4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

got beat by an SE-R, what the hell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 02:57 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

got beat by an SE-R, what the hell?

Well not really, but still those things are ufking fast.

To make a long, stupid story short, wound up on I-80 at like 1:30 last night, and went to pass an SE-R, with an exhaust, bodykit, rims, etc. Looked like the guy had traded in his civic for a sentra and stripped the rice from the civic and put it on the sentra. Anyway, i passed him, then he tried to overtake me, and i brought it up to 90, just to see if he'd go after me, then realized i didn't have the radar detector plugged in. Slowed down, let him blow past me, got in the right lane, saw his hazards go on.

really p1ssed me off.

The thing that got me though, is i went from like 40 to 80 really quickly, and for a couple of seconds had him at one car length. then, it was like the max just ran outta power at 90, and he was still pulling.

I definitely need to get my Y-pipe.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah they are
Old 11-08-2003, 03:13 PM

y-pipe will help you.

Andy>> to bad that lude and is300 didn't want to run last night. The lude had a radar detector so I thought he was game. I think you scared him.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:52 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

those se-r's modded properly are real beefy and if its an older se-r with the sr they could have definately had it turbocharged with a swapped in bluebird fwd sr20det even the n/a sr's have good top end power coupled with good mods and a good driver they can run anywhere in the 14's the fact that ur an auto doesnt help either
Old 11-08-2003, 03:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by fearthegecko
Well not really, but still those things are ufking fast.

To make a long, stupid story short, wound up on I-80 at like 1:30 last night, and went to pass an SE-R, with an exhaust, bodykit, rims, etc. Looked like the guy had traded in his civic for a sentra and stripped the rice from the civic and put it on the sentra. Anyway, i passed him, then he tried to overtake me, and i brought it up to 90, just to see if he'd go after me, then realized i didn't have the radar detector plugged in. Slowed down, let him blow past me, got in the right lane, saw his hazards go on.

really p1ssed me off.

The thing that got me though, is i went from like 40 to 80 really quickly, and for a couple of seconds had him at one car length. then, it was like the max just ran outta power at 90, and he was still pulling.

I definitely need to get my Y-pipe.
Does not really suprise me at all actually. I currently own my 4th SE-R. It's a 91 and this is the car that got me into racing nissans in '96. I love my maxima, but It does not pull all the way to 7600 rpm from the factory like my se-r, and handles like a van compared to the se-r. I was running 8.86 in the 1/8 with only I/H/E and a 50 shot of nitrous. It's always a fu(king shame to see a riced out SE-R though. BTW my se-r just underwent a turbo motor swap but............................................... ................................................
Old 11-08-2003, 03:59 PM

i did not know you are an auto. Sorry, you'd get most likely get walked.
The 91-92.5 with the high port head and aggressive intake cam have almost identical 0-60 and 1/4 mi. times as the 5spd maxima. The 93- are a little different and slower.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:22 PM
ivelweyz

dude probably forgot to turn on OD...

Old 11-08-2003, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
dude probably forgot to turn on OD...
doubt it
Old 11-08-2003, 04:25 PM

i once saw a modded SE-R 5spd keep up with my boys 2k2 6spd!

Ant
Old 11-08-2003, 04:55 PM

Yada yada ya, Maxima's suck unless you mod the crap out of them.

Y-pipe & Intake will enable you only to hang with the croud, Exhaust, FlyWheel, UDP, and Blower, will make you competition for the croud.

Dude, I street race everday, If you're like me than I suggest you do the Drop Resister mod and a Turbo .

