4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

will this fit my car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 08:52 PM

will this fit my car?

this is the y-pipe i have and i'm wondering if the stock y-pipe comes apart in two pieces so that i can fit this in. I was told that it did and some people told me that it didn't. Which one is it? I'm confused, help me out. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:47 PM
V^___^V

stock y-pipe is 1 piece. looks like your aftermarket y-pipe is missing a section to the front header. u'll probably have to custom make a section out of it...
Old 03-25-2004, 11:25 PM

well i bought this off of ben99sel and i don't think he has the other part and i'm thinking that making a custom pipe would cost a lot. He fitted this y-pipe into his stock pipe that's connected to the headers. Are 99's that different from 95s? and Battle Max v.2.0 said that it comes apart in two also. I guess the only real way to find out is to uninstall my stock and have a looksie.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:50 AM

well to update, i tried installing it today but failed. I got the stock y-pipe off and we looked at it. It's covered with two layers of heat shield and was spot welded on. I tried prying it off but it was just too much work and we ended up putting the stock back on. And since the stock was covered with heat shield where the pre-cats were, I couldn't see if it came apart in two pieces. I called a muffler shop but they were closed so i gotta take the car in on Monday to see what they can do. Hopefully things'll work out good. Wish me Luck~!
Old 03-28-2004, 08:45 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

um, that's a y-pipe for a cali-spec car, which is why it looks like it's missing that "piece that goes to the front header" as happy pointed out. IF your car has the little curve that's missing off of the front end, then your car is a federal spec y-pipe, and you've got a pipe for a cali-spec car.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by fearthegecko
um, that's a y-pipe for a cali-spec car, which is why it looks like it's missing that "piece that goes to the front header" as happy pointed out. IF your car has the little curve that's missing off of the front end, then your car is a federal spec y-pipe, and you've got a pipe for a cali-spec car.
so i don't understand. Cali-specs don't bend up? So in that pic, that's a WHOLE y-pipe? Because the person i bought it from connected that y-pipe (in the pic) to a part of his stock y-pipe (where it bends up). My car never stepped out of California so I don't think it's a Federal Spec. And I tried using the FAQ's to find out which spec i am, but I don't have the silver plate on the passenger firewall. So if there was another way that i can find out, I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

go to a nissan dealer and give them your VIN athen ask them if it is cali or fed.

BTW my car is 95 cali spec and the y-pipe has the bending all the way up to the headers.

This pipe looks like is from a different header (aftermaket header) or from a different car.

you can custom made a section (like happy... said or maybe just heat and bend the pipe until you get the right angle. (sice the pipe looks the same lenght of any other y-pipe.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by PeTeRtheEaTeR
so i don't understand. Cali-specs don't bend up? So in that pic, that's a WHOLE y-pipe? Because the person i bought it from connected that y-pipe (in the pic) to a part of his stock y-pipe (where it bends up). My car never stepped out of California so I don't think it's a Federal Spec. And I tried using the FAQ's to find out which spec i am, but I don't have the silver plate on the passenger firewall. So if there was another way that i can find out, I'd appreciate it.

Yeah, check the Vin. As far as the silver plate: the Vin is engraved to the front of the firewall. The fact that you don't have the silver plate with all the car's info on it sounds suspicious to me. When you bought it, did you run a carfax? Does the car have a clean title? I don't see the reasoning in removing that plate unless it was to repaint the car, like it was in an accident (although i don't know who would paint the firewall) or if it was stolen.

Also, if you've been under the car, look at how many O2 sensors plug into the Y-pipe. JUST THE Y-PIPE, not including the cat or the b-pipe. If there's 2, then indeed you do have a cali-spec car.

Just because your car never "stepped out of california" doesen't mean it's not a fed spec. My car was originally sold in queens,NY, then i bought it in PA, and it's a cali spec. IT seems like nissan just tossed out whatever model it felt like when distributing it's cars.

Are you the original owner of the car? If not, find out the history of it. I actually have the original window sticker from the car, so i know exactly when the car was built and sold. My theory is that for states with near-impossible emissons testing, like CA and NJ, Nissan shipped the cali spec cars. Even though my car was first bought in NY, it was shipped to Elizabeth, NJ.

