Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Timeslips Members Parts Guide Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read ExperienceUsed CarsGarageVendor Directory
Search

4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2004, 05:20 AM   #1
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 10
recharging the A/C

Hello everyone,

Okay it is HOT as hell these last couple days and I just ran out of A/C
I checked the FAQ's before posting, but I didnt find anything. so I need some help. I bought a recharging kit, but I am having trouble finding the correct A/C port to attach the kit to. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
__________________
MustangX
http://www.dynamicfusion.org

--------------------------------------
If it ain't broke, Modify it.
1992 Talon TSI AWD - Race Car - SOLD
1993 Toyota Corolla- Daily
1994 Ford Mustang GT Vert - Weekend car
1999 Maxima SE - PIMP CAR
MustangX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Member

 
Join Date: May 2003
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 518
Points: 8,866, Level: 63
Points: 8,866, Level: 63 Points: 8,866, Level: 63 Points: 8,866, Level: 63
Activity: 2.4%
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
You need to charge into the low pressure port. Follow the metal AC hose. Along the way you will see a tap with a plastic cap on. There is a letter molded on the plastic cap. The one with the letter L is the low pressure port. The high pressure port has an H. They are different size anyway, you probably won't be able to plug in the wrong port.
UncleMax98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 09:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
iTrader: (2)
Posts: 4,237
Do the 99's run on that new system that everything was converting to a little while back? I was kind of assuming this because you were going to do this yourself. I don't know though.
I just remember, I used to use that Freon, but they made it where you could not buy it anymore.
__________________

15.15 @ 92.7 MPH <~~~~~1st time at Track.
B R U C E
Brudaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
Donating Maxima.org Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 188

Yes, the 99's run on the new stuff. I have a small leake some where and have to add a can of freon once a year. Easy to recharge, because the hose will only fit on the low pressure side. I believe it has the blue cap.
Pearl99GXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 10:01 AM   #5
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMax98
You need to charge into the low pressure port. Follow the metal AC hose. Along the way you will see a tap with a plastic cap on. There is a letter molded on the plastic cap. The one with the letter L is the low pressure port. The high pressure port has an H. They are different size anyway, you probably won't be able to plug in the wrong port.

Thanks dudes,

I'll try it tonight.... Freaking HOT and leather is not cool...
__________________
MustangX
http://www.dynamicfusion.org

--------------------------------------
If it ain't broke, Modify it.
1992 Talon TSI AWD - Race Car - SOLD
1993 Toyota Corolla- Daily
1994 Ford Mustang GT Vert - Weekend car
1999 Maxima SE - PIMP CAR
MustangX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:28 AM   #6
192.168.1.1

 
gtr_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
iTrader: (50)
Posts: 17,657
Points: 37,220, Level: 100
Points: 37,220, Level: 100 Points: 37,220, Level: 100 Points: 37,220, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
I like the link, in your sig
gtr_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 02:00 PM   #7
Hooooooonda.....

 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chiiiii
iTrader: (2)
Posts: 8,106
Points: 14,320, Level: 77
Points: 14,320, Level: 77 Points: 14,320, Level: 77 Points: 14,320, Level: 77
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I hope you bought a kit that has a gauge on it. If you just have the hose and can you can overcharge the system and boom. You don't know whtether the system is completely empty or not. Better safe than sorry. Also if you accidently connect it to the HIGH pressure port the can explodes.
DAVE Sz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #8
Jedi Knight

 
nupe500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
iTrader: (13)
Posts: 4,616
Points: 15,364, Level: 80
Points: 15,364, Level: 80 Points: 15,364, Level: 80 Points: 15,364, Level: 80
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to nupe500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed95
So how exactly does the procedure go? I'm assuming it's a pressurized bottle. So you just connect the hose and squirt the stuff in?

Just did this on my max...and what you do is first check what your levels are by using the gauge on the low side (as already mentioned). Just a precaution. Once you've done so...you connect your can of freon to the provided hose, and connect other end to the Low side again.

once connected...you turn the piercer...which pierces the can of freon, and then unscrew it to let the freon flow...once that starts, keep shaking the can..actually it is advised to get a warm towel to wrap the can in because it can get cold real quick...but continue shaking...until the can is empty...

