4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: What should I do to these rims?
Leave them as-is
23.68%
Paint them silver
10.53%
Paint them gunmetal
65.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Look at my new toys!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 04:46 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Look at my new toys!

I have 3 more of these:

Now here is the dilemma. I bought them online and was not aware that that they had a gold-ish hue. The pictures in the ad did not pick it up.

I have considered repainting the spokes and the area around the "BBS" logo on the center cap. I would either do it in gunmetal or silver, but the slightly gold-ish hue is not what I thought it would be. I also considered a bronze color, but I am not sure how that woudl look with the few chrome accents on the I30.

I have tires/rims on my car at this time, so I am not in a huge hurry. If I do the repaint I will do it with the aircraft stripper/basecoat/paint/clearcoat method that was explained by ludacris (the max owner, not the rapper). His rims look really good. I also have my 3rd gen spare rim on which I can practice before making a final decision.

If I paint them, I will leave the polished lip all around the rim. I have a pic of these rims painted up, but they are a slightly different design and are painted black.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:47 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

BTW- The car is a white I30.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:15 AM

paint the gold part gun metal. It will look nice.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah I agree, gunmetal looks badass.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:30 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
I have 3 more of these:

Now here is the dilemma. I bought them online and was not aware that that they had a gold-ish hue. The pictures in the ad did not pick it up.

I have considered repainting the spokes and the area around the "BBS" logo on the center cap. I would either do it in gunmetal or silver, but the slightly gold-ish hue is not what I thought it would be. I also considered a bronze color, but I am not sure how that woudl look with the few chrome accents on the I30.

I have tires/rims on my car at this time, so I am not in a huge hurry. If I do the repaint I will do it with the aircraft stripper/basecoat/paint/clearcoat method that was explained by ludacris (the max owner, not the rapper). His rims look really good. I also have my 3rd gen spare rim on which I can practice before making a final decision.

If I paint them, I will leave the polished lip all around the rim. I have a pic of these rims painted up, but they are a slightly different design and are painted black.

when did u get an I30?! you are moving fast man. I remember when u had the gold max with the 16" aftermarket rims and a drop. Now upgrading rims, got an i30...whats really good
Old 05-14-2004, 05:44 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

I bought Louie(SLCI30t)'s I30 back in february. I was in a wreck in december and whe i go tthe max back I just sold it.

The I30 is a 5MT w/ factory VLSD and all of the goodies. My cardomain page tells all about it- check it out.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:37 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Here is a pic to show an example of where I want to paint, but obviously NOT black and mine will NOT have a "buttoned" lip/rim:

I plan to paint everything from the polished lip in to the chrome "ring" that surrounds the BBS logo. I considered leaving the lug cover silver, but the cover is supposed to look like it is a part of the spokes, and to have it end there would look kind-of funny, IMO.
Old 05-14-2004, 06:57 AM

Hey Pat!
I tried to tell you that my friend that had those wheels on his 92 Q45 and they had a goldish tint. No biggie though. I personally thing they look pretty good.
I would like to see them held up to the car to see what they would look like as is.

I also think they would be really difficult to paint and make them look good. Ludacris did do a good job on his, but there was not near as much detail on his stock wheels as these. I mean, to get it in all of those holes? That is sketchy.

If you are going to paint them, I think if you took your time, they might come out like you are wanting.
I would steer away from the gunmetal though. Although I love the gunmetal, everyone is doing either that or black.
I just think it is overplayed.
I think your idea of the bronze would look pretty cool. What if you photochopped it to see what it would look like in a bronze color? That might be a start.

**Anyone, if Pat does not have photochop, could you help him out with this and show him what they would look like in gunmetal, bronze, and maybe just a graphite color?**

Keep me posted...
Old 05-14-2004, 07:04 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Bruce-

I had looked at the pics and it really did not look like it had the tint to it. I figured that it varied from year to year. Turns out that you were right and I was wrong.

As far as color, I am keeping my options open. I am by no merans a photoshop guy, so if people could visit my homepage and ty to PS something on there in bronze or gunmetal, that would be cool. or even if they could just PS the large rim pic, that would help. I could not care less if a particular color is played out, b/c I never really run into other max/i30 owners in my area. I want to have on my car what I think looks the best to me. I DO want to consider all colors before I pick one, but I will not pick one based on what people around me have. Of course, I appreciate everyone's feedback, so please keep that coming.

As far as painting the rims and it being difficult, I have painted a whole car before. I know that it is a lot different with a spray bomb versus the airgun that I used , but it is the same technique. Plus, I plan to practice on a spare rim that I have. If I am not comfortable with it, I will just leave them as-is or have them done professionally.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:02 AM

Sounds like a good plan.
Sounds like you have everything under control.
BTW, I was not saying that I told you so to rub it in your face, but more to just boost my confidence. ha ha

Bump for ya.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:44 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

are those 16's? what car did they come off of? how much did ya pay? they look good i would go for silver/polished look just because i dont think the gunmetal looks as good on mesh rims
Old 05-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

They are 15 x 7 w/ 36 mm offset. They are RWD rims, so they have a wider offset. That and the 7" width should be a nice stance.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:19 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

sweet i was considering doing that, so those are the i30 rims? they're not too expensive, but i think im gonna do something else down the road instead
Old 05-14-2004, 01:25 PM

You can find some various BBS wheels from those Infiniti's if you just look. Most of them are pretty light, as well as looking cool.

Silver would look good, I agree.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:21 PM
BOSS

nah, gunmetal all the way!

