4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

clicking noise when I try to start my maxima

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 07:21 PM

clicking noise when I try to start my maxima

This has probably been discussed before but I'm clueless. I would like to try to fix this as soon as possible. When I try to start my car (96 maxima se) I get a clickling noise like

click click click click

I get power to the radio and stuff, windows go up and down so I don't think it's the battery. Would could it be exactly and what would I have to replace? I couldn't find a write up of any sort
Old 07-04-2004, 07:32 PM
acj

Originally Posted by PhaZe
This has probably been discussed before but I'm clueless. I would like to try to fix this as soon as possible. When I try to start my car (96 maxima se) I get a clickling noise like

click click click click

I get power to the radio and stuff, windows go up and down so I don't think it's the battery. Would could it be exactly and what would I have to replace? I couldn't find a write up of any sort
The clicking noise is probably the starter trying to engage--the solenoid clicking.

If the battery cable is loose it will do this...it has just enough of a contact to power lights and such, but when more power is needed for the started it won't do anything. Try moving the battery cables with your hand, if they twist around, they are too loose. You want it so that the cables can't move.

Also a low/almost dead battery could cause this....these are just two of the EASY fixes, could be something else.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:40 PM

actually that might be the problem. The car was neglected and there was some massive erosion on the battery terminals. I put some baking soda water on it and it cleared most of it, I also went out and bought some crap from walmart.

I guess I should mention that the car has been parked in the same spot for a few days because I had to replace the padding ( suffered some slight flood damage) I went ahead and changed the battery terminals today and I noticed the negative cable was in real bad condition. the problem is there is no slack so if I cut the crappy wires off and put a terminal , it wont reach the battery.

What could I do in that case?
Old 07-04-2004, 11:40 PM

mine does the same thing but turns off when i put it in drive and have to press the gas to keep it on what can be the problem???? Thanks
Old 07-05-2004, 03:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

probable solution

Originally Posted by Danny95
mine does the same thing but turns off when i put it in drive and have to press the gas to keep it on what can be the problem???? Thanks

Low idle or Possible exhaust leak. Adjust idle and Check the exhaust manifold and then trouble shoot from there. If there is an exhaust leak you should be able to hear it while the car is running heard best if you are under the car.

let me know how it goes,
Mike
Old 07-05-2004, 10:09 AM

Hey it was the battery, I took it to auto zone and the voltage was half of what it should be.

What kind of battery does the ORG recommend?
Old 07-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Optima red top if you wanna shell out a lil extra $$$.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:07 PM

hmm it wasnt my batter or alternator.I left it on and when i put it in drive it wanted to shut off but didnt it studdered for a while to stay on then ran fine..After i turned it off again nothing happen the 2nd time but later on same problem occured...??? Can it be my fuel pump??
Old 07-05-2004, 05:42 PM
acj

Originally Posted by PhaZe
Hey it was the battery, I took it to auto zone and the voltage was half of what it should be.

What kind of battery does the ORG recommend?

Glad it was just your battery...no big expense there (unless you make it to be!).

A lot of people on here prefer the Optima, but I like things simple and cheap. I've had great luck out of EverStart and Autocraft batteries, I think these can be purchased from Advance or maybe even Wal-Mart. But my Max came with a Interstate battery, seems to be working fine and it looks like its been there a few years.

Originally Posted by Danny95
hmm it wasnt my batter or alternator.I left it on and when i put it in drive it wanted to shut off but didnt it studdered for a while to stay on then ran fine..After i turned it off again nothing happen the 2nd time but later on same problem occured...??? Can it be my fuel pump??
Not quite sure here, your problem doesn't seem to be electrical. It's hard to diagnose when your not actually there with it.

Have you watched your tach just before it dies…do the rpm’s just suddenly drop or does it flutter a little? Maybe the fuel filter is getting trash up in it…not really sure here without seeing it.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:34 PM

rpms are fluttering a little before it turns off...