I installed the Drop Resister mod and my car shifts into third gear at 75mph, Its a gret mod with one draw back, your service engine soon light will turn on every time you use it. It doesn't hurt the engine or car at all though. Its a really cool inexpensive mod, about 10 bucks to do. Ask GoalieKeg about it if your interested he could hook you up with the information on how to do it.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tight_Whip

Y-pipe & Intake will enable you only to hang with the croud, Exhaust, FlyWheel, UDP, and Blower, will make you competition for the croud.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by CullenJ76
Thats how I feel. With all these damn mods I've done and still need to do.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:04 PM

Thats how I feel. With all these damn mods I've done and still need to do.
If that's how you feel, then that's how you feel. It's neither right nor wrong bud. But, if you are not grateful for the max you got, you will never appreciate it.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:22 PM

If that's how you feel, then that's how you feel. It's neither right nor wrong bud. But, if you are not grateful for the max you got, you will never appreciate it.
Oh, dont get me wrong, I love my maxima(s). I just dont know what the hell Nissan was thinking when putting in the 3.0L engine. They could done a few things differntly. Only 190 stock? I mean common. Look at the 2000's they should have done this in their previous models. The looks for our 4th gens are beautiful dont get me wrong, but our beasts are slow when compared to all these new cars in our same range.

I just wish they would have put 3.2L's in the 4th gens stock....
Old 11-08-2003, 05:26 PM

Oh, dont get me wrong, I love my maxima(s). I just dont know what the hell Nissan was thinking when putting in the 3.0L engine. They could done a few things differntly. Only 190 stock? I mean common. Look at the 2000's they should have done this in their previous models. The looks for our 4th gens are beautiful dont get me wrong, but our beasts are slow when compared to all these new cars in our same range.

nissan has never produced a 3.2L motor so are you talking about the 3.5L VQ35DE?
And about only 190hp stock...
"Ask Nissan about the restyled and revised '95 Maxima, and the auto maker will describe its comfortable ride, impressive quietness, stellar safety features, enhanced reliability, environmental benevolence, engaging personality, shiny hair, and sparkling white teeth. Ask us, and we'll tell you how the Maxima SE will whip the Nissan 300ZX, Integra GS-R and Taurus SHO in 0-60 mph and quarter-mile acceleration-and how it challenges or, in some cases, exceeds their handling marks, too."
- Motor Trend
Yes, when it was first produced it was bad a$$ period

and the 2000 had more hp, but they were also heavier and not as quick as the 4th gens
Old 11-08-2003, 05:37 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Oh, dont get me wrong, I love my maxima(s). I just dont know what the hell Nissan was thinking when putting in the 3.0L engine. They could done a few things differntly. Only 190 stock? I mean common. Look at the 2000's they should have done this in their previous models.[/b]
Yeah, WTF was Nissan thinking. They should have released VQ v2.0 of 2000 before VQ 1.0 of 1995 because the 2000 engine is better and more powerful. Yeah, shoulda jumped right to v2.0.

Geez...cars and engines get more powerful every year, and back when the 4th gen was released there was not much that could touch it.

The looks for our 4th gens are beautiful dont get me wrong, but our beasts are slow when compared to all these new cars in our same range.
I have no problems whatsoever taking out a lot of "NEW" cars with significantly more power than mine in my weak 190hp outdated beast. Oh, it's a 5spd. That might matter. I'm actually just putting the finishing touches on an article that talks about this. Maybe after reading, you'll appreciate your car a little bit more.

Go by an Acura 3.2TL then.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:40 PM

nissan has never produced a 3.2L motor so are you talking about the 3.5L VQ35DE?
And about only 190hp stock...
"Ask Nissan about the restyled and revised '95 Maxima, and the auto maker will describe its comfortable ride, impressive quietness, stellar safety features, enhanced reliability, environmental benevolence, engaging personality, shiny hair, and sparkling white teeth. Ask us, and we'll tell you how the Maxima SE will whip the Nissan 300ZX, Integra GS-R and Taurus SHO in 0-60 mph and quarter-mile acceleration-and how it challenges or, in some cases, exceeds their handling marks, too."
- Motor Trend
Yes, when it was first produced it was bad a$$ period

and the 2000 had more hp, but they were also heavier and not as quick as the 4th gens

4th gens rule!
Old 11-08-2003, 05:41 PM

thanks bud. I felt so alone there for a minute.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:01 PM

Here's an oldie but goodie.

