUES 1 that I posted earlier. Someone said it was on the stickies. I dunno.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:07 PM

What about the air vent noise? I too have this problem, well, at least I think it comes from there. At first I thought it was the seatbelt because I have shoulder pads and it makes the seatbelt loose but even when someone's on the passenger seat, I still can here it. Pretty annoying noise...
Old 07-26-2004, 03:11 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
1.) The plastic housing that surrounds my fan/ac controls is makin' all kinds of sqeaking noises. Looks like the glue isn't holding at strong anymore, cuz whenever I go over a bump, I hear the plastic moving a cracking a little. It's really annoying. What can do? Spray some WD-40 around the edges of the plastic and hope it soaks underneath to lessen that annoying sound?

2.) The cloth lining along the roof is falling down. The glue that held the cloth lining to the roof is apparently useless. The roof of my 98 max is startin to look like the roof a tent (cuz it's saging down in the middle). How can I fix this biatch? Any ideas?

Thanks for reading this.
#2 I can't help you with, but...

#1 - You need to take out the entire middle console. Refer to a page where it says how to change your stereo - it's really not hard at all - will take you 10-15 minutes tops!

Anyhow, I recently eliminated 99.9% of all the squeeks, rattles and annoyances caused by the vents, ac/fan controls, etc. Once you take of the middle console, look behind the fan-speed adjust and temp part of the console. The rear of that part of the console is covered by a removable plastic wall (you'll see what I mean when you get there). Now, I have honestly seen and know that THIS particular part makes rattling noise in EVERY 4th gen Maxima. What you need to do is take it off and put anti-squeek tape along side the plastic wall everywhere, lots of tape! Then, go ahead and gently bump or tap the entire console (when still out) with your fist and that way you can pinpoint other rattles and noises associated with the console, which may or may not be apparent in other 4th gen Maximas. Lastly, before putting the entire console back in its place, make sure you have anti-squeek tape along with left and right hand sides. Make sure you have lots of it. If you already have tape there, put extra layers on there - believe me, it helps!

Hope this helps

Old 07-26-2004, 03:26 PM

boss, where did you find the tape? local dealer told me it was for their techs only & only comes in some huge kit, sounds like bs. couldn't find anything in the stores (auto loan,atlast auto, pimp boys, or luda lip depot ). just say where and i'm there!! thanx
Old 07-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Doin' it 4 da shorteez

Ive got a 96 with moon roof, almost 140k and my roof is still perfect, other than the tan color getting darker with all the smoking that has gone on. Maybe weather or other factors?
Old 07-26-2004, 04:14 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by nitromax
boss, where did you find the tape? local dealer told me it was for their techs only & only comes in some huge kit, sounds like bs. couldn't find anything in the stores (auto loan,atlast auto, pimp boys, or luda lip depot ). just say where and i'm there!! thanx
any kind of anti-squeek tape will do really

Here's an example: http://www.globalspec.com/FeaturedPr...xhibitID=11583

They're all over the internet...do a search on google and you may find others. I had one at home laying around. So, I don't know what stores carry things like that, possibly home depot?

Remember that any anti-squeek tape will do, does not necessarily have to say "automotive" anywhere, as long as it's for electronic, noise/rattle control applications (such as auto dash components). Good luck

BTW, am I spelling "squeek" correctly? hmm, "squeak"?

Old 07-26-2004, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS
BTW, am I spelling "squeek" correctly? hmm, "squeak"?

Hahaha ... squeak is correct.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:32 PM

The genre is apparently called "mounting tape" and Home Depot has a double-sided foam tape from a company called Intertape. It's 3/4 of an inch wide, and only 1/16 of an inch thick. . . . . 36yds for $12.29. The description mentions metal, glass, and other smooth surfaces, but only says they are the "primary" uses. Looks like it should work well.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:57 AM

Boss is right about adding the tape. I did it after reading a TSB about it. No more squeaks or ratles.

I used two different types of "tape". the first was what is referred to as "friction tape". You know the stuff you wrap baseball bats, hockey sticks, etc... with?
The second was the self-adhesive foam insulating tape. The type you use to seal out drafts around door jambs. I used the thinnest I could find. This was used where there was a measurable gap between pieces, whereas the friction tape was used around pieces that contact each other. Doing both will drastically cut down on friction induced "squeaks" and loose part "rattles".

