4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No more modding for me....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 10:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No more modding for me....

Well, the wife has decided it's time we make some little Ian's to go out and corrupt the world.

To do this I must move out of my place and buy a bigger place to compensate for the extra little person that will be coming in the next year or so.

Also, the wifey doesn't want to work - she wants to stay home with the kiddies. I think that's actually admirable in this day and age.

So - being a single-income family soon means that I have to start saving up now for a house.

So no more modding. I have been "allowed" to get the Z32 MAF Piping done, and to get a new exhaust because the 3" straight-through is WAY too loud.

Other than that - the Max is staying as she is. 339hp,285tq.....I had hoped to hit 350hp by the end, but it's just not meant to happen. (Unless the Z32 MAF miraculously tunes my car so well I gain more hp)

No more toys. No more modding.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:09 PM

Well congrats on deciding to have a kid! And as for your car, I think 339hp is more than enough for a max! Your max is just plain sick the way it is...
Old 06-14-2004, 10:09 PM

by the time they hit preschool, you'll be back in the game
Old 06-14-2004, 10:24 PM

congrats man and that is very admerable and strange I think espacially if ur wife is very carrer oriented.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:56 AM
Conecarver

Moddins great and makes for a good drive home but it doesn't help after a long day at work. Last night I came home to find my girl crawling into a kitchen cabinet which she then closed behind her. After a few seconds she opened it, peaked out, and smiled. Two loves of my life are better than one
Old 06-15-2004, 04:26 AM

Damn your car has a lot of HP!

"by the time they hit preschool, you'll be back in the game" By then he'll probably have another kid. Then you've got vacations, going out to eat costing twice as much, gifts for them, etc. I predict that he will quickly lose interest in modding - especially when the money isn't there

Our first is on the way. Two months left
Old 06-15-2004, 04:41 AM

I'm in the same boat as you Ian, only I have to save for a wedding, kids won't be for a few years at least. To be honest, I find myself with a lot more free time now that I've stopped the modding. Now I can just clean the car and show it, nothing to really work on.
Good luck with the house and the kids!!

-Tony
Old 06-15-2004, 07:04 AM

And as I said in another thread today: " I have a bridge for sale." I thought you said no more modding every 2 months, although, perhaps this time its for real, LOL! The cheque is in the mail!
Old 06-15-2004, 08:25 AM

you say you have 339 horses what do u have besides the sc to get that many horses and did u have to do anything to your transmission
Old 06-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Congrats, My lil one will be hear in ~ 6 weeks, scared to death I am
Old 06-15-2004, 09:07 AM

Congrats, Ian, that is awesome!
I agree that what you are doing is admirable. So is your wife wanting to stay home with your child and not work. Not many women want to do that now, and not many families can afford for them to do that.
Good luck in all your house stuff.....(I am getting there soon) and with the new baby-to-be.

Huge Props on your Max. It is gorgeous and unbelievably fast!
Old 06-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally Posted by iansw
Well, the wife has decided it's time we make some little Ian's to go out and corrupt the world.
I hope you want children too. It's a big step. If you're not ready and she is, then she should just wait.

To do this I must move out of my place and buy a bigger place to compensate for the extra little person that will be coming in the next year or so.
How small is your place? As long as you have two bedrooms, it's no biggie. As long as the child has their own room why move?

Also, the wifey doesn't want to work - she wants to stay home with the kiddies. I think that's actually admirable in this day and age.
You'll love having the wife at home because you'll be amazed at how much get done around the house. My wife is massage therapist and works at home. She only does 6-8 massages a week therefore she has a ton of free time to clean and do the shopping. She doesn't make a lot of money, but it sure is nice to have things clean and done when I come home from work. Having a stay at home mom with also save you a bundle in child care. It's not uncommon for people to pay $200-300 a week for child care. Some areas of the US are even higher.

So - being a single-income family soon means that I have to start saving up now for a house.
Don't stretch yourself thin and get into big house payments. That kid is going to cost you some bank. Again, if you really don't need the space then don't consider getting a new house unless you really need it. If you have a one bedroom apartment or a apartment with loud neighbors then yes, I'd consider moving.

