4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

which dustboots? not KYB

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 07:34 PM

which dustboots? not KYB

For those of you who got new dustboots and bumpstops from Pep Boys or Kragen, do you know what the part # was? I'm planning to get a new suspension set up but don't want to spend the money for KYB dustboots. I just want something that works. Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 03-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Bumpity Bump. I would also appreciate this info. The KYBs cost around $60 for all 4 and I know there have to be cheaper ones.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:43 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I've been going through this ordeal for over a month. I ordered my struts and some Nissan dustboots. Then I realized that the Nissan's have extremely tall dust boots. The KYB have a shortened dust boot built in.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:46 PM
Hooooooonda.....

You mean AGX have them built in? We just need the boots.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:47 PM

yeah i've heard of someone just getting those and cutting them so that they fit. The thing is, I wanna install my suspension on Sunday and I can't wait for KYBs to be shipped. I just want to go out to an auto parts store and get some that will work. Where'd u get your Nissan boots? How much would the dealer charge?
Old 03-11-2004, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by PeTeRtheEaTeR
For those of you who got new dustboots and bumpstops from Pep Boys or Kragen, do you know what the part # was? I'm planning to get a new suspension set up but don't want to spend the money for KYB dustboots. I just want something that works. Any ideas or suggestions?
For the rear boots i went with nissan's factory replacements....nothing else i could find.

For the fronts check out napa auto parts and ask for a MacPherson Strut Bumper/boot kit.

For the record i havent installed the front on the max yet, BUT i have seen a pic of the kyb agx boots and these look exactly like the agx boots.
The part number on the box is 141577.

The application does not say its for a maxima, so i cannot gaurantee that it will work (until i try it in the spring). They are way cheaper than nissans boots, and look like they should fit well.....My recommendation is that you go and buy the kyb boots if you can get them. I know i would have bought the kyb boots if i didn't live in Canada.
Goodluck
Old 03-12-2004, 01:57 AM
V^___^V

stealership dusboots could be expensive. why not just use the old dustboots off your OEM shocks (unless it's all torn).

cattman sells 4 KYB dustboots for $68 shipped to your door. if dealership can beat that price then go for it. but i would still pick up KYB dustboots.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
stealership dusboots could be expensive. why not just use the old dustboots off your OEM shocks (unless it's all torn).

cattman sells 4 KYB dustboots for $68 shipped to your door. if dealership can beat that price then go for it. but i would still pick up KYB dustboots.

i know KYB boots would work but it's just that I don't think it'll come to my door by Sunday. My stock ones are all torn up already and I need replacements fast, so the best thing I can think of is to go to an auto parts store and just buy them there. I know some people have done this. Where are you guys? Help me out, please.

Originally Posted by MAXSRB
For the rear boots i went with nissan's factory replacements....nothing else i could find.

For the fronts check out napa auto parts and ask for a MacPherson Strut Bumper/boot kit.

For the record i havent installed the front on the max yet, BUT i have seen a pic of the kyb agx boots and these look exactly like the agx boots.
The part number on the box is 141577.

The application does not say its for a maxima, so i cannot gaurantee that it will work (until i try it in the spring). They are way cheaper than nissans boots, and look like they should fit well.....My recommendation is that you go and buy the kyb boots if you can get them. I know i would have bought the kyb boots if i didn't live in Canada.
Goodluck
Thanks for the part number. They don't have these for the fronts? I think I may have to go to the dealership. How much was it? Do you remember? I'm thinking that the dealership mite have to order them too so it might be better if I went to CATTMAN instead. Dang it, I'm screwed.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:15 AM
V^___^V

i know KYB boots would work but it's just that I don't think it'll come to my door by Sunday. My stock ones are all torn up already and I need replacements fast, so the best thing I can think of is to go to an auto parts store and just buy them there. I know some people have done this. Where are you guys? Help me out, please.
i'm from norcal actually. if you're from the area i would highly recommend turbo95max (matthel) to help you out with any installation.

you should definetly check out west forum under regional section. a lot of socal guys are willing to help you out if you are willing to drive out and stuff. we have meets once awhile (socal has more meets than norcal), and it's just nice to step outside the internet and actually meet the orgers in real life.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
i'm from norcal actually. if you're from the area i would highly recommend turbo95max (matthel) to help you out with any installation.

you should definetly check out west forum under regional section. a lot of socal guys are willing to help you out if you are willing to drive out and stuff. we have meets once awhile (socal has more meets than norcal), and it's just nice to step outside the internet and actually meet the orgers in real life.
Actually, I meant "where are the people who got dustboots that aren't KYBs" Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
After doing some searching on the org prior to doing my suspension install recently I found this information:

"SB103 for the fronts and SB108 for the rears. Select the front boots for 95' Mustang (SB103) and rear boots for 95' Miata (SB108)."