BTW...the CAR MUST BE RUNNING AND THE AC MUST BE ON!!!!!...takes maybe 30 minutes with two cans...fully emptying the cans...
__________________
Boondocks Wrote: Could you repeat that again? I couldn't hear you over sh*ttin myself


www.greekfamilyaffairs.com
nupe500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 02:39 PM   #9
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 1,469
Send a message via AIM to RI-Max
um if your ac is blowing warm air and your compressor is clicking on 2 off fast it means your low on freeon. also means u have a leak some where in the system..and if u over charge it you'll free the evaportaor.
RI-Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 02:48 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 161
My AC blows warm air. I couldn't tell you how it was last summer because I didn't have it then. Either on defrost or AC I get a hissing noise from the passenger dash area. Sign of a leak??
boyzindahood978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 04:37 PM   #11
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 10
Ahhhhhh

Ahhh nothing like cold A/C on a hot summer day.
I ended up buying a gauge to check the pressure.
The low A/C port is located near the P/S resevoir it is light blue cap marked "L"

Thanks again guys.
__________________
MustangX
http://www.dynamicfusion.org

--------------------------------------
If it ain't broke, Modify it.
1992 Talon TSI AWD - Race Car - SOLD
1993 Toyota Corolla- Daily
1994 Ford Mustang GT Vert - Weekend car
1999 Maxima SE - PIMP CAR
MustangX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 05:38 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 25
where to get the kit?

I am in ontario canada, they dont sell the kits here I am told, lokking at 250.00 just to check and charge the system. My compressor runs but blows hot air, guessing its a slow leak, was warmer last year than the year before. The car is a 99 gle, can you run freon in this year or does it have to be the new stuff? If I can run freon, where can I get some, thks.
radar912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 07:40 PM   #13
Hooooooonda.....

 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chiiiii
iTrader: (2)
Posts: 8,106
Points: 14,320, Level: 77
Points: 14,320, Level: 77 Points: 14,320, Level: 77 Points: 14,320, Level: 77
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

It is the new stuff. R134 or whatever it's called has been used for a long time already. Unless there is some new thing I haven't heard of yet use the r134 charge kits.
DAVE Sz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 09:37 PM   #14
Always sunny in philly

 
Nismotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
iTrader: (25)
Posts: 5,243
Points: 14,793, Level: 78
Points: 14,793, Level: 78 Points: 14,793, Level: 78 Points: 14,793, Level: 78
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Good thread for the upcoming heat. I'll be doing this during the weekend
__________________

It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.
Nismotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:28 AM   #15
Jedi Knight

 
nupe500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
iTrader: (13)
Posts: 4,616
Points: 15,364, Level: 80
Points: 15,364, Level: 80 Points: 15,364, Level: 80 Points: 15,364, Level: 80
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to nupe500
R134 is the standard since early 90s so it applies to all cars...as far as the clicks or hissing that some are getting that is likely your compressor turning itself on...I hear mine once in a while and my AC is cold!!
nupe500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 04:18 AM   #16
Super Moderator

 
Stephen Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
iTrader: (59)
Posts: 5,874
Points: 21,445, Level: 92
Points: 21,445, Level: 92 Points: 21,445, Level: 92 Points: 21,445, Level: 92
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D
I hope you bought a kit that has a gauge on it. If you just have the hose and can you can overcharge the system and boom. You don't know whtether the system is completely empty or not. Better safe than sorry. Also if you accidently connect it to the HIGH pressure port the can explodes.