I'm kind of in the same boat. My wife is 4.5 months along with our first child. She hasn't told me I can't continue to play around with my car, but I know it would be stupid to start throwing cash into toys for my car right now. I'm totally focused on fixing everything on my house and her car before the baby arrives in October. Stuff is getting expensive. I bought new tires (which was my drag radials money) for her Legacy GT wagon, replaced the belts and a couple gaskets along with the spark plug wires, did some exterior work on the house, put down a new kitchen floor, and I'm considering putting in some new coutertops. On top of that my wife wanted a midwife so we could do an out of hospital birth. The midwife was $3500 which isn't covered by my HMO. And last weekend we ordered a crib, baby dresser with changing table, a playpen, and high chair. Yeah, this months credit card bill is going to hurt. I don't make much money either hence the reason I'm still driving a 96 Maxima and I'm 30.

Good luck.

Word of advice if you want to plant the seed quickly. Do it every other day. No more, no less. Yes, it will almost be like a second job trying to make time for it if you work fulltime. My wife and I tried for 6 months doing it on a rather irregular schedule. Then a coworker suggested every other day because it worked for him and a bunch of people he knows. Within one month the deal was done. Every other day let's your sperm count rise and her plumbing gets acclimated to all the sperm on a regular basis. Also, no more playing with yourself until the job is done

Dave
Old 06-15-2004, 11:32 AM

Once again, thanks Dad!
ha ha ha

I am just giving you a hard time, Dave B. Good stuff to hear.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:37 PM

dude your modded enough
Old 06-15-2004, 12:58 PM

yeah, I can only dream of being like that with my Max.
That will never happen though, because I don't think I will every throw that much money into it.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:47 PM

So no more modding. I have been "allowed" to get the Z32 MAF Piping done, and to get a new exhaust because the 3" straight-through is WAY too loud.

Other than that - the Max is staying as she is. 339hp,285tq.....I had hoped to hit 350hp by the end, but it's just not meant to happen. (Unless the Z32 MAF miraculously tunes my car so well I gain more hp)

That's how its been for me for the last year. I actually bought my house and got married before I really did anything to the car. Now that my daughter is a year old, I have more time for my car.

My wife still stays home with the kids but she joined a gym so she gets out of the house. Good luck with everything and let me know if you want to buy a couple of things from me for the kid. PM me for the details (My wife keeps asking me when am I going to get rid of the stuff).
Old 06-15-2004, 02:42 PM
Banned

i... im speachless... you guys make me feel like im 12 jesus.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:43 PM

Kind of funny, some people dream of having a max like yours, as much fun as that would be I would prefer a situation like yours, lol. Being almost 24 and single dont exactally see wife/kids anytime in the future, though I love kids and want both Its good to here you setting your priorities though if you are considering having a baby and also for your wife wanting to stay home, my hats off to you. And as much as you may miss modding at times I think the baby/wife will more then make up for it.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Think of it as a mod for your wife.

Wait, no...
Old 06-15-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Kids........... have a million of 'em.

Hey now you can use your car for what Nissan intended. A family car. Crap that reminds me my sis is due anytime....uncle here I come.

Good luck to all the soon to be dads.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dave B
I hope you want children too. It's a big step. If you're not ready and she is, then she should just wait.
I totally want kids - just a little scared of having someone 100% depend on me for the next 18 years. Like my Dad said (he raised 10 of us) - you're never really ready - you just feel like it's time and do it - then learn from there.

How small is your place? As long as you have two bedrooms, it's no biggie. As long as the child has their own room why move?
600 sq ft, 1 small bedroom - $1100 a month. Welcome to Seattle. (I know you guys in NYC and SF have it even worse>

You'll love having the wife at home because you'll be amazed at how much get done around the house. My wife is massage therapist and works at home. She only does 6-8 massages a week therefore she has a ton of free time to clean and do the shopping. She doesn't make a lot of money, but it sure is nice to have things clean and done when I come home from work. Having a stay at home mom with also save you a bundle in child care. It's not uncommon for people to pay $200-300 a week for child care. Some areas of the US are even higher.
She wants to stay home. It's her choice. If she wanted to work, we'd do that also. But it does kind of feel scary and good at the same time that she believes in me enough to put her financial life in her hands.

Daycare here is $800-1000 a month.

Don't stretch yourself thin and get into big house payments. That kid is going to cost you some bank. Again, if you really don't need the space then don't consider getting a new house unless you really need it. If you have a one bedroom apartment or a apartment with loud neighbors then yes, I'd consider moving.
For $1100 a month I can get a 3 bedroom - it's 40 miles away and one hell of a commute - I'll probably buy a 3rd Gen or something for the commuting. If I stay local, a 3 bedroom hosue runs around $3200-$3500 a month. (I live and work in Downtown Seattle).

We discussed me getting a job outside of the city, but that's not really an option since I have 40,000 stock option shares that vest in 2 years and the company stock is up 100% in the last 1.5 years and still slowly going up.

