4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Corners And Tail Lights (pics and questions)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 01:16 AM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

New Corners And Tail Lights (pics and questions)

Today I decided to tackle my new hyperblack corner, and red/clear tail light install (all bought from redline max, thanks Ange ). The corners went well, and are on the car (excuse the dark picture)

At night with the headlights on, they just look like stock corners, so i was thinking about putting my stock clear bulb in the small part of the corners. Opinions or suggestions on that?

When it came to put my tail lights on, i ran into a little problem. Pulling the stock tails off, i noticed all the water proof sealant that went between the tail light housing and the car. Do i need to buy sealant to help keep the new tail light water proof against the car? Would the stock sealant still on the car be enough to keep it water proof? The install was done in my garage, and it was starting to rain out...so the stocks went back on, and i really dont like the orange. Any help would be great, what did you do for your tail light install? All the parts fit wonderfully, and came with all the necessary bulbs. The finish is of high quality, and they look a good deal better than stock. The free sticker i got as well will go on the car once the rain calms down, and i can wash the car really good.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:17 AM
SXN

Now here are a couple pics of random pics(yes, my antenna doesnt go all the way down )

Old 11-30-2003, 02:49 AM

looks great, how much were the ones up front...
Old 11-30-2003, 06:06 AM

I see them now Looks great
Old 11-30-2003, 06:26 AM
Boosted?....

What's up caucasian me! Stock sealant will work fine when you reinstall the new tails. If you are concerned, go to an autopart store and buy some clear silicone adhesive. It will take 24 hours to dry. Other than that, I have not tried white bulbs in my hyper black corners and also have mismatched colors at night. Maybe ange will come out with some hyper black projector lights and hyper black clearance lights tooo. *HINT HINT*

Well i'll post pictures of mine soon enough. I'll post them after I get my NX kit installed.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:41 AM

Looks pretty nice!
I'd like to see how those hyperblack corners look on a Forest green Max. If any has done it, post up a pict.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:43 AM

I don't like....they completely clash with the white corner and headlight housings.

Tails will look nice tho..

-Tony
Old 11-30-2003, 10:02 AM

SXN: to get your antenna working again, all you have to do is have someone turn on and off your stereo and while they're do this, spray WD40 on it. You may have to to this about 20 times to get it really clean in there but it works.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:15 AM

your next project is AE headlights and side markers to compliment the hyperblacks. yay. and while you're at it, you might consider DTM to complete the whole tinted lighting scheme.

pics look good, though.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:32 AM

Did your tails not come with any sealant? I bought them same tails and mine came with a roll of silicone. Its kinda messy, but its worth it. If it didnt, i would just go buy some. Shouldnt be that much.
I've also got those hyperblack bumper lenses. I think they look good. and mine are on a White Max. Should look really nice when its all done.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:43 AM
Custom User Title...

Originally Posted by mrglynis
Did your tails not come with any sealant? I bought them same tails and mine came with a roll of silicone. Its kinda messy, but its worth it. If it didnt, i would just go buy some. Shouldnt be that much.
I've also got those hyperblack bumper lenses. I think they look good. and mine are on a White Max. Should look really nice when its all done.

when we put the tails on mendon11's car, we didn't use the extra sealant that came with them. didn't feel it was necessary and he's had no problems as far as i know.

get some pics of those on a white car, haven't seen that yet. i think it's awesome that ange does so much for us, but think the smoked bumper lights are an easy diy. i even prefer mad dhan's over those ones cuz his look completely smoked out and blend into the bumper. if i had a black or dark max, that's what i would do.

anyways, looks good, throw those clears in!
Old 11-30-2003, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jepht20
when we put the tails on mendon11's car, we didn't use the extra sealant that came with them. didn't feel it was necessary and he's had no problems as far as i know.

get some pics of those on a white car, haven't seen that yet. i think it's awesome that ange does so much for us, but think the smoked bumper lights are an easy diy. i even prefer mad dhan's over those ones cuz his look completely smoked out and blend into the bumper. if i had a black or dark max, that's what i would do.

anyways, looks good, throw those clears in!
Ok heres the pic of the bumper lenses:

I can try and take some more if anyones interested. That was the only decent one that i took right after the install.

Heres one of my red/clears:

Old 11-30-2003, 12:50 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by SXN
Now here are a couple pics of random pics(yes, my antenna doesnt go all the way down )
Amazing, my atenna does not go all the way down as well. What's worse is that it gets stuck in the same exact place as yours.

Anway, about the stock bulbs in the clear corner part...my clears came with orange bulbs for the corner, but I think it looks crappy like in your picture. Therefore, I went ahead and put the stock bulb and now the lit orange part in your picture looks yellow and IMO better.

Oh, and about the water sealant around the tails...you don't need or should not need to put more sealant there. If you use a heat gun like I did and you do it with care, the sealant heats up so fast and so "evenly" that you can take the tail light out no prob. Later, you can install it with just as much ease. In addition, you should not worry about it being "waterproof". Just do it slowly and professionally and you will see that it will turn out perfect, like mine did.

