4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How much would a B-pipe add with Y pipe??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 03:45 PM

How much would a B-pipe add with Y pipe??

How much HP would a B pipe add with a Ypipe involved, and everything else stock. I am not looking for a "drone" or noise when cruising, and even want it kinda quite when WOT too. Would this add noise if its resonated? Also, what kinda HP is it, is it even worth it??? I would get a custom one done at the shop where I know a guy that works there. Is it really worth it? Thanks!
Old 02-25-2004, 04:19 PM

I will like to know too. I am thinking about getting a Y-pipe and B-pipe.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by XIMA96SE
I will like to know too. I am thinking about getting a Y-pipe and B-pipe.
im thinking about around 15 to 20 hp sence they have the most restrictions.....u should have gotten the y pipe from the GD for around 160, try calling warpspeed and see if they can get u one still, they have a new exhaust system commin out for lik 250 or so, so im waiting on that. but yea im thinking around 15 to 20 hp, but not sure. im still waiting for my y pipe so i guess we'll find out how much it does when i get it.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:57 PM

It makes sense. why increase the exhaust piping in the front and keep it smaller and more restricted in the back.
A friend of mine works at an exhaust shop told me that installing a y-pipe and b-pipe without increasing the piping through to the muffler is a waste of money. I just installed my y-pipe from last weeks' Group deal from warpspeed. I felt very little gains but my friend said I would feel a lot more if I increased the size piping all the way to the muffler. Which I plan to do soon. he's going to make me a good deal. He's done group deals for Altimas.net but has never made a bolt-on exhaust for a maxima. I guess my car will be the proto-type.

I'll let you guys know how it works out.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:03 PM

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaPerformance

I only have an intake, don't have my exhaust yet, but here's what I've heard:
Y: 12-15, some say 20
Cat: 0-1 (test pipe isn't much more, if any)
B: 3-5
Muffler: 0-3
Intake:5-7
If you get them all, it might be more than the sum of each because there's no bottleneck.

As far as noise, I have a K&N and it sounds the same at idle, sounds louder (very nice powerful tone) at WOT. Most of the noise from exhaust depends on the muffler, although a good lined flex section and resonated B pipe also make it quieter. Does this sound reasonable to those who actually HAVE these parts?
Old 02-25-2004, 08:37 PM

I did get the Y from the GD, came today, goes on tomorrow, thats why the question, lol. But I want to keep the stock muffler for sound, i HATE loud exhaust if its not a V8. I jsut want power.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jr'sMaxima
I did get the Y from the GD, came today, goes on tomorrow, thats why the question, lol. But I want to keep the stock muffler for sound, i HATE loud exhaust if its not a V8. I jsut want power.
you will get an increase with the stock muffler, i donno what the guy above is talking about and if that's soo true then if i took off my stock muffler off i should get at least half of that gain......................not true, the stock muffler can handle what the y pipe puts out just fine, it will be a little better gain if u get a new muffler or b pipe, there is alot of people that got a good increase over ther y pipe with the rest of the exhaust stock, that's what im doing for now, like i said earlier the y pipe has 3 restrictions on the fed spec and if u remove thoes there would be more back pressure it ur whole system, then there is a preaty good restriction on the B pipe...right after the resonator , which will help also.....
here is some proof..........
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/522
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/504
this guy had a stock muffler and a stuck B pipe in some cases
Old 02-25-2004, 09:06 PM

I also got the Y pipe from the group deal and it came today but i took off my old one last night so it would be an easy job today- paid off installation was a snap. Taking off the stock one was a pain in my *** it took 3 1/2 hours and the main part off the problem wasnt the rust it was accessing the bolts on the middle manifold of the y pipe, all the other bolts were a snap, anyways those of you about to install youll see, and those of you thinking of getting the y pipe, i say go for it, i noticed the difference in the low rpms and then my intakes growl higher up, i think ill be really happy when i get my b pipe in two weeks, then comes high flow cat. hope i was helpful
Old 02-26-2004, 08:29 AM

refer to the following threads for info:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=280204

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=280420

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=279666

This is some stuff I was going through in the past month. I was wanting the same thing....power without all the loud sound. I got a 5th gen muffler, and had a custom b-pipe made. I chose to stick with the stock resonator, but you can do differently. I might later too. Anyway, I don't have my y-pipe on there yet, but when I do, I don't expect it to be that much louder. It got a littler louder when I put the b-pipe on there because I had him use 2.5" piping all the way. Plus, the 5th gen muffler can let out more than the stock 4th gen...it has two pipes that are both used at WOT.