It's wiser long term to stay at my current job. If the stock does well, then maybe I can buy a nice G35c and mod that in a few years. Or maybe the R-35 Skyline that's coming to the US.

If it doesn't do well - oh well - that's life. I'm not counting on anything or making any future plans based on it - which is why I'll be getting a smaller house now until that stock is converted to cash in my hand.

I'm kind of in the same boat. My wife is 4.5 months along with our first child. She hasn't told me I can't continue to play around with my car, but I know it would be stupid to start throwing cash into toys for my car right now. I'm totally focused on fixing everything on my house and her car before the baby arrives in October. Stuff is getting expensive. I bought new tires (which was my drag radials money) for her Legacy GT wagon, replaced the belts and a couple gaskets along with the spark plug wires, did some exterior work on the house, put down a new kitchen floor, and I'm considering putting in some new coutertops. On top of that my wife wanted a midwife so we could do an out of hospital birth. The midwife was $3500 which isn't covered by my HMO. And last weekend we ordered a crib, baby dresser with changing table, a playpen, and high chair. Yeah, this months credit card bill is going to hurt. I don't make much money either hence the reason I'm still driving a 96 Maxima and I'm 30.
Exactly. My wife is pretty tolerant of the modding - but I just want more for my kid when it does come around. A slightly bigger place (within reasonable limits financially) and a better home in general. I also want to make sure our future is secure. Modding a car is a big expense when you've gotten to the point I have.

Good luck.
Thanks.

Word of advice if you want to plant the seed quickly. Do it every other day. No more, no less. Yes, it will almost be like a second job trying to make time for it if you work fulltime. My wife and I tried for 6 months doing it on a rather irregular schedule. Then a coworker suggested every other day because it worked for him and a bunch of people he knows. Within one month the deal was done. Every other day let's your sperm count rise and her plumbing gets acclimated to all the sperm on a regular basis. Also, no more playing with yourself until the job is done
If that's work - I'll work right through the weekend, boss!
Old 06-15-2004, 06:44 PM

And to reply to the question about what's in the car - see my Dyno post at the bottom of this link:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=254595

Except that the ACT blew up at the track - I now have a Clutchnet 6-puck Sprung Clutch.

Not to mention the cosmetics...Cefiro Headlights, leather, gauges, lights, etc, etc....

PS: Am I the only one not getting E-Mail responses from the board?
Old 06-15-2004, 11:04 PM

Dude! The ultimate mod- a kid!.. sounds like you have done some good planning so I dont think you will need it, but good luck just in case.

Also- not getting emails either.....
Old 06-16-2004, 06:02 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

If I stay local, a 3 bedroom hosue runs around $3200-$3500 a month. (I live and work in Downtown Seattle).
Remind me never to move to Seattle. I'm paying $630/mo for my 2300 sq/ft 3-bedroom house in southern Kansas City, KS. Granted I put 20% down when I got the house and I've got a 4.1% rate so my payments are low, but there is no way I could afford $3200/mo. I myself don't even take home $3200/mo seeing that I only take home about 62% of my gross $3200/mo house payment in KC would get you into a $600-700K house (new, 5+ bedrooms, 3+ garage, huge lot, exclusive neighborhood) which would get you into neighborhoods like where KC Chiefs players and big shot businessmen live.

This is what you get for $650K in "the" premier neighborhood of the Kanas City, Missouri/Kansas metro:
http://www.reeceandnichols.com/Listi...ort=1&Cookies=

then maybe I can buy a nice G35c and mod that in a few years.
I told my wife I get the next car and it's going to be a G35 sedan. I can only afford used so I'll be looking a 03s. She understands and hopefully I can pick up a G sometime early next year.

Dave
Old 06-16-2004, 06:14 AM
www.autotalk.com

Congrats on deciding to have a kid. I think 339 is plenty for you as is. Goodluck man!
Old 06-16-2004, 06:22 AM
I need a truck

Good luck you in the future. And congrats on the child
Old 06-16-2004, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima10to1
Hey now you can use your car for what Nissan intended. A family car.
oh crap, that's the exact thing that my friends said when i got my i30; "so when are you going to have a wife and kids to drive in your FAMILY car." i'm one step closer buying a place... damn real estate in nyc is hell.

now i just need the girl and kids and i'm set.

