4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hard Starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 11:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hard Starting

I Have Trouble Starting My Car And Its Not Sjust When I Haven't Run The Car For A While. It's All The Time. But Once It Starts It Runs Smooth. Any Suggestions?
Old 04-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks For The Help
Old 04-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have the same problem. replaced both crankshaft position sensors, camshaft position sensor, coolant temperature sensor. Nothing.
Have yet to test the coil packs and injectors. I'm clueless.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:37 PM

starter is common. Replaced it twice.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:18 PM

I have a 98, and I"m going through the same problem. I took it to the dealer and have replaced the crank postion sensor, battery, starter, rerouted ground from engine and transmission to frame, and the dealer is stumped. I'm $1000 into it now, and the car still won't start. I called the NIssan Corp, and explained how much money went into it, they looked into it, and will pay for the parts and I have to pay for discounted labor for them to replace the wire harness.

The Symptoms:
three months ago i noticed a split hesitation to start. I gave it a tune up, spark plugs and fuel filter. It still did not fix the problem. It slowly got worse until finally it wouldn't start at all.

I SUGGEST THAT EVERYONE THAT HAS THIS PROBLEM CONTACT THE NISSAN CORPORATION TO LET THEM KNOW THE PROBLEM, IT MAY CAUSE A RECALL. 1-800-NISSAN1
Old 04-29-2004, 05:43 PM

same problem happened to me everytime the engine was cold, then it got worse... but after i got the car started it would run perfect.. so 1day i decided to check the fuses under the dash.. and i saw that the "start sig" i believe fuse was blown it's a 7.5A... after i replaced it, i have never had a problem starting my max. just check it out
Old 04-29-2004, 05:44 PM

same problem happened to me everytime the engine was cold, then it got worse... but after i got the car started it would run perfect.. so 1day i decided to check the fuses under the dash.. and i saw that the "start sig" i believe fuse was blown it's a 7.5A... after i replaced it, i have never had a problem starting my max. just check it out
Old 04-29-2004, 07:36 PM

I checked all the fuses.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:10 PM

You know i have had the same problem but mine was different. I would have to start it by pressing the button for the starter and holding it(I'm a 5spd) with my finger. It gets annoying when it's hot in the car or embrassing when friends are in the car. I don't know what to do.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:03 AM

I'm having the same problems as you guys have mentioned. The car cranks but doesn't start. But when the car actually starts after multiple attempts, it runs fine. I have to sometimes hold the accelerater down while cranking to get it started and alot of black smoke emits from the exhaust, meaning that i have unburnt fuel going through. I checked the POS and REF crank sensors to check if it was a spark problem and I don't believe that is the problem. I took it to a shop and they are saying that I might have bad or leaking injectors which may be causing the bad start. But i want to get a second opinion because that is a costly repair. If anyone finds out specifically what the problem is, please post.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:23 AM

I'm having similar issues. i took apart the starter last night and cleaned out all the old, dingy grease from the planetary gears inside it.
now the starter cranks a little better and it starts a little sooner, but it still isn't what i would call easy to start. Haynes manual said to check the neutral position sensor (that big *** plug on the bottom of the tranny) because that can cause hard starts. well i noticed that the wire was mashed and one of the wires in the bundle was almost cut through. i must have pinched it dropping the tranny last year and the winter's worth of salt corroded the remaining strands of copper enough to mess it up. when i get home tonite, i'm gonna try to patch the wire since i don't feel like spending $25 more on the sensor and doing the whole drain the gear oil and refill thing. i'll post if anything improves.
BTW threw a knock sensor ghost code and will replace when it arrives.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:33 PM

do you think that it would be due to the throttle body being dirty?
Old 04-30-2004, 01:56 PM
slackass

i also have the cranks but doesnt start. My max died on me while i was driving and it never restarted. I had to get towed 1/4 of a mile to my house. I replaced the MAF and nothing. any help would be nice.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:59 PM

I have the same problem. I replaced my plugs. I only have a problem when it gets cold out. My starter sounds fine. You guys suggest replacing it as the way to fix it?
Old 04-30-2004, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Xtremeracer
I took it to a shop and they are saying that I might have bad or leaking injectors which may be causing the bad start. But i want to get a second opinion because that is a costly repair. If anyone finds out specifically what the problem is, please post.