I would not recommend buying a b-pipe from someone. Too expensive. I got this guy to put all that under my car for $50, and it looks good. I can feel a little boost, and the b-pipe is supposed to give about 5-6 hp. The muffler gives nowhere near 3 hp, even in the best conditions....sorry budha. Also, intake gives nowhere near 5 hp....at best, most people say they might gain 1hp from intake. Y-pipe does give 15-20 according to most. Total, I would guess you should be about a gain of 20-25hp if you do all of the above discussed. That is still al ot of gain for a N/A car.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
The muffler gives nowhere near 3 hp, even in the best conditions....sorry budha. Also, intake gives nowhere near 5 hp....at best, most people say they might gain 1hp from intake. Y-pipe does give 15-20 according to most. Total, I would guess you should be about a gain of 20-25hp if you do all of the above discussed. That is still al ot of gain for a N/A car.
Yeah I was just quoting that site I referenced, trying to give some estimates. I haven't done any dynos myself. Glad there are people that have actually done the work here too!
Old 02-26-2004, 11:19 AM

cool, opinions are helpful
Old 02-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Custom User Title

I would not recommend buying a b-pipe from someone. Too expensive. I got this guy to put all that under my car for $50, and it looks good. I can feel a little boost, and the b-pipe is supposed to give about 5-6 hp. The muffler gives nowhere near 3 hp, even in the best conditions....sorry budha. Also, intake gives nowhere near 5 hp....at best, most people say they might gain 1hp from intake. Y-pipe does give 15-20 according to most. Total, I would guess you should be about a gain of 20-25hp if you do all of the above discussed. That is still al ot of gain for a N/A car.
Do you have any pics of the custom b-pipe? How is the craftsmanship?
Old 02-26-2004, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by conz35
I also got the Y pipe from the group deal and it came today but i took off my old one last night so it would be an easy job today- paid off installation was a snap. Taking off the stock one was a pain in my *** it took 3 1/2 hours and the main part off the problem wasnt the rust it was accessing the bolts on the middle manifold of the y pipe, all the other bolts were a snap, anyways those of you about to install youll see, and those of you thinking of getting the y pipe, i say go for it, i noticed the difference in the low rpms and then my intakes growl higher up, i think ill be really happy when i get my b pipe in two weeks, then comes high flow cat. hope i was helpful

If its not too late and you dont mind me buttin in- dont bother with the hi flow cat. The $100-200 is better spent on other things. You are lucky to get 1 HP out of it.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:11 PM

that is basically what I have gathered about the high flow cat too.

Imstockbaby, I will try to put some pics up like next week. I don't have a digi cam, so I have to just take pics and then put them on a cd when they develop them. The craftmanship is excellent! I am so surprised actually how exact and straight everything is. I am very well pleased.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Custom User Title

Imstockbaby, I will try to put some pics up like next week. I don't have a digi cam, so I have to just take pics and then put them on a cd when they develop them. The craftmanship is excellent! I am so surprised actually how exact and straight everything is. I am very well pleased.
Sounds cool, so do you think the gains from the b-pipe are worth what you paid for?
Old 02-26-2004, 01:09 PM

oh yeah, I mean, 5-hp for $50.....you tell me! That is a pretty good deal, I think!
Old 02-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Custom User Title

oh yeah, I mean, 5-hp for $50.....you tell me! That is a pretty good deal, I think!
$50? That's dirt cheap!! I might have to get this done next week. Is it just the pipe going to the muffler, or did they install a resinator? Any difference in sound? B-pipe = my next mod.....

Also: How long did it take the shop to fabricate and install it? Peace.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:27 PM

Yeah how long and where did you get it that cheap i got a qoute for $80 but i dont know if that includes a resinator??? Is it better to get a resinator or not, any HP difference???
Old 02-26-2004, 02:02 PM

I left the stock resonator on there for now. I don't think it makes any difference to have an aftermarket resonator for hp. I mean, the only reason it is there, is for muffling of raspy sound. If you want to open it up a little more, you could just not have a resonator. But that would prob be pretty loud.

I just went to this place down here called Burt's Masterbend Muffler.....and he quoted me that. I would get the guy to come off of the $80.

It only took about 35-45 minutes for him to bend the piping and cut and put on and everything. I just showed up there with the 5th gen muffler in my trunk, and then 45 minutes later, I was driving away with it all on my max. It was great!

It is slightly louder than stock. Barely, barely, barely louder. I mean, a little lower. There is a little more pep in her step too now.

Let me know what you guys do, either with a pm or something else.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:11 PM

I left the stock resonator on there for now. I don't think it makes any difference to have an aftermarket resonator for hp. I mean, the only reason it is there, is for muffling of raspy sound. If you want to open it up a little more, you could just not have a resonator. But that would prob be pretty loud.

I just went to this place down here called Burt's Masterbend Muffler.....and he quoted me that. I would get the guy to come off of the $80.

It only took about 35-45 minutes for him to bend the piping and cut and put on and everything. I just showed up there with the 5th gen muffler in my trunk, and then 45 minutes later, I was driving away with it all on my max. It was great!

It is slightly louder than stock. Barely, barely, barely louder. I mean, a little lower. There is a little more pep in her step too now.