congrats to the OP for setting his priorities straight.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TreeFarm
Kind of funny, some people dream of having a max like yours, as much fun as that would be I would prefer a situation like yours, lol. Being almost 24 and single dont exactally see wife/kids anytime in the future, though I love kids and want both Its good to here you setting your priorities though if you are considering having a baby and also for your wife wanting to stay home, my hats off to you. And as much as you may miss modding at times I think the baby/wife will more then make up for it.
Oh man! Enjoy your life while you can! I'm 24 and I'm getting married in exactly 1Month and 1 Week. All I can see is my life flashing before my eyes! (On a side note, it has been good for my max, I keep finding new projects to keep my mind off it!) Anyway's, I love kids and my woman too. But I would have to say give it a couple more years, no need to hurry. You have plenty of time.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:44 AM

BEJAY1 - Thats a cute pic ;-)

MaxGunnaz
Old 06-19-2004, 11:37 AM

Remind me never to move to Seattle. I'm paying $630/mo for my 2300 sq/ft 3-bedroom house in southern Kansas City, KS. Granted I put 20% down when I got the house and I've got a 4.1% rate so my payments are low, but there is no way I could afford $3200/mo. I myself don't even take home $3200/mo seeing that I only take home about 62% of my gross $3200/mo house payment in KC would get you into a $600-700K house (new, 5+ bedrooms, 3+ garage, huge lot, exclusive neighborhood) which would get you into neighborhoods like where KC Chiefs players and big shot businessmen live.

This is what you get for $650K in "the" premier neighborhood of the Kanas City, Missouri/Kansas metro:
http://www.reeceandnichols.com/Listi...ort=1&Cookies=

Dave
Pretty swanky. 650k gets you a small 2 bedroom 1 bath house in my town. And it would not be an 'exclusive' neighborhood. I think that when interest rates start going back up, the whole thing is going to crash. Housing prices have gone up in california 25% in the last year alone. That being said, I wouldn't live anywhere else. *shrug*

Anyway, good luck Ian, sounds like you've got your work cut out for you.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:30 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

hope everything goes well for you, Ian, best of luck
Old 06-19-2004, 06:01 PM

Looks like ian's got to start doing some cheap-azz mods now.

Are you gonna stop hanging around here?
Old 06-19-2004, 06:02 PM

oh and best of luck with anything that you do.

A little too early but...
"It is a wise father that knows his own child."
Old 06-19-2004, 06:09 PM

kids are lifes little tax deductions. thats why i have three. but for thoes who dont know his wife is a very lovely lady who is very supportive of this mans modding addictions. its only right she put her trust in him for the future of the family. kudos! but when she hits 3 months youll be sleeping on the couch ian!! cause thats when the super senses kick in. hehe.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:35 PM

Well - she just didn't KNOW how much I spent on mods before we were married.

Now she sees the bank statements.

I'm sure I'll still be around the .org for a long time. Just no more serious modding.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:56 PM

Oh no not a little rug rat. Good luck man on that. I have a 4 year old. And yes the first couple years are hard for a car enthusiast. I didnt do anything to my car for the first year and a half. And I didnt even live with the mom. Good luck on the baby making though lol. Mine was a one shot one kill deal, more like an opps how did that happen. Funny how someone said you can use your max for the family car it is meant to be. When I bought mine modding wasnt even in my mind. I was a honda guy then lol. Well good luck man youll be back to big time modding soon or youll just take a little bit more time saving up to mod.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:58 AM

Well - the fact that my wife wants to be a stay-at-home Mom is the real killer.

Usually she pays 1/2 the rent. Now I gotta pay for all of it - so the Modding will definately cease. At least at the rate I've been doing it in the past.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Dave

Wow, is there anything he doesen't know?

Remind me never to move to Seattle. I'm paying $630/mo for my 2300 sq/ft 3-bedroom house in southern Kansas City, KS
Then, i don't think you'd like NYC either. I was paying 1/2 of the $1200/month rent for a studio apartment. What you're paying now for that house is what you'd pay for an apartment of the same size out here.

Iansw: good luck with the rug rat. just remember, it's never too early to teach them to install a SC........
Old 06-20-2004, 12:16 PM

Different housing costs in places are kind of nuts, makes me glad to be where I am. I live in a tiny little town and when my sister and husband bought there place here they got a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, with garage, big shop, on about 10 acres of land, cost like 100k, and house only 15 years old or so.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:55 PM

Just remembered this thread.

Went and picked up this a couple of months ago....had to go 40 miles outside of Seattle to be able to afford it. The commute is gonna suck ballz.

Thing was on the market 1 day and had 2 other offers. We only won because we were more flexible on the move-in date.

November 19th, and the 3-car garage is MINE!

Good thing I picked a Real Estate Agent with a G35x.

Quick Reply: No more modding for me....