Leaking injectors? Hmm. I only have 79k on my car that sounds like it would be a little bit too soon.

Here's my thoughts. When it's colder(as in my problems) metal expands and contracts. There is probably something (I dunno what it is) possibly the starter solenoid itself which is somehow crammed against something when it's colder.

Another thing, the manual didn't mention it, but do you have to gap your plugs?

I replaced my plugs a while ago, and it seemed to correct the problem until now. In fact my car sat overnight. It snowed last night. Took a couple of cranks before I went to lunch last night around 12:30....then about 5 hours later, it didn't want to start.

It's only an issue when it's cold. I don't quite get it.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:21 PM
4th Gen Parts King

i have the same problem where my car cranks but won't start if i leave it sit for a little while. i have found the problem to be fuel related. what is happening on my car is the fuel system is not staying primed so there is no fuel until it gets pressurized again. so its either my fuel pressure regulator, check valve or mu fuel pump isn't worth crap.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yea i had the same problem with my car and i took it to the nissan place and they did a system dignostic test on it and they said that the sparkplugs were bad and i had to replace and something else i forgot. After i got it back from the shop it was fine never have a starting problem anymore :P so maybe thats the problem
Old 04-30-2004, 03:54 PM

it seems like we all have the same problems but know one knows what the exact problem is.

The problems i am having with the max is that the ignition is ******* up. I turn the key and nothing but if i wiggle it, it will turn on. Weird.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:15 PM

I called the NIssan Corp, and explained how much money went into it, they looked into it, and will pay for the parts and I have to pay for discounted labor for them to replace the wire harness.

has anyone called nissan corporatin ? 1-800-nissan1
Old 04-30-2004, 06:24 PM

That happens to me. I just pump the gas once before i start. That usually helps
Old 04-30-2004, 07:10 PM

Since i changed my 96 5spd to a 97 and changed the starter ive had the same problems. It will try to turn over but not start, like its not getting gas or something. Im going to run some diagnostics on it this weekend, Ill write a follow-up, as i hope everyone else will because i look like a complete rook when my max wont turn over wehn i ask it to.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:00 PM

I also have the same problem. First the o2 sensor went bad and I heard terrible squealing at start up. I replaced the sensor and tensioned the belt. No more performance problems or squealing but now I can definitely notice a hesitation before starting.

It feels like the way it does when your battery doesn't have quite enough juice to run the starter so you have to hold the key for 2-3 or 4 seconds. I really have no idea.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:59 PM
slackass

i read thru theses a couple times and we are all haveing trouble starting but i think some of us have different problems.

fanaticrockford I think we have the same issue. It cranks but it just doesnt feel like its getting fuel at all. If you get anywhere with that let me know.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:10 PM

I had similar problems. The car wouldnt start Id have to give it alot of gas and then it would start. It just got to the point where the car just would not start. I checked everything, coils, all the sensors, clean the TB. Then I decided to take the starter to autozone, have them check it, and they told me it was bad. I had bench tested it home but just took make sure. I bought a new starter replaced it and the car just turned on like nothing. that happened a couple months ago, since that time the car has been starting like new. I suggest getting your starter checked, its free, so you might want to try that first instead of wasting money on other parts.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by puppetmastermg
That happens to me. I just pump the gas once before i start. That usually helps
Pumping the gas or stepping on your gas peddel before you start your car does absolutely nothing to a fuel injected engine.

