4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Check Engine Light for EVAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 04:14 PM

Check Engine Light for EVAP

CEL just came on after I washed the road salt off of my car. I pulled codes 0903 and 0705, EVAP Canister vent control valve and EVAP Control System respectively. I think I screwed up, by getting water in the car somehow ... there's a TSB directly related to this. Its never happened before though. A couple of questions: 1) What does EVAP stand for? 2) How does this affect my car, and its driving ability? 3) Is this a serious, "you need to fix this today" problem?
Thanks guys! Happy Holidays
Old 12-21-2003, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by thisasian
CEL just came on after I washed the road salt off of my car. I pulled codes 0903 and 0705, EVAP Canister vent control valve and EVAP Control System respectively. I think I screwed up, by getting water in the car somehow ... there's a TSB directly related to this. Its never happened before though. A couple of questions: 1) What does EVAP stand for? 2) How does this affect my car, and its driving ability? 3) Is this a serious, "you need to fix this today" problem?
Thanks guys! Happy Holidays
It's pretty worthless...After turning off your car, you should smell a strong sense of unburned fuel...All the EVAP does is control that smell....My car was serviced once under warranty for this, and about 40k miles later, the light came on again, and I just reset it and it hasnt come on in about 4-5 weeks...Tighten your gas cap, reset the ECU, and see if it comes back...If it does, open up your EVAP system (near the back left tire), and spray some WD-40 in the valve that controls the opening and closing of the system (I can get some diagrams if necessary, but its pretty straight-forward). That *should* fix it.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:12 PM
Kevlo for President

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=265311

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0903 indicates a problem with the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Control Valve or its associated electric circuit.

This part is used by the Engine Control Module to perform the fuel system leak test. Since it is used only for self-diagnosis your engine will run perfectly well despite the dashboard Malfunction Indicator Lamp.

The EVAP canister and this valve are located under the car, near the rear left tire. You might check to make sure all the electrical connectors in that area are secure.

There's no telling how expensive the repair will be, because no definite diagnosis has been made. Maybe you just have to re-plug a loose connector.

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0705 points to a problem with the Evaporative Emission Control System.

This malfunction is detected when the EVAP control system has a leak or the EVAP control system does not operate properly. (EVAP = EVAPorative emissions.)
Possible causes include...
- incorrect fuel tank vacuum relief valve
- incorrect fuel filler cap
- fuel filler cap vent remains open or fails to close
- foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
- a leak in the line between the intake manifold and the
EVAP Canister Vacuum Control Valve
- foreign matter caught in the EVAP CVCV
- leaks in the EVAP canister or fuel tank
- leaks in the EVAP purge line (pipe and rubber tube)
- EVAP purge line rubber tube bent
- blocked or bent rubber tube to EVAP control system pressure sensor
- loose or disconnected rubber tube
- EVAP CVCV and circuit
- EVAP Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve and circuit
- absolute pressure sensor
- tank fuel temperature sensor
- MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve and circuit
- blocked or bent rubber tube to MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve
- O-ring of EVAP CVCV is missing or damaged
- water separator
- EVAP canister saturated with water
- EVAP control system pressure sensor
- refueling EVAP vapor cut valve
- ORVR system leaks

This is a "jackpot" DTC. It points to so many things you don't know what to check. It is often combined with another DTC which is more specific and therefore more helpful.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:33 PM

Very cool. Thanks guys.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:31 AM

Recall for 96: http://www.alldata.com/TSB/41/96411757.html
Old 01-04-2004, 01:41 PM

Recall Question

Originally Posted by JaTaN
I've never really understood how recalls work when my car is 8 yrs old, and out of waranty. Does the recall mean I can take my car to a stealership and get them to fix it for free?

Also, does the EVAP stuff make noise? B/c I've been hearing this noise from the back end of my car. At first I thought it was the fuel pump, but I'm now wondering if it's EVAP stuff.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:10 PM

I've never really understood how recalls work when my car is 8 yrs old, and out of waranty. Does the recall mean I can take my car to a stealership and get them to fix it for free?

Also, does the EVAP stuff make noise? B/c I've been hearing this noise from the back end of my car. At first I thought it was the fuel pump, but I'm now wondering if it's EVAP stuff.
The EVAP canister and valve are near the rear tire by the driver's side. I'm not sure if they make a noise or not. Maybe it's broken or loose

"The recall information provided below includes vehicle and equipment campaigns from 1966 to present. The campaigns include motor vehicle products which experienced a safety-related defect or did not comply with federal motor vehicle safety standards." http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/

If your car becomes unsafe to drive or something, then they do a recall. If it's still safe to drive, then they make technical service bulletins: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=267096 TSBs are only fixed for free if you're under the warranty.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey, did you ever fix this? I just got these 2 codes as well, plus the knock sensor code. I just tried resetting it, but no luck. I dont have the time right now to mess with it, so I wanted to see if you fixed it and how... thanks...
Old 02-04-2004, 04:28 PM

I haven't fixed the EVAP stuff, but my CEL (Check Engine Light) hasn't come back on. I might just try to get a used one if that's possible.
I also had my knock sensor code come up once upon a time. That's probably what's making it come back so fast. Get one on eBay, its not too expensive, and your car runs a little better. If you decide to do that, you'll want to get a really long extension and a flex socket. Let me know if you decide to do it, I'll look for the write up that I used.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:21 PM

I haven't fixed the EVAP stuff, but my CEL (Check Engine Light) hasn't come back on. I might just try to get a used one if that's possible.
I also had my knock sensor code come up once upon a time. That's probably what's making it come back so fast. Get one on eBay, its not too expensive, and your car runs a little better. If you decide to do that, you'll want to get a really long extension and a flex socket. Let me know if you decide to do it, I'll look for the write up that I used.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am already getting a new knock sensor, and have found several write ups thanks to the org. thanks anyways though. I think Ill order a new evap vent or something... Dont think it will pass inspection without it. thanks!
Old 02-04-2004, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by kevlo911
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=265311

Diagnostic Trouble Code 0903 indicates a problem with the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Control Valve or its associated electric circuit.

This part is used by the Engine Control Module to perform the fuel system leak test. Since it is used only for self-diagnosis your engine will run perfectly well despite the dashboard Malfunction Indicator Lamp.

The EVAP canister and this valve are located under the car, near the rear left tire. You might check to make sure all the electrical connectors in that area are secure.
I pulled this code. What I found is that the connector plugged in had a wire that was completely corroded through and was obviously not making a connection. What i did is cut the wires, take apart the connector, put two new longer sections of wire in, hooked them back up to the appropriate wire on the harness...plugged it back in and no problems anymore.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Cheesing away...

Someone search for my recall time thread. I've had that recall done on my 96 se a few months ago. Few hundred dollars worth of free parts.