Old 05-14-2004, 07:08 PM

for silver...
Old 05-14-2004, 07:09 PM

BBS are nice, and I'm sure they are lighter.

But the I-30's are alrady pretty busy as far as the body goes. The wheels you have on there now look much better imo.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:08 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by nismos14
sweet i was considering doing that, so those are the i30 rims? they're not too expensive, but i think im gonna do something else down the road instead
No, the I30t has stock BBS that are 15 x 6.5 w/ I BELIEVE 45mm offset. I am sure about the size, just not about the offset.

Page 2 of my website has pics of the OEM I30t rims.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:09 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by ScarfaceTHX
BBS are nice, and I'm sure they are lighter.

But the I-30's are alrady pretty busy as far as the body goes. The wheels you have on there now look much better imo.
Right now I have stock infiniti/BBS rims. The 5-spoke 16" milles are gone. The ride was just too rough on Intrax/AGX and my 225/50/16 tires.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:24 PM

Paint them black and take off the ugly center caps

These are how my buddy's cross lace Trans Am wheels look...I think it looks sweet in black dude.

Old 05-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Thanks for all of the tips, guys.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:32 AM

has anyone come up with any photochop pics for Patrick yet?
I would like to see some too, if anyone could do that.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Since it will be another week or so before I catually DO anything with these, I figure I will give it one more pass through the forum. Right now I am leaning toward a dark gunmetal finish with the polished lip.

I need to figure out what to do with the INSIDE of the rims- should I paint it flat black or strip it and clearcoat it, or just do my best to NOT paint it at all?

I am not sure how to accomplish that...
Old 05-19-2004, 03:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Good project! Can't wait to see how they turn out. My Motegis are in very poor condition too and I am thinking painting then gumetal with polished lip as well, I like it!
Old 05-20-2004, 04:50 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Vlad
Good project! Can't wait to see how they turn out. My Motegis are in very poor condition too and I am thinking painting then gumetal with polished lip as well, I like it!
Are those MR8 rims?

If so, those look really good in gunmetal. Regardless of WHAT they are, I think that they woudl look good.

I have the aircraft stripper and am about to prractice on a spare rim that I have. It is a 3rd gen alloy rim that I had sitting around to use as a full-size spare, so if I mess it up it is not a big deal.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:06 AM
There's never a day when something's not on sale

Gunmetal all the way... gunmetal, gunmetal, gunmetal!!!!!
Old 05-20-2004, 07:15 AM

I'd leave them as is. Those are wheels are classics, it's kinda like repainting a mint '57 Vette to me. Plus I think that color will look good on a white Max. But if you do have the urge to repaint, my vote goes for gold.
-Cyrus
Old 05-20-2004, 07:19 AM

Are those MR8 rims?

If so, those look really good in gunmetal. Regardless of WHAT they are, I think that they woudl look good.
Honestly man I don't know . I got car with them on and never actually bothered to find out what model that was. Here is a pic when I got the car a year ago. Are they MR8?
They are only 16" but look quite massive!
Old 05-20-2004, 08:09 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Vyrus
I'd leave them as is. Those are wheels are classics, it's kinda like repainting a mint '57 Vette to me. Plus I think that color will look good on a white Max. But if you do have the urge to repaint, my vote goes for gold.
-Cyrus
If they were straight silver, I would definately leave them. But that goldish hue makes them look like camry wheels to me.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:27 AM

I do see your point with that.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Vyrus
-Cyrus
That's true but I don't think that style/color wheel works on the max period. You could probably pull off the Gold BBS look on an old Audi, etc... but on the Max/I30 I just don't think it would look right. Painting it a darker color and taking off the center cap would help...but thats just my opinion.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have 3 more of these:

GUNMETAL and POLISHED Lip would look HOT!
what year is your I30? And What are you going to do with your stock wheels?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by MustangX
GUNMETAL and POLISHED Lip would look HOT!
what year is your I30? And What are you going to do with your stock wheels?
What, the stock BBS? They will probably sit in my apartment and p!$$ off my wife.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:33 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

I keep getting post notifications but cannot see them...test
Old 06-14-2004, 10:34 AM

I can see your post.
For this thread, I am not seeing that you posted since 5/20/04...until today.
what is yours doing?
Old 06-14-2004, 04:39 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
I can see your post.
For this thread, I am not seeing that you posted since 5/20/04...until today.
what is yours doing?
Every time I refreshed my profile subscribed CP page, it would say that there was a new post, so I posted here to see if there were posts that were posted but that I could not see...turns out it was just a VB glitch.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:52 PM

paint em gunmetal
Old 06-14-2004, 09:13 PM

dude you cant go wrong with BBS wheels. There among the best.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:46 PM

phenryiv1

I painted my wheel covers silver when I had them and found that silver spray paint is much brighter than the "Silver" on a stock wheel. Stock wheel silver is more Gray.The spray painted silver has a more hyper-silver look to it which is nice.

Now on to the good stuff:

Bright Silver:

GunMetal:

Black: (gloss will still show some reflected highlights)

Bronze:

And my personal favorite.....

I vote for silver as they are classy wheel and deserve a classy treatment.

Show us the results later.

Mr.P
Old 06-14-2004, 09:50 PM

White car with tight bronze rims look soooooo hott! As in Volk TE37's....
If they were more bronze, I'd say leave them, but the goldish hue could be off ...

I love gunmetal with the silver lip on white cars. If you're not experienced with painting, couldn't you just return them ?

Quick Reply: Look at my new toys!