There's a web site called "How things work" which might provide you with some educational reading material. Also reading your owners manual or even a service manual will help you understand how fuel injection systems work. It may also help you understand and diagnoss problems with your car much easier and accurately.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:33 AM

Have people had good luck with aftermarket starters? I replaced my starter with aftermarket 6 months ago and it went bad. I just got it replaced under warranty with another aftermarket... It's amazing what a new starter does. Car turns on within 1/2 a second!
Old 05-01-2004, 07:23 AM

Are generic starters from Autozone any good?
Old 05-01-2004, 07:40 AM
slackass

from previous threads ive seen, The generic starters from autozone, advanced auto, pep boys, etc are all rebuilds. other people have had problems with rebuilds because some of the starters had fit issues. so the rebuilds caused problems. Id search if i could.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:43 AM
slackass

ok so ive replaced 1 of the Crankshaft position sensors and the MAF and still no starting. anyone know which of the CPS sensors goes with the 0905 code. my luck with a 50/50 shot i guessed wrong.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:57 AM

wow looks like all the 4gs are breakin down... im having a similar problem now starting. it kinda sputters, and sometimes it just barely starts... and other times it will wont at all. if that happens, usually i just give it a little gas while its starting, and its okay. i cleaned the tb the other day and its still not working.

i do have these check engine codes though
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=305944

ya think those could cause it? from what i hear, those problems are relatively harmless... could it be battery? i left my lights on a while ago and needed a boost.

what exactly is meant by 'the car cranks, but doesnt start?'
Old 05-01-2004, 08:02 AM

When my OEM starter died I replaced it with one from Autozone. So far I have not had any problems. I also have the hard starting issue but mine doesn't seem to be as bad as some here. Sometimes mine just takes longer than usual to start. It never sputters or dies it just takes a while to crank up sometimes. I also replaced my coolant temp sensor but it didn't fix anything.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:52 AM
slackass

from what i recall...since it was only starters from some cars, it was hit or miss when you get a bad rebuild.

if anyone has more definitive information please share.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:12 AM

wow, guys, if our cars got recalled, that would be a bummer.
anyways.....when i start my car, i get a whining sound right before it starts.
is that one of the symptoms?
Old 05-01-2004, 12:46 PM

Well it's been two days since I've driven my car, and it still sits in my work parking lot. However, the weather is better, I am hoping it will start today.

I am still convinced mine is cold-weather related. It starts fine in warm weather but doesn't like to start in cold weather.

Let me ask you guys your driving habits?

I don't shift a high RPM too often, but I do from time to time.

I'm still going with something being jammed up from the metal contraction of cold weather theory.

Do you guys think a bad ground might possibily cause harder starting? If the metal flexs? Hmm..
Old 05-02-2004, 07:06 PM

anyone have more experiences to share?

these are the possible fixes ive collected from the thread:
Clean/replace Starter http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/516

tune up, spark plugs and fuel filter

check the fuses under the dash.. and i saw that the "start sig" i believe fuse was blown it's a 7.5A...

replaced both crankshaft position sensors, camshaft position sensor, coolant temperature sensor. Have yet to test the coil packs and injectors.

Haynes manual said to check the neutral position sensor (that big *** plug on the bottom of the tranny) because that can cause hard starts
Old 05-02-2004, 10:07 PM

car hesitates to turn on when its cold

my car turns on fine during the day and when its cold and when i get into my car and turn the ignition it cranks but it doesnt turn on. I started figuring this out when it was getting cold at nights beacuse when it would be warm at nights it wouldnt do this. Happen to me 2 nights in a row.Had to on and off cranking till it turned on..Dunno what the problem is...
Old 05-02-2004, 11:21 PM

Possibly the ignition switch? i had that problem when i first bought the car with hard starting, ended up being the switch and the starter. might want to have that checked out.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:25 PM

The tow-truck guy towed my car today. He said all Maximas have this problem. He said something about the clutch, being eletrically assisted, and that it was most likely the cause. Apparently it gets stuck or continues to drain power somehow.

Are all you guys 5-speeds? Or does this happen on autos?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:47 PM

my max is an auto 96 GLE with 116K..

when i was having the starting problem a few months back, i would have to give it gas to start it up when the engine was cold.. then it started to get worse so i was thing my starter was going bad.

Like i said in a previous post to this thread, I changed out the 7.5A fuse for the starter under the dash and i haven't had a problem since..
Old 05-03-2004, 06:26 PM

I have an automatic and I've had starting trouble, especially on the first start of the morning. I replaced my fuel filter and cleaned the throttle body and now it starts perfectly every time.

Quick Reply: Hard Starting