I thought that with all of the people looking to do suspension installs I would post what information I had gathered while assembling my parts for my install.

I went to advanced auto and purchased my parts. I did this out of convenience and because I hate waiting for mail-order parts. Advance Auto sells KYB struts for most cars (at least the GR2 model) so I thought that I would try there.

DO NOT BUY THE PARTS THAT THEY LIST AS OEM REPLACEMENTS FOR THE MAXIMA!

So here is the good information-

For the rears:
The advanced auto number was listed as a part 14108 for a company called TRW. The advanced item # is 18511582. According to Advanced auto the KYB ones are made by TRW and repackaged.

This weekend I compared it with the KYB part and they are identical right down to the stampings.

I got this part by asking them for a part for the 95 miata and they came up w/ the 14108 part number, which matched the KYB number (SB108) pretty closely.

For the fronts:
You can do the same with the mustang number (SB103). A friend gave me his KYB fronts and the # was SB103. The advanced auto computers can cross-reference those numbers. I checked with them on this and they have a direct-match part number listed in the computer system.

All 4 boots are about $15 each. They take about 2 days to get in.
Would Pep Boys or Kragen have these parts? Has anyone tried asking them for these part numbers? I think I'm going to have to do that tomorrow. Hopefully they'll have something.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had a ton of trouble with this as well. I couldn't find ANYTHING in town that would work. Even the Stealership had to order. I ended up ordering KYB from O'Reilly, but I'm still waiting. I was hoping to install tomorrow, but that may not happen. I'm actually a little pi$$ed with O'Reilly. I ordered Strut mounts as well (about 9 days ago) and they haven't rec'd either part yet. If I can't install tomorrow, it will be at least 3 more weeks of looking at the box in my living room that says "Tokico advance handling kit." That sucks!!!
Old 03-12-2004, 06:34 AM

i guess i'm crap outta luck then. Damn it.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:55 PM

I just wanted to share (for O'Reilly's sake) that the parts finally came in this afternoon, and I'll be able to install tomorrow afterall. WoooHoooo!
Old 03-12-2004, 09:16 PM

I copied a note about dustboots a while backm the person wrote that these work:

dust boots: Pepboys "Silver E" universal boots $5.00

Let us know if that is correct. Good luck.

Mr.P
Old 03-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

i guess i'm crap outta luck then. Damn it.
The post of mine that you quoted from the FAQs is all that you need to go into any auto parts store and get the right boots. Some stores will have them in stock- mine locally did not, but other guys said that they just walked in and the place had them in stock. You will not find the boots for under $60 for the set. Go with the info that I quoted to you, and if you run around to stores tomorrow, you SHOULD be able to get a set before Sunday. Just call auto parts stores and see who has them in stock.

If yuo are lowering the car, I woudl NOT go with OEM, and the ones that places list as stock-replacement will NOT fit, as I noted in he post that you referenced.

Email me if you have any ?s and I will try to answer them as best as I can.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:03 PM
V^___^V

i called up stealership today and they said:

$24 for front strut dustboots
$48 for rear strut dustboots

so ur better off with KYB dustboots. you can try the universal ones, but why bother when you can just order from cattman for $68 shipped to your door and slap them on? that's just IMO.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:10 AM

thanks everyone. It really helped me out a lot. I gotta start running around town to look for them now. Wish me Luck~!
Old 03-13-2004, 11:33 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Yeah, Nissan is slightly more $$$ than KYB but you don't have to pay shipping. So....
Old 03-13-2004, 11:57 PM

Since O'Reilly did come through for me in time, I thought I'd let you know they only charged $14 plus $4 s/h for a total of $60 plus tax. Not bad. And I ordered them on Monday, received on Friday. It was the mounts I was pi$$ed about earlier, since I ordered them a full week before the boots and they arrived on the same day (the day before I planned to install).
Old 03-14-2004, 05:42 AM
Banned

with the kybs don't you also get shortened bumpstops which is impoortatn when lowering your car...?gives you more suspension travel another inch or so....
Old 03-14-2004, 09:33 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Torgus
with the kybs don't you also get shortened bumpstops which is impoortatn when lowering your car...?gives you more suspension travel another inch or so....
Yes, the KYBs do give you the shortened bumpstops, which returns to you some of the suspension travel that is lost when lowering.