The fittings for the high side and low side are different size. You would have to be pretty ingenious to figure out a way to connect the can to the high pressure side using the typical cheapo refill kit.
Stephen Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 04:40 AM   #17
Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2001
iTrader: (1)
Posts: 46
Points: 8,671, Level: 62
Points: 8,671, Level: 62 Points: 8,671, Level: 62 Points: 8,671, Level: 62
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Question, if you need to add freon, does this mean there is definitely a leak somewhere, or is this something that generally needs to be added once or twice in the car's lifetime? I had to add some too, but this is the first time I've had to do this on my '96.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 05:20 AM   #18
Super Moderator

 
Stephen Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
iTrader: (59)
Posts: 5,874
Points: 21,445, Level: 92
Points: 21,445, Level: 92 Points: 21,445, Level: 92 Points: 21,445, Level: 92
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner
Question, if you need to add freon, does this mean there is definitely a leak somewhere, or is this something that generally needs to be added once or twice in the car's lifetime? I had to add some too, but this is the first time I've had to do this on my '96.
If you ever need to add feon it's because some has leaked out. Every automotive AC system will develop leaks at the o-rings eventually. If all it takes is a can every summer to recharge the system, it's not worth (IMO) going in and replacing the leaking o-rings, unless you have an R-12 system.
Stephen Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 05:53 AM   #19
Senior Member

 
Join Date: May 2003
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 518
Points: 8,866, Level: 63
Points: 8,866, Level: 63 Points: 8,866, Level: 63 Points: 8,866, Level: 63
Activity: 2.4%
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Do we need to add oil along with the refrigerant? Maybe every third can or so? What kind of refrigerant? Autozone has many types, POE, PAG 46, PAG 110, etc.
UncleMax98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 06:33 AM   #20
Super Moderator

 
Stephen Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
iTrader: (59)
Posts: 5,874
Points: 21,445, Level: 92
Points: 21,445, Level: 92 Points: 21,445, Level: 92 Points: 21,445, Level: 92
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMax98
Do we need to add oil along with the refrigerant? Maybe every third can or so? What kind of refrigerant? Autozone has many types, POE, PAG 46, PAG 110, etc.
Oil will not leak out as easily as the freon, and probably doesn't ever need to be added unless you have a massive leak, such as when completely disconnecting a line with the system pressurized. Then the force of the freon escaping can take oil with it.

You can add oil if you want, but it takes up space that could be used for freon and your AC efficiency will suffer.
Stephen Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 06:46 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
iTrader: (2)
Posts: 4,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by nupe500
R134 is the standard since early 90s so it applies to all cars...as far as the clicks or hissing that some are getting that is likely your compressor turning itself on...I hear mine once in a while and my AC is cold!!
This has not been standard since the early 90's in cars. It has been standard since about the late 90's (maybe back to 96, 97). I agree with the comments on the compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar912
I am in ontario canada, they dont sell the kits here I am told, lokking at 250.00 just to check and charge the system. My compressor runs but blows hot air, guessing its a slow leak, was warmer last year than the year before. The car is a 99 gle, can you run freon in this year or does it have to be the new stuff? If I can run freon, where can I get some, thks.
You cannot even buy the old kind of "freon" anymore, I don't believe. They made it illegal and you now have to convert it over. Something about it harming the environment or something.
Brudaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:11 AM   #22
Jedi Knight

 
nupe500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
iTrader: (13)
Posts: 4,616
Points: 15,364, Level: 80
Points: 15,364, Level: 80 Points: 15,364, Level: 80 Points: 15,364, Level: 80
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to nupe500
[QUOTE=Brudaddy]This has not been standard since the early 90's in cars. It has been standard since about the late 90's (maybe back to 96, 97). I agree with the comments on the compressor.

You are correct...my bad..

"Their manufacture is being discontinued as of January 1, 1996! R-12 is a CFC and often referred to as CFC-12."

funny thing is my 95 is R-134a..
nupe500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:17 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
iTrader: (2)
Posts: 4,237
Well, Nissan was ahead of other manufacturers for a while in a lot of things. For instance, Maximas and other Nissans were getting 4 wheel disc brakes long before some other makes. I mean, I sold Chryslers last year, and the base model PT Cruiser still had rear drum brakes. That sucks.

Either that, or someone that had the car before you converted it knowing that everything was going that way.
Brudaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:25 AM   #24
Hooooooonda.....