Old 11-30-2003, 01:11 PM
SXN

Thanks for the feedback everyone

Mad Dhan: they were the same the same price as clear corners, i got them from ange, and combined them with a group deal of clear corners and red/clears (replacing the clear corners with hyperblacks) The tails and corners came with all the bulbs, all the hardware, arrived on time with no problems, and i got a free sticker.

JaTaN: thanks man

EteRnity059: asian me, whats up? Im glad to here you approve, and i think i might go ahead and get some extra sealant, it's raining really bad right now. Ange has hooked us up with a lot of cool parts...let keep them coming

araffio: thanks for the imput, not everyone has to like them...that why it's opinions. I do eventually want some darker lights/sides, but don't want black outs of any of that crap... we'll see.

deezo: i tried that, but not 20 times, we can see how that goes, thanks for the advice

mchne: thanks for setting up my project list but that does sound cool, thanks for the compliments.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:12 PM
SXN

mrglynis: nope, tails had no sealant. but i think i might add some for safetys sake.

Jepht20: everyone likes my car

mrglynis: did you make those corners yourself? what'd you do?

BOSS: Very helpful comments I want to fix this antenna thing, its been like this for a while...but i don't think its going to go all the way down (it got broken, then repaired) The orange at night pic was just to show how they came, but i definately agree its not pretty, thats why i asked about putting my stock bulbs back in. Does anyone know if that's legal? Don't really care, but something to think about.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=SXN]
mrglynis: did you make those corners yourself? what'd you do?

No they arent homemade. Theyre the hyperblack clears that i bought from Ange. Got my red/clears from her too.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:24 PM
SXN

aha, you said "i could try and take some more if anyone is interested" and i thought you said MAKE, as in you home made them. Yea, Ange had a good deal going around (still does) if anyone is interested. The design of the corners seemed to be an improvement over stock. There was less casting marks and the stud to hold the small portion of the corner in was metal instead of stock plastic.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:38 PM
SXN

for the guys who DID use sealant...what kind did you use? Silicone would be really permament and messy, any other ideas? I want water proofing...not gluing the tail lights on
Old 12-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Custom User Title...

i am pretty sure many people use rtv silicone...
Old 12-01-2003, 08:30 PM
SXN

do you know what the rtv stands for or...means?
Old 12-01-2003, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
for the guys who DID use sealant...what kind did you use? Silicone would be really permament and messy, any other ideas? I want water proofing...not gluing the tail lights on

I used the stuff that came with my tails Dont really know what brand name/kind of silcone it was. Wasnt that silicon on there from the factory? It looked like the same stuff. I wouldnt really consider that very permanent, seeing as how we all removed our tails without too much effort.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:39 PM
SXN

It wasnt silicon, it was black, very sticky and stretchy (reminded me of gum essentially) it wasnt silicon. Many silicons cause a really harsh and relatively permament seal.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Custom User Title...

Room Temperature Vulcanisation??

the stuff that comes with it should work fine. that's what everyone else uses.

have you still not put them in yet?
Old 12-01-2003, 10:07 PM
SXN

nope, not yet. I would like some more water proofing before i install them. Might be the wisest decision... so would RVT be good for my tails?
Old 12-02-2003, 01:03 PM
SXN

i said it was raining here (i dont care about my license plate)

So can i get rtv silicone at auto parts stores (kragen, advance, pep boys)? or is more of a home depot etc, type thing? Anyone?
Old 12-02-2003, 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=SXN]Today I decided to tackle my new hyperblack corner, and red/clear tail light install (all bought from redline max, thanks Ange ). The corners went well, and are on the car (excuse the dark picture)

Lookin good Pierce!
Old 12-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

[QUOTE=SXN] antenna .... QUOTE]

You may try this, it may sound ghetto but it worked for me. This is what I did to fix my antenna. I turned stereo off, and when antenna went down my uncle pushe dit slightly on top and it went all the way in, then I put radio on again and he helped it out. We did this three times. 6 months went by and everything works fine
Old 12-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

last winter, my antenna did the same thing from all the road ****. Take a paper towel, pour some cleaning soloution on it, then (make sure none's watching), rub the towel up and down the antenna, making sure to get the breaks in the anytenna. The reason why i say make sure no one's watching is because they will think you're jerking off the antenna. Then they will make fun of you. After you clean it, turn the radio on and off, like everyone else has said, and spray some silicone spray onto the antenna and turn the radio on and off again. Now, your antenna is clean, lubed and ready for action.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i put "hyper white" (blue) APC bulbs in my clears
looks good & still havn't gotten pulled over for it (knock on wood)

but the stock white bulb will match the stock corners better.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:47 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
Lookin good Pierce!
thanks man...its still looking pretty stockish, im just glad no one bashed me, you gotta start somewhere

Vlad: ive tried giving my antenna an extra little shove, hasn't seemed to work. I think im going to take on Deezos advice, and try power the radio on/off, while greasing it up. ive tried a lot to get it to go all the way back down...nothings worked yet.

fearthegecko: thanks for the advice, and its similar to what deezo said, just more about working the lubricant into the antenna section breaks. Im going to try and fix it next time its in the garage and i got some time (probably saturday, hopefully when the tail lights will go on, im going to clean the interior, etc, and rotate the tires on my buddies integra)

NookieMax: I do want some less yellow/brighter bulbs, but for now, the stocks are easy and available

any suggestion on the silicon?