That's right, a weak and outdated 95-99 Maxima 5spd has a BETTER thrust to weight ratio than a "state of the art" 260 HP Acura CL-S auto at anything below 5200 rpm (99% of daily driving). And wow, the cars are even capable of the same general 1/4 mile times stock too! High-14's to low-15's.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:02 PM

Tight_Whip drive a 5-speed maxima...the autos just don't do it any justice
Old 11-08-2003, 06:11 PM

And he should also try taking some of that crap out of his trunk.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=262226
Old 11-08-2003, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
Tight_Whip drive a 5-speed maxima...the autos just don't do it any justice
he he, I know what you mean, too late now though. Maybe next time I purchase a car.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Here's an oldie but goodie.

That's right, a weak and outdated 95-99 Maxima 5spd has a BETTER thrust to weight ratio than a "state of the art" 260 HP Acura CL-S auto at anything below 5200 rpm (99% of daily driving). And wow, the cars are even capable of the same general 1/4 mile times stock too! High-14's to low-15's.
That's funny, I was just reading those threads
Old 11-09-2003, 03:19 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

1. It was a 2000+ SE-R, no old school ish.

Saying that something sucks is relative. Does it suck as far as performance? reliability? resale value? And, as far as our statement, it leads it's class in all of these aspects. Minor Point: The maxima is still a 5-person sedan. how does it compare to other vehicles in it's class? (ie camry, galant/millenia, Accord) It smokes the camry and mazda(s), and gives the accord a good run. How will it run against a ferrari? Well, then i guess you could say it sucks.

Dude, I street race everday, If you're like me than I suggest you do the Drop Resister mod and a Turbo
oh is that all? Let me borrow $3500, then i could street race everyday, just like you. Do you race against vin diesel and Ja rule? considering that neither one of them has done anything worthwhile recently, they should have more than enough time to go street racing with you after school.

At that point why not wish for 8-cylinders? That way, we could totally destroy these 4-cylinder punks, AND compete with the lexus GSs and Caddilic STS/CTS

5. Yes, OD was off, having an auto sucks all the time except for those long stop-and-go rides home from work, and as far as that one dude that was talking about the SE-r's sports suspension: Afriend of mine has a 99 Sentra GXE which handles better than my max. Hell, my tempo handled better than my max.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:49 AM

I love how so many people love to ***** and complain when a relatively brand new car barely beats their 4th gen maxima in a race.

if you drive a 4th gen, your car is between 5 and 9 years old... some of you take that fact for granted.

comparing a 4th gen maxima to a brand new car is apples to oranges, and even knowing that fact, there's still plenty of brand new cars that the 4th gen keeps up with and/or outperforms.

honda drivers spend $24,000 on their '03 RSX type S that has trouble keeping up with our 4th gens that probably cost you 6 grand when you bought it used last year.

so what the hell are you complaining about? pit a '96 maxima against a '96 integra and see what happens.
you get my idea. put things into correct perspective before you complain about your car, and if you don't like your maxima, sell it. we'd rather not have you driving one if you don't take at least some pride in it.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:54 AM

1. It was a 2000+ SE-R, no old school ish.

Saying that something sucks is relative. Does it suck as far as performance? reliability? resale value? And, as far as our statement, it leads it's class in all of these aspects. Minor Point: The maxima is still a 5-person sedan. how does it compare to other vehicles in it's class? (ie camry, galant/millenia, Accord) It smokes the camry and mazda(s), and gives the accord a good run. How will it run against a ferrari? Well, then i guess you could say it sucks.

oh is that all? Let me borrow $3500, then i could street race everyday, just like you. Do you race against vin diesel and Ja rule? considering that neither one of them has done anything worthwhile recently, they should have more than enough time to go street racing with you after school.

At that point why not wish for 8-cylinders? That way, we could totally destroy these 4-cylinder punks, AND compete with the lexus GSs and Caddilic STS/CTS

5. Yes, OD was off, having an auto sucks all the time except for those long stop-and-go rides home from work, and as far as that one dude that was talking about the SE-r's sports suspension: Afriend of mine has a 99 Sentra GXE which handles better than my max. Hell, my tempo handled better than my max.
i'm happy with my maxima but i wished it did come with a little more hp under the hood.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:33 AM
V^___^V

"a FWD car that weights 3000 lbs+ will never become a TRUE sportscar. period." yes i have to admit our VQ30DE is reliable and smooth. it also has decent amount of torque across the powerband. sure you can go ahead force inducted, but very few people are in the 11-12s. even if they arein 11-12s, think about how much money, time, and effort they put into it. in addition our car also does not handle too well.

i'm not trying to bash our max, just a state of reality. be happy and appreciate what you have and all the hardwork you put into modding and understanding your car. just remember... there's always a faster car out there.

