4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Antenna replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 04:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Antenna replacement

Gentleman---Could somebody please go into detail on how to remove the stock antenna mast for replacement? I called the company I bought the mast from, and they told me to:

unscrew the nut at the base
turn the radio on and pull it right out.

This isn't working. I got the nut off and can't seem to figure out what is holding the antenna in. I pull and pull but it is not budgeing--even with the radio on and cycled on and off while I pull. Is there something else holding this on?

Thanks

Mark
Old 04-15-2004, 04:40 PM

Should come right out when you have somebody turn on the radio and pull like they said. If not, pull back the carpeting in the trunk and you'll see how the whole assembly comes out, then just take the motor assembly apart. It'll be pretty obvious how to proceed once you get in there.

Just remembered, I think I had to really yank on the base of the antenna with some pliers. It's the part that's free to move around on the new antenna and gets jammed in there pretty good. You'll probably need to take the assembly out to do this. Also, when you get it out make sure the new/old antenna cords are the same length since part of the old one may have broken off inside the motor. if so you'll need to take the motor apart to get the broken part--not hard at all.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:28 PM

I just tried to replace mine last nigt and had the same problem. I followed the instructions but the antenna would not come out no matter how hard I pulled. I'm going to try again tomorrow and let you know if I find out any trick to doing this.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:57 PM

I had the same Problem. note: HAD.
solution: went to a junkyard bought a new motor with the antenna and replaced the whole damn thing.

BTW while trying to remove the stuck antenna I destroyed what was left of the antenna and any chance of removing the antenna from inside the motor.I think because the antenna has being stuck in our cars for so long that they just got extremely stuck to the motor. (making it very hard to remove)

Ok If you can't find A Maximas at a junkyard (with a perfect antenna) then look for any Altimas. their Antennas are exactly the same. except for two small parts.

Here is a how To

1 Save all the parts of your antenna. (when you have all in your hand (both antennas and rubber sections) you will know which ones go in your car and which ones you can throw away.

2 The parts you need to save are the rubber sections at the top of the maxima antenna. Since altimas body shape are different, from the maximas body shape. (where the antenna sits, out)

3 Very important (you need super glue for this)
the only difference between the maximas antenna and the altimas, is a little plastic ***. It is at a 180 degrees (rotating around the metal mast section) from where the maximas *** is. you have to remove this and glue to the other side. (not hard at all). I can't remember right now, but I don't think you are required to glue that piece back, you can just remove it.

PS When I was at the juskyard unscrewing the antenna off the altima motor; the whole antenna came right off, and I was left with a perfectly good motor on the altima. So I took the motor with me, and worked on that.

I hope every one understands what I did, I will try to take some pictures of the antenna motor, off my car. (maybe later).

Gui
Old 04-15-2004, 06:53 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

Originally Posted by Guinader
I had the same Problem. note: HAD.
solution: went to a junkyard bought a new motor with the antenna and replaced the whole damn thing.

BTW while trying to remove the stuck antenna I destroyed what was left of the antenna and any chance of removing the antenna from inside the motor.I think because the antenna has being stuck in our cars for so long that they just got extremely stuck to the motor. (making it very hard to remove)

Ok If you can't find A Maximas at a junkyard (with a perfect antenna) then look for any Altimas. their Antennas are exactly the same. except for two small parts.

Here is a how To

1 Save all the parts of your antenna. (when you have all in your hand (both antennas and rubber sections) you will know which ones go in your car and which ones you can throw away.

2 The parts you need to save are the rubber sections at the top of the maxima antenna. Since altimas body shape are different, from the maximas body shape. (where the antenna sits, out)

3 Very important (you need super glue for this)
the only difference between the maximas antenna and the altimas, is a little plastic ***. It is at a 180 degrees (rotating around the metal mast section) from where the maximas *** is. you have to remove this and glue to the other side. (not hard at all). I can't remember right now, but I don't think you are required to glue that piece back, you can just remove it.

PS When I was at the juskyard unscrewing the antenna off the altima motor; the whole antenna came right off, and I was left with a perfectly good motor on the altima. So I took the motor with me, and worked on that.

I hope every one understands what I did, I will try to take some pictures of the antenna motor, off my car. (maybe later).

Gui
This procedure should be placed in the "How To's"