Other places to check are the A-pillars where they meet the windshield/dash, the shifter console cover, and the black gauge cluster surround piece. Surprisingly, I still had a rattle I could not locate. After reading the TSB's, it led me to the most ridiculous place. Take the glovebox out (6 screws). The mount that the glovebox light goes in is notoriously loose. A little friction tape to tighten up the fit and the rattle is gone!

Dave
Old 07-27-2004, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Holmes
Boss is right about adding the tape. I did it after reading a TSB about it. No more squeaks or ratles.

I used two different types of "tape". the first was what is referred to as "friction tape". You know the stuff you wrap baseball bats, hockey sticks, etc... with?
The second was the self-adhesive foam insulating tape. The type you use to seal out drafts around door jambs. I used the thinnest I could find. This was used where there was a measurable gap between pieces, whereas the friction tape was used around pieces that contact each other. Doing both will drastically cut down on friction induced "squeaks" and loose part "rattles".

Other places to check are the A-pillars where they meet the windshield/dash, the shifter console cover, and the black gauge cluster surround piece. Surprisingly, I still had a rattle I could not locate. After reading the TSB's, it led me to the most ridiculous place. Take the glovebox out (6 screws). The mount that the glovebox light goes in is notoriously loose. A little friction tape to tighten up the fit and the rattle is gone!

Dave

Wow, this thread has some great replies. Maybe it could go under the HOW TO sticky?

BTW, how do you get those panels off the center console? Just pry that **** with a screwdriver head surrounded by a cloth?
Old 12-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great question on the last Post - How do you go about taking the center counsole apart. I can't fine any screws or anything to start the process. Any detailed information would be Great!
Thanks!
Old 12-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Team Ramrod

hmm...mine doesnt do that. i do have a complaint though... the cup holder near the e-brake SUCKS its hideous and it doesnt even hold cups
Old 12-03-2004, 02:10 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

time to invest in a CF headliner... is that still made?? I remember that post a long time ago, looked sweet.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:24 PM

saggin headliner??? my max has 239K on it and no saggin and no plastic noises... that odd... like matt nz said "Guess the machine incharge of gluing the headliner to the roof was running low on glue when it came to his car? lol" good luck with the repairs.... btw my max has been with me since 50K
Old 01-20-2005, 04:55 PM

I Actually Just Swapped Out Interior Of My Car And I Have A Tan HeadlineR Left Over If You Are Willing To Buy It, If It Is Not A Color Match I Could Wrap The Headliner With Gucci,louis Vitton, Or Burberry(note The Headline Has A Hole For The Sunroof)

gETT AT ME IT INTERESTED AIM SCREEN NAME: bABB6705
Old 01-20-2005, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Max96LSU
for the time being use thumb tacks to hold it up. It'll look pimp!

LOL thats exactly what we used in my friend's 85 impala. It works well as a temp fix (although his have been in for about a year )
Old 10-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

"The cloth lining along the roof is falling down. The glue that held the cloth lining to the roof is apparently useless. The roof of my 98 max is startin to look like the roof a tent (cuz it's saging down in the middle). How can I fix this biatch? Any ideas?"

3M 77 spray glue will hold up a head liner with no problem!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:26 PM

I'm sure by now its problem is probably taken cared off.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:41 PM

Good idea nonetheless. A slit in the fabric + spray adhesive is probably as strong and much less effort. Done right and trimmed down, I doubt anyone would notice.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BOSS
#2 I can't help you with, but...

#1 - You need to take out the entire middle console. Refer to a page where it says how to change your stereo - it's really not hard at all - will take you 10-15 minutes tops!

Anyhow, I recently eliminated 99.9% of all the squeeks, rattles and annoyances caused by the vents, ac/fan controls, etc. Once you take of the middle console, look behind the fan-speed adjust and temp part of the console. The rear of that part of the console is covered by a removable plastic wall (you'll see what I mean when you get there). Now, I have honestly seen and know that THIS particular part makes rattling noise in EVERY 4th gen Maxima. What you need to do is take it off and put anti-squeek tape along side the plastic wall everywhere, lots of tape! Then, go ahead and gently bump or tap the entire console (when still out) with your fist and that way you can pinpoint other rattles and noises associated with the console, which may or may not be apparent in other 4th gen Maximas. Lastly, before putting the entire console back in its place, make sure you have anti-squeek tape along with left and right hand sides. Make sure you have lots of it. If you already have tape there, put extra layers on there - believe me, it helps!

Hope this helps
you mentioned the site to look at for procedure (howto take out radio) where is it? could not find it on the how to site
Old 04-05-2014, 01:28 AM

Another noob who cant read thread dates