4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

The new 'Zaust (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 07:04 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

The new 'Zaust (pics)

So I finally broke down and just went to Lou's Custom Exhaust in waltham to get my **** taken care of. I ended up having them take the stock path but with 2.5" piping. 18" glasspack resonator and magnaflow muffler. Everything welded in...no more flanges from the cat back.

I had them take the stock path since there really aren't a lot of gains to be had by doing the catback, and I have alerady had SIGNIFICANT problems with scraping on H&R/AGX. I figure since the cat back wasn't really restricting much, upgrading to 2.5" piping would be more than enough. The exhaust is about as loud as it was with the hole in it, which isn't too loud. Doesn't drone at ALL on the highway, and has slight burbling on downshifting...I could do with a few more pops but we'll see how it does as it breaks in. Muffler looks good...very large...maybe a teeny bit ricey from up close, but I'll let you guys be the judge (I'm real picky about rice so...). Alignment on the tip is perfect.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Very nice and understated. I like!! Maybe you can get someone with a digi video camera and post some sound clips. We need to gather a database, which i think ceasar was trying to do awhile ago, of as many maximas with different exhaust set-ups...

Oh, and i know the feeling of scrapping on inclines, i do it all the time with my dual exhaust/B+G springs...

Eric
Old 01-22-2004, 07:55 AM

Looks great, very clean. Would really like to hear it, hopefully Ceaser can compile all the different exhausts that he was working on.....
Old 01-22-2004, 09:13 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Thanks! Glad peeps like it.

Yea it was Ceasar who was compiling them. I have a vid camera...I'll try to get some sound clips posted up so people can hear it.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:49 AM

I like the muffler, it looks clean. What magnaflow muffler is that? Could you post the part number if possible and price you paid for it.

-Nick
Old 01-22-2004, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by endus
Thanks! Glad peeps like it.

Yea it was Ceasar who was compiling them. I have a vid camera...I'll try to get some sound clips posted up so people can hear it.

Good, cant wait to hear it. My friend (timz96SE) used to have a magnaflow, but it sounded kinda raspy at the upper RPMs. Interested to see how yours sounds...

Eric
Old 01-22-2004, 09:56 AM

heck ya post sounds+videos plz
Old 01-22-2004, 10:20 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by 95CustomMaxima
I like the muffler, it looks clean. What magnaflow muffler is that? Could you post the part number if possible and price you paid for it.

-Nick
I'll try to get the part #...I think I have it somewhere or I can figure it out from their website.

Did I not post what I paid? Meant to. It was mad expensive...475 for the whole deal. Not sure what the magna cost alone, but I know it added another 50 bucks over the cheaper muffler they were going to give me at first.

I will see if I can get audio tonight...
Old 01-22-2004, 10:23 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Also,

The muffler is actually pretty quiet at the upper RPM's. It has a deep tone in the lower RPM ranges, but fades out as you get up in RPM's. Part of that is because I have the frankencar and that **** just SCREAMS in the upper RPMs, so it's hard to hear the exhaust. I do hear a little rumbling from back there that wasn't there before, but it's actually pertty quiet at high rpm.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Banned

you got ripped off. holy ****. go back and complain. tell him you used to buy coke off lou's brother...they love hearing that .

i had my shizzle(cat back) done for much cheaper by lou's. a magnaflow muff costs 120 at lou's or it did a year ago.

muff-120
b pipe-120
y pipe install- 60
resonator- 60

i was told it would have been cheaper if i did it all at once and didn't do it one at a time.

my buddy got an estimate of 500, from lou's, for dual catback with 2 flowies 2 SS tips.

oh ya. buy a y pipe asap.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:53 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Sux4me, I knew I was paying too much, but I'm not worried about it. Which Lou's did you get it at? Just curious.

Yea Y-pipe is going in as soon as possible.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Banned

lou's in north reading all the guys there are mad cool. a y will make your exhaust sound so mean...i have a extremly simliar one to yours.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:27 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by Torgus
lou's in north reading all the guys there are mad cool. a y will make your exhaust sound so mean...i have a extremly simliar one to yours.

Yea the dudes at waltham were real cool too. They tried to talk me out of replacing the piping, which is why I can't beleive they overcharged me that much. I mean I usually can tell when they're BSing me, and these guys seemed pretty straight up. Oh well, no big deal since I didn't pay for it anyway.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:38 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by endus
I had them take the stock path since there really aren't a lot of gains to be had by doing the catback
this statement confused me. isn't ur piping running the same way the stock exhaust piping is run? thats how cat back's are too. IMHO it looks nice, for the price tho, i would have gone with something else like the SP2 fully stainless steel but all in all ur setup looks good.

on another note im gonna get a sound clip of my exhaust soon as well, once the weather clears up a bit. its a ebay axle back and budgey y with a stock b.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:48 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Hooo hooo...just heard the exhaust from outside the car for the first time, and then listened to some of the clips on Caesar's site. Let's just say...I'm satisfied with what I paid.