Let me know what you guys do, either with a pm or something else.
im getting a b pipe also in a bit, but its gonna be non resonated because here in utah the laws are that u can't have the lowest part on the car lower than 3" off the ground and my stock resonator is the lowest part on the car, so that means that i can only drop the car about an 1" or so. im gonna go with some warpspeed cat back, and they said that its preaty queit, and loudness don't really bother me, just as long as it reasonable
Old 02-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Banned

aftermarket mufflers and b pipes don't do a whole lot but make noise imo. i'd still get them but the real hp is from the y.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

..so what this place did for you was cut the outlet of the bpipe and inlet to the muffler..and put in a new pipe for you. for 50 bucks? did he use a mandrel bender to keep the piping 2.25 throughout the whole section on the custom bpipe..?? or was it still pressure bent?
Old 02-26-2004, 02:50 PM

yup....$50.
Nope...no mandrel. Nobody in this entire city has a mandrel bender. I called every muffler shop around....like 32 of them. It doesn't really matter though. I mean, I only had 2" with stock piping. I got 2.5" (not 2.25") all the way back. Even though it was pressure bent, at worst, I lose less than a 1/4" through the turns. that is still more than I had and not worth a few hundred more dollars to me. What about you?
Old 02-26-2004, 04:54 PM

sounds good.. i think i may go copy you..ahah..good looking out.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:17 AM

WTF ban in here too...
Old 03-25-2005, 05:35 AM

I have about the same setup. Budget Y pipe and Budget B pipe with resonator with stock cat and stock muffler with 4 inch ss tip. The lack of pre-cats makes it a little louder than stock but I am talking just a little. Someone that does not own a max would not know the difference in sound but you will know the difference in power. I am very happy with the setup, especially after the three mufflers I went through before getting back to the stock one, aftermarket performance mufflers too loud for me.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:16 AM

I have the Budget Y-pipe but won't get the Budget B-pipe. They cost slightly more than the Y and only add about 5HP. Not worth it, IMO. And I would never consider some $50 POS.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:35 AM
the Light is among you

Where the hell is this GD for a Y pipe at $160? What brand?

I've looked in the GD forum and can't seem to find it. Could someone give me a link or something? Is the GD still on for this?

When I emailed Budget they said a Ypipe would be $250 shipped. If this $160 one is good quality, I'm there.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:37 AM

You're comparing Cdn$ to US$, so think about US$205 for the Budget and remember to compare stainless steel to stainless steel not stainless steel to aluminized.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:53 AM
the Light is among you

I would prefer SS to aluminized. I drove my last car for 8 years, I think I'll be driving this sum beech for at least that long so the SS would be better. If your right about the Cndn$ vs. US$ that would be cool, Budget didn't mention that at all though. I'm going to call and check.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:04 AM

Have you ever heard the term "exchange rates"? At Thursday's close, that is what it works out to. May cost you a bit more on Visa or a money order. Who cares? The Budget Y-pipe is a top-notch product.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:20 AM
the Light is among you

Duuhhhh.Timmeeeeeh!!

Of course I've heard of exchange rates. It's just that I emailed Budget and asked them how much it would be for a SS Ypipe shipped to Ohio at my zip. They told me $250 without mentioning anything else. I just thought they might have raised their price because of demand or something. If you're correct and the price is really about $205 then I'll find out when I call and order one.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:24 AM

I suspect they want to remit in Canadian dollars. So if you use Visa, which is what I did (but I live in Canada), Visa will simply convert the transaction to US$ at the prevailing exchange rate. There is nothing to cheque with Budget on other than the method of payment. They can't set an exchange rate in stone and that's why they quote in Cdn$ and prefer that their sales are denominated in Cdn$.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:23 AM

I consulted with Dallas from Warpspeed regarding their aluminized y-pipe and he sent me the following:

If you order because you are a Maxima.org member it is $160 delivered, we
will need the year and model and if you let us know the color of the car
we'll make sure you get a decal as well.
You can call our toll free number 9-5 CST and use MasterCard or Visa or use
Paypal using bmfjeep@yahoo.com
866-801-9338.

I also asked him about the SS model, and he said that it is $250 delivered.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:42 AM

i was about to get a custom resonated b-pipe made by a local muffler shop and they say it would run me about 60 bux, but the problem is, they use crush bending, so during those 90 degree bends, thats going to reduce the piping diameter by almost 35%, i was thinking in a good, way that buying the mandrel bend b-pipe might be better for performance.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:50 AM

I suspect otherwise it would defeat the purpose of getting the B-pipe in the first place.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:50 AM

the only reason I got the B pipe and new stock muffler was because my b pipe and muffler was rusted out. if your B pipe is fine dont waiste the cash.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:12 AM

i dunno about wasting money, if you look at motorvate.ca, it does show a 6 hp and 7 tq gain to the wheels.