4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please Help!!! Need 1 Question To be Fulfilled in Order to Solve Coil Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 02:12 PM

Please Help!!! Need 1 Question To be Fulfilled in Order to Solve Coil Problem

I have a bad coil for Cyl#5, I went to AutoZone to get a new coil but I don't know if I need a right or a left coil. Jeff @ MaxxTuning told me the coils go from front to back not left to right, but everywhere I go they are asking if its a left coil or right. So I'm asking someone please help me out in letting me know if Cyl 5 is a left coil or right coil. My car is misfiring like crazy. For anyone else who needs coils, Autozone Sells them for $64.99 indiviually. If after I replace my coil and I'm still misfiring, I'll know its my injector,So guys Please Help me out here. Thanks.
-Pharo
Old 06-30-2004, 03:26 PM
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake

i dunno which is which, but just take out the coil and show them.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by PharoNDmist
I have a bad coil for Cyl#5, I went to AutoZone to get a new coil but I don't know if I need a right or a left coil. Jeff @ MaxxTuning told me the coils go from front to back not left to right, but everywhere I go they are asking if its a left coil or right. So I'm asking someone please help me out in letting me know if Cyl 5 is a left coil or right coil. My car is misfiring like crazy. For anyone else who needs coils, Autozone Sells them for $64.99 indiviually. If after I replace my coil and I'm still misfiring, I'll know its my injector,So guys Please Help me out here. Thanks.
-Pharo
With your car being a 99, you'll be replacing more than one coil in no time. There about $56/coil at Courtesy Nissan. Get the Mitsibushi ones, the Hanshin are the defective coils. If I remember correctly, back coils are left, front coils are right.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:45 PM

Ok! It's very easy. Use your imagination to turn your engine straight forward just like the set up of inline V6. Now, the FRONT bank of your engine is considered as LEFT or driver side, and the REAR bank will be the RIGHT.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i wish someone had told me this sooner, i ordered the hanshin ones becuase those are the ones jerry rome told me to get.....
Old 06-30-2004, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by X5Runner
Ok! It's very easy. Use your imagination to turn your engine straight forward just like the set up of inline V6. Now, the FRONT bank of your engine is considered as LEFT or driver side, and the REAR bank will be the RIGHT.
Thanks guys. But I'm still confused of which is left and right, I have 2 of you saying different things. Which one would be the lucky 5 left or right?
Old 07-01-2004, 03:46 AM

Hey! Sorry for the confusion. The cylinder #5 is the last one of the RIGHT bank. It's located near the fire wall and just feet away from the brake booster. Keep in mind that if you stand in front of ur car, the cylinders those are closest to you to be considered as LEFT or 2-4-6 counted from your left to your right. Cylinders those are further away from you, but closest to the fire wall to be considered as RIGHT bank or 1-3-5 also counted from your left to your right.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

X5Runner has got it right.... just think of it being an old rear wheel drive car. The left side (sitting in car) of the engine is rotated to the front in the Maxima.

See if autozone can actually get you a coil. I needed to replace one last month on mine, but it was a special order. In fact, none of the local part stores had one in stock.

The whole thing kind of ****ed me off anyway. I didn't really need the whole coil, just the connector between the coil and the plug. Mine was arcing to the valve cover. I had it wrapped in electrical tape for a week or so and it ran like new - only the tape kept melting.

I couldn't believe that the rubber tube/spring was not available separately. I had the same thing on a quad-4 motor a couple of years ago and NAPA carried it for that.

Oh well... at that point the car cost me a total of ~ $110 (bought plugs while I was at it)
Old 07-01-2004, 05:45 PM

can anyone tell me how to change the coil?
any instruction on web and how hard is it going to be?
my CEL is on and the car is jerking and thrombing like crazy when idle

also i found this on the other site http://forums.motorvate.ca/viewtopic.php?t=168
saying that u can just use a hign temp tape to shield it off, any common on that? just trying to save money and pay off my school loan...

thanks in advance
Old 07-03-2004, 01:32 PM

Ok, I just replaced the coil about 5mins ago, and the CEL is still on and its still misfiring. Now I think its my injector. I'm going to take it to Maximumtuning on Monday and if it is the injector, I don't know if I should get the 1 stock 240cc injector or just get 370cc injectors since I'm going turbo but I'm not sure If I need the Apexi to tune them.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Kevlo for President

What plugs are in there. Maybe you got another dead coil, check the code again.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:26 PM

I have the brand new NGK's. The Ecu Gave me a misfire code and a high voltage reading from the o2 sensors. Could it be that the Ecu can't give multiple readings at once? Also Would I need an SAFC to control 370cc injectors or can I run them without it?