The muffler is a Magnaflow 14829.

After hearing it outside the car I can safely say that this exhaust pretty much met all my expectations. I didn't want anything ricey or so loud it was ghetto. I wanted something that sounded and looked good, but wasn't intrusive. That's what I got.

****PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE**** Right click on the links and choose "Save Target As" and save them to your hdd if you're going to listen more than once. Please don't keep DLing them from my webserver. Do me this favor since I made a special trip to get clips to post...THANK YOU!!!! I really appreciate it.

Revving, outside car (maybe it does pop...lol)...
http://www.endus.com/sound/exrev.mp3

High speed pass (nice, can hear the midpipe too)
http://www.endus.com/sound/exhspass.mp3

Inside car, starting and driving about 30 mph...
http://www.endus.com/sound/exincar.mp3
Old 01-22-2004, 08:07 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by nismos14
this statement confused me. isn't ur piping running the same way the stock exhaust piping is run? thats how cat back's are too. IMHO it looks nice, for the price tho, i would have gone with something else like the SP2 fully stainless steel but all in all ur setup looks good.

on another note im gonna get a sound clip of my exhaust soon as well, once the weather clears up a bit. its a ebay axle back and budgey y with a stock b.
Thanks. Yea I've been talking to other people about their exhausts and on some cars you can straigten out the piping, but you're right that there's no way you could really take any other path on ours. It's just a habit to say that.

The Greddy SP2 looks decent although I'm not a big fan of the tip and I believe it was coming in even more expensive than mine. I didn't want to wait for sound clips and pics, but I think I just saw the first thread about it on the org today so...oh well. I wanted something unique and I didn't like how the older Greddy sounded at all. The all SS was mos def pimped, but unless the SP2 sound clips are REALLY insane, I'm happy with what I got. It was kind of a snap decision, but it turned out well.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Maxima95Tuner

wow that sounds really good. the high speed pass sounds MEAN.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:34 PM

Yeah thats pretty much exactly how my magnaflow sounds... seeing as its the same muffler, heh. Looks good, I think mine is a bit further under the bumper (not tucked, but more or less even with the cutout). Either way it's nice.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:05 PM

NICE TAILS
j/k sounds a LOT like my OBX-H
only diff is my exhaust looks ricey as hell, and yours is clean!
Old 01-22-2004, 09:56 PM

WOW........the passing is MEAN. I love that. Now, put up what it sounds like with a Ypipe, then lets hear how loud it gets, lol.

I likie though!
Old 01-22-2004, 10:13 PM

A tad too subduded for my taste but as you said after break in it should a little more agressive, add a Y pipe and it should be perfect. There's no way I'd pay that much for pinch pipe either.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Yeah put on a y-pipe, you'll want to go back to stock. A y-pipe just makes it much louder and raspier. When I had the WS with no other mods you couldn't even hear that I had an aftermarket exhaust on my car, after the y everything went downhill.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:29 AM
be the change u want2C

Does the Complete Cat Back have any sensor holes? Im scared of getting a custom exhaust done cause of that
Old 01-23-2004, 04:21 AM

come back down my drive way if u dont like scraping on inclines. its terrible, u have to be so careful not to scrape.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:05 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Haha, thanks guys. Yea I'm worried about how the Y is going to make it sound too, but it's gotta go in for performance. I was pretty surprised at how the high spe4ed pass sounde too...nice.

As far as the tails , I've never liked any of the tailight mods or the clear corners in the front on the Green max. If I owned any other color I probably would have done them.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:06 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
Does the Complete Cat Back have any sensor holes? Im scared of getting a custom exhaust done cause of that
I don't beleive there are any sensor holes after the cat....or is there....there might have been one o2 sensor. I can't remember. I wouldn't worry about it though...that's what exhaust shops are there for.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:38 AM

sounds awesome.. but maybe a little too loud for me though.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:22 PM
Banned

hah
you think its loud now?
the y is going to make that thing nice and loud. just wait. it it's going to sound soooo damn mean... hehe
its worth it! buy a budget y and wrap it!
Old 01-24-2004, 06:16 PM

Awesome bro! Thats Magnaflow Muffler #14829. Its the same one I have. Sounds about the same to. Wanna hear some popping? Start the car up on a very cold start and then rev it up, youll sound like a darn Pop corn machine outside lol.

Sweet bro!

PS: I have a warpspeed Y pipe on my car, and Yes your car is going to be enormously loud when you install the y pipe. So get ready! lol

Nick

Old 01-24-2004, 06:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Exhaust sounds really nice. If you ever get a Y pipe, the exhaust will become 4 times as loud.