I wouldn't seat the fact that the y-pipe doesn't match up, it just means that installation won't be quick and painless, it means you'll have to have a muffler shop do some custom welding.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:45 PM

when we removed the stock y-pipe, it was connected to 2 02 sensors. And my friend that also has a 95 doesn't have that silver plate either. The nubs are there but the plate is missing, same case with me too. No I've never ran a carfax on my car. So my car is a cali-spec car? for sure? I'm so happy that I've found out the spec of my car. Yeah, I think I'm going to have to have a custom pipe to finish off the rest of my y-pipe. I'm either going to do that or jump on the y-pipe group deal, whichever is cheaper.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

Check the ECU code, then refer to the Jim Wolf Technology Website in the ECU section, it has all codes, for FED spec or Cali.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/tech_details.asp

Then go to ECU info and match with your manufacturing code form your ECU, and the chart tells whether its Fed or Cali
Old 04-05-2004, 08:01 AM

i was on custommaxima.com, and i saw the 2 piece y-pipe. IT's meant to fit cali and fed emissions cars.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Hooooooonda.....

it's a 95, it's FED not CALI.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Big D
it's a 95, it's FED not CALI.
so my car's fed not cali? I have two 02 sensors in the y-pipe.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:48 PM

i'm going to say your car is cali-spec, based on the fact that Fed spec cars have only one O2 sensor in the pipe itself.

since you don't have the plate on the firewall, check your insurance card, because the VIN should be on there too.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:36 PM

i went thou with this whole fed and cali spec ok you have 2 O2 sensors then yours is FED!!!

cali have 3 o2 sensors + 95 cant be cali

even thou your silver plate said cali its not

mine is like that too

i have fed spec y-pipe

if you need details i ll search it for you
Old 04-06-2004, 07:11 PM

okay so if it's 95, then all of them are fed spec? cuz that's wat budget told me also but that was the first time hearing that so i didn't think anything big about it. and if fed spec's have 1 02 sensor and if I have 2 02 sensors in my y-pipe then wouldn't that mean that I'm a cali-spec? can someone please explain everything? I'd really really appreciate it.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:43 PM

if you pop the hood and look where the exhaust manifold is ( a little higher, near the block) , you will see 2 connectors, if this is true you have a fed. If there are more, you have a cali.
Please correct me if i'm worng.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:18 PM

okay so if it's 95, then all of them are fed spec? cuz that's wat budget told me also but that was the first time hearing that so i didn't think anything big about it. and if fed spec's have 1 02 sensor and if I have 2 02 sensors in my y-pipe then wouldn't that mean that I'm a cali-spec? can someone please explain everything? I'd really really appreciate it.
FED Spec cars have 2 02 Sensors
CALI Spec cars have 3 02 Sensors

You have 2 02 Sensors, so your car is FED Spec
Old 04-06-2004, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by SuperFishstick
if you pop the hood and look where the exhaust manifold is ( a little higher, near the block) , you will see 2 connectors, if this is true you have a fed. If there are more, you have a cali.
Please correct me if i'm worng.
You are correct sir!
Old 04-07-2004, 05:45 AM

bother

dont bother looking under the hood he said he has a 95 which = FED not to mention he has only 2 O2 sensors further proving he has FED not CALI
Old 04-07-2004, 05:56 AM
My heroine

To explain.. cali spec and fed spec had the same o2 sensors and whatnot from 95-98.. however there is a cali and fed for those years.. it just doesn't matter when you get a y-pipe.. but there are different vin #'s. In 99 they changed the amount of o2 sensors so 99 is the only year that makes a difference in fed/cali spec y-pipes.

The pipe you have appears to be from a 99 cali spec, you need a 97-99 fed spec.. I dunno how you can get it to fit. best bet I would think would be to try and sell it to somebody that has a 99 cali spec and buy yourself a new one from budget.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:26 PM

u kno funny thing. When I first started this, people were saying that it was a Cali and towards the end everyone said that it was fed because of the two 02 sensors but i just got back from the dealer and I got the Model #. (The number that's on the metal plate that's located on the firewall starting with BLHUL). and turns out that I'm a cali-spec. The twelve letter is a V. The guy who helped me didn't really know exactly what I was asking so he gave me a little sheet that has my car's info. He also told me that my car's ODB-I which I don't know the meaning to. But there's something that I still don't understand. If feds have two 02 sensors in the y-pipe alone, and cali-spec has more, then how am I a cali-spec? because I have two 02 sensors in the y-pipe.

willis- yeah it is from a cali-spec 99. I dunno if I should sell it or not. and even if I did, I still dunno which spec to get for a new y-pipe. I'm all confused man.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Offset Is Everything.

hah jeez peter. still havnt gotten it figured out yet? im just as lost as you are... why cant they just make one type to make things so much simpler. hope you find the answer man.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:06 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=283706

there that should give you all the info you need

and you are fed!!
Old 04-07-2004, 05:50 PM

alright silvia, i get it now. Thanks for the info man. well i guess i gotta sell this pipe. This pipe wouldn't fit a 00 Maxima by any chance would it?
Old 04-08-2004, 01:46 PM

silvia: I stand corrected........

Peter: When i got my Y-pipe from warpspeed, the box said 99-01, so i'm assuming it would. However, there was an extra hanger included in the box that is only used on the 5th gens. I'm not sure if only the WS pipe uses it, ot if all brands of y-pipe need it.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:32 PM

cuz i have a friend with a 00 se that could use it i'll just sell it to him if he can. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks.