4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sorry, more catback questions (APEXi, JIC Bullet, OBX)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 10:08 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Sorry, more catback questions (APEXi, JIC Bullet, OBX)

My situation is this: my parents slid my car into/over a wall in my driveway (an unbelievable level of yelling went on...especially as they were sliding around making it worse when I noticed) and I basically need a new catback. Since it's 750 bucks for a factory one, I'd much rather go aftermarket. Before this I was thinking of a 2k muffler...but now I need the pipe...and I want an exhaust that fits the cutout better. I still want something QUIET though...I'm down for a nice deep sound that's louder than stock, but I can't have too much droning and DEFINITELY no buzzing/fart-canning/etc. Also, I live in the North east so ANY rust issues will become my issues sooner than later...I need something that can handle some salt.

I thought I had decided on the OBX after hearing meccanoble's sound clips, which sounded nice. But now I'm thinking back to my ride in a supercharged Max that was running the JIC bullet exhaust. I remember the Bullet having a really nice quiet sound. Does anyone else have this exhaust? How has it treated you? Any issues? This exhaust is enpensive, but seems very nice and if I remember right was VERY quiet...and no hose clamp to correct fitment.

Then I was looking at

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/?MaximaCatbacks

and noticed the APEXi for the first time. What fitment problems does this exhaust have on later 4th gens? (I have a 98) How hard are they to deal with?

I'll probably be adding a y-pipe next summer as well...so take tht into consideration. If anyone has any experience with the JIC or Apexi exhaust let me know how you like it. Right now I'm leaning towards the bullet even though it's expensive. My car has a few mods (more since the pics on my page) but looks very stock...I am desperately afraid of rice and I like to have things done right. That's why I'm thinking the bullet might be best: no fitment issues, looks pretty clean from what I can tell, and no fartcan. Let me know what you think...

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:24 AM

One thing to consider is that you cant get Mecca's kind of OBX catback anymore. They only made them for a short while and the people that have them now generally keep them. You may also want to consider the new Greddy SP2 exhaust.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:48 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by Sqard
One thing to consider is that you cant get Mecca's kind of OBX catback anymore. They only made them for a short while and the people that have them now generally keep them. You may also want to consider the new Greddy SP2 exhaust.
Supposedly they still have them (cheap!) at this one site, but I emailed them like a week ago and I haven't heard back...so you might be right that I can't even get the OBX. Does anyone have any of the other, available OBX's? Are they quiet? Are the fitment issues the same?

I was thinking about the SP2, but I *really* don't want to keep driving around with a hole in my exhaust until they finally release it...then I need to wait to hear what it sounds like on our car (not going to pay 6-7 hundy for an exhaust never having heard it)...so we're talking like at least probably February...that's way too long.

Looks like the ONE site that carries the bullet is out of stock too...1-2 weeks to ship...sigh...looks like I've got at least a couple weeks before I can get rid of this headache.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:24 AM

SP2 is released, there's been group deals on it already. The other OBX catbacks have a couple issues with the muffler hanging low, and personally, i think it looks very ricey even when fixed, but thats just my opinion. You could always get the older greddy used off the boards, they always pop up.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:29 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by Sqard
SP2 is released, there's been group deals on it already. The other OBX catbacks have a couple issues with the muffler hanging low, and personally, i think it looks very ricey even when fixed, but thats just my opinion. You could always get the older greddy used off the boards, they always pop up.
No kidding? I gotta start checking the GS/FS forum. Does anyone have sound clips/opinions?
Old 12-22-2003, 11:47 AM

The OBX Type-H IMO is pretty loud when accelerating, and drones when crusing till you hit about 80mph, then the intake takes over.

I really can't compare it to any of the other catbacks in terms of loudness, but I do know that the OBX has a great tone. Not harsh or ricey, but nice and clean (due to the two resonators on the b-pipe).

The only fitment problem I had with mine is the tip alignment. The b-pipe didn't hang low at all.

There's a pic of the exhuast in my sig.