 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chiiiii
iTrader: (2)
Posts: 8,106
Points: 14,320, Level: 77
Points: 14,320, Level: 77 Points: 14,320, Level: 77 Points: 14,320, Level: 77
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Max
The fittings for the high side and low side are different size. You would have to be pretty ingenious to figure out a way to connect the can to the high pressure side using the typical cheapo refill kit.
Every can of r134 has that warning on it so apparently there are some dumb asses out there that can get that done.
DAVE Sz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 76
Every new car sold in the US since the 1993 model year uses R-134A as required by law; Some manufacturers starting using it earlier, but I don't think Nissan did...

You can still buy R-12, although I don't think it is made anymore; and most shops will still be able to service older systems - the refrigerant is just really expensive - likely >$50 a lb versus ~$6-10 per lb for R-134A.
jguillory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 01:38 PM   #26
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Waterloo, Canada
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 325
Points: 9,634, Level: 65
Points: 9,634, Level: 65 Points: 9,634, Level: 65 Points: 9,634, Level: 65
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
There's not much info for max owners on a/c service. I'm putting together a complete reference and a how-to that will be finished in early July when I overhaul my a/c.

A couple of pointers for people using the can:
1. The low pressure side gauge is pretty much useless because our compressor is a variable displacement unit that tries to maintain a constant low side value. If you don't have a set of pressure gauges that can measure the high and low side pressures, your best bet is to measure the outlet vent temperature in the cabin.

2. DON'T TURN THE CAN UPSIDE DOWN. If you have done that and nothing bad happened, you're lucky! The compressor can only accept refrigerant as a gas, not a liquid. If liquid is introduced into the compressor you might end up busting it for good, just like me.

3. Don't use ANY can with stop leak in it. The reasons are covered here.

These cans are generally not a good idea and they're called a death rig for a reason - but when a/c repairs are so expensive it's pretty hard to talk yourself out of shoving a can in there to see what happens. Like I say, been there myself.
davey6693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 08:01 PM   #27
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Santa Clara, CA 95054
iTrader: (1)
Posts: 973
Points: 8,561, Level: 62
Points: 8,561, Level: 62 Points: 8,561, Level: 62 Points: 8,561, Level: 62
Activity: 0.4%
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey6693
There's not much info for max owners on a/c service. I'm putting together a complete reference and a how-to that will be finished in early July when I overhaul my a/c.

A couple of pointers for people using the can:
1. The low pressure side gauge is pretty much useless because our compressor is a variable displacement unit that tries to maintain a constant low side value. If you don't have a set of pressure gauges that can measure the high and low side pressures, your best bet is to measure the outlet vent temperature in the cabin.

2. DON'T TURN THE CAN UPSIDE DOWN. If you have done that and nothing bad happened, you're lucky! The compressor can only accept refrigerant as a gas, not a liquid. If liquid is introduced into the compressor you might end up busting it for good, just like me.

3. Don't use ANY can with stop leak in it. The reasons are covered here.

These cans are generally not a good idea and they're called a death rig for a reason - but when a/c repairs are so expensive it's pretty hard to talk yourself out of shoving a can in there to see what happens. Like I say, been there myself.
Phew glad I read that post!
Spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:32 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
iTrader: (2)
Posts: 4,237
yeah, thanks, davey.
Good post.
Brudaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 03:57 AM   #29
Super Moderator

 
Stephen Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
iTrader: (59)
Posts: 5,874
Points: 21,445, Level: 92
Points: 21,445, Level: 92 Points: 21,445, Level: 92 Points: 21,445, Level: 92
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillory
You can still buy R-12, although I don't think it is made anymore; and most shops will still be able to service older systems - the refrigerant is just really expensive - likely >$50 a lb versus ~$6-10 per lb for R-134A.
I just bought 3 14 oz cans of R-12 for $60 this week. My mechanic friend charges $100 per can!!!

R-12 is not being made in the US and most industrialized countries. But it is still being made elsewhere. China, no doubt.
Stephen Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 03:57 AM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Maxima.org Forums Home Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Frequently Asked Questions on the Forums Search Find other members Registration is free! Support Maxima.org! Receive perks and benefits by donating to Maxima.org Questions? Comments?  Suggestions? Contact Us! Visit our Sponsors View and submit Maxima events Log Out of Maxima.org
Emails Backup

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.2