"a FWD car that weights 3000 lbs+ will never become a TRUE sportscar. period."
Old 11-09-2003, 05:41 AM

and as far as that one dude that was talking about the SE-r's sports suspension: Afriend of mine has a 99 Sentra GXE which handles better than my max. Hell, my tempo handled better than my max.
True, but in '91 when the SE-R was first produced it pulled as many G's on the skidpad as every ferrari except the F40
Old 11-09-2003, 06:13 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

while not a big fan of the new SE-R (the QR motor sucks *****) the old school ones are the $hit. Although the new SE-Rs are known to run mid 14s with some bolt-ons..I like my 92, thats getting a DET in the spring. Mmmm DET

Old 11-09-2003, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
while not a big fan of the new SE-R (the QR motor sucks *****) the old school ones are the $hit. Although the new SE-Rs are known to run mid 14s with some bolt-ons..I like my 92, thats getting a DET in the spring. Mmmm DET

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...1/fda64462.jpg
Don't mean to go OT but I'm just curious, what are the major complaints about the QR engine vs the SR?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:50 AM
The original VQ...

does the fact that it is six speed have anything to do with the reason he got you after 90???, im not sure but it musta ben modded because i thought the new se-r's weren't to fast. And there is a few turbo older ones i always see in ct especialy on the pike, i know they can roast me so dont sleep people.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:54 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Don't mean to go OT but I'm just curious, what are the major complaints about the QR engine vs the SR?
QR is an open deck design, and without changing the internals, you really cant boost more than about 260 WHP. The SRs many stock internaled turbo cars are putting down 450 + HP. THe sr is one strong as$ motor!

not to mention the 6100 rev limit, when i test drove an 02, i kept hittin the damn thing. With the JWT ECU, my 92 revs to 7800

Old 11-09-2003, 07:58 AM

All that's fine and well, but you better have a tranny or 2 lying around to handle that power...notorious for that...
Old 11-09-2003, 08:00 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

All that's fine and well, but you better have a tranny or 2 lying around to handle that power...notorious for that...
damn right. nissan builds a badd a$$ motor (SR) and a tranny that can barely handle 160 WHP with just bolt ons although PAR now make a gearbox that can handle the power! Just be prepared to spend about $2,500!

Old 11-09-2003, 08:10 AM

Speaking of which...http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread....5&page=1&pp=20
Old 11-09-2003, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
QR is an open deck design, and without changing the internals, you really cant boost more than about 260 WHP. The SRs many stock internaled turbo cars are putting down 450 + HP. THe sr is one strong as$ motor!

not to mention the 6100 rev limit, when i test drove an 02, i kept hittin the damn thing. With the JWT ECU, my 92 revs to 7800
are you going with a bluebird or GTI-R det? Ditto on the comments about the QR compared to the SR. Can't wait for my SE-R to be running again.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:15 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Love those SR boards! One guy has been thru 10 trannys already! I myself am looking foward to blowing up my tranny. I already have 5th gear popout

Old 11-09-2003, 08:16 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

are you going with a bluebird or GTI-R det? Ditto on the comments about the QR compared to the SR. Can't wait for my SE-R to be running again.
Im going with a BB or an Avinuer (sp) I cant wait to be turbo

Old 11-09-2003, 08:26 AM

not one tranny problem out of all four of my SE-R's
Old 11-09-2003, 08:29 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

not one tranny problem out of all four of my SE-R's
Im going to buy a 95-97 tranny, get it cyro'd and shotpeended, and since quiafe doesnt make the LSD anymore im going to run the nismo LSD or the phantom grip. the stock lsd is goin after lots of auto-x and road racing events..

Quick Reply: got beat